Stamina versus endurance. Is there a difference? (Read 940 times)

Man in Tights

The reason I ask this is that nowadays I find myself juiced out towards the end of my runs, whatever the distance. While the lungs are OK the legs and energy levels seem to be flagging. I'm not able to finish my runs well.
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm not sure that stamina and endurance are different. It sounds more to me like you are burned out. According to your log, you ran a marathon in January 2007, had five runs in the first quarter of this year and logged 93 miles in August 2008. Is that accurate? Or did you not log all your runs on RA? If you are coming back from that big a break and increasing mileage that quickly, you probably don't have the endurance you had during your marathon training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Man in Tights

I havent been updating the log. I've been running regularly this year. I'm ok with the short stuff upto 5 miles but after that I struggle. Your'e right I have burn out
          it is all semantics... but.... Endurance in my opinion is just the ability to endure a given quantity of work... can you run x miles... per day.. per week... per month... etc.. Stamina is the ability to maintain a given effort over time... like do you have the stamina to maintain a 7:00 per mile pace over 10 miles? Stamina is related to endurance because without the endurance for a given race distance stamina is a mute point... That being said... based on your 1/2 marathon PR you are running your "Easy" runs faster than "Easy"... According to McMillan based on a 1:36:00 1/2 marathon easy runs should be: Easy Runs 8:14 to 8:44 Long Runs 8:14 to 9:14 Tempo Runs 7:02 to 7:20 Looking at your log I see a bunch of runs between 7:30 and 8:00 and not too many slower than 8:14... perhaps slow down on your easy runs... and run faster on your tempo runs.
            I agree with jsobo1119. Endurance is being an Energizer Bunny. Stamina is being able to hold an intensity longer. Sounds like you may need a change in routine, esp. change in effort / paces across your runs. Do some hard runs that are harder, recovery runs that are recovery. Depending upon what effort you're running now, consider things from conversational with complete, complex sentences to some parts of one or two runs a week being "comfortably hard" - talking in short sentences. If you haven't done fartleks, try them.
            "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            obsessor

stamina is 5k to half-marathon. Endurance is 20 miles to 100. And on. The exact definition (if there is such a thing) probably depends a bit upon the individual.
                To make what I wrote earlier more clear... according to mcmillan 7:20 to 8:14 is no man's land for you... in other words if you run faster than 8:14 then you are going too fast for it to be easy and your are tearing up your body... but if you go slower than 7:20 you aren't going fast enough to reap the benifits of Lactate threshold or anaerobic training... you are simply doing aerobic training with the added bonus of extra wear and tear on your body... ;-)

Man in Tights

Thanks that accounts for the weariness in the legs. Great advice