First winter running ... what to wear? (Read 1666 times)

dennrunner

I'd strongly recommend against cotton at any temperature because it stays wet. 

I pretty much agree with that.  However, everyone is a little different in how sensitive they are to dampness and temperature on their skin.  For me, a wet cotton shirt against my skin in cold weather freezes me.  But a technical shirt, even though it is just as wet as the cotton shirt, doesn't chill me nearly as much.  I'm still wet, but not as cold.  And if I'm wearing a Smartwool shirt, I can be plenty wet but still pretty warm.  Some people are fortunate to not have an issue with cotton—but not me.

Note:  Back when I was much younger before technical shirts were available, the wet and cold of cotton didn't bother me so much.  But it does now.

ymmv

Before you laugh I learned this from big burely construction workers......they wore pantyhose under thier jeans.

I owe my longevity at least partially to the fact that I have never, ever asked a construction worker about anything related to what he wears under his jeans

keeponrunning

Also add in....I'm almost afraid to admit this but a pair of womens nylons under a pair of light weight nylon pants work great too.....right down into the teens.....and damn cheap.

Before you laugh I learned this from big burely construction workers......they wore pantyhose under thier jeans.

GLOVES.....Chuck, I wear throw away liners....they cost like .50/pair.....If it gets to hot I just toss them.....they usually enough but at times I pull out my gore tex cycling gloves.....it has to be pretty cold for them though.

i do the same thing at work (i tend to work in freezer sections of stores with ice-cold air blowing up my back)  seems to help.  at least i'm a girl though.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Inexpensive winter running gear can be found at Walmart, TJ Maxx, Marshall's, and Kohl's. I bought some of my stuff at the end of last season.

Like others have said, depending on how warm/cool you like to feel dress for 20-25 deg above the outside temp. I like to be cool so I dress for 25 deg outside temp. Layer things based on your comfort. On the coldest days, I'll run with tights, shorts (that's all I need for legs into the teens - doesn't get colder than that here in North Texas), then short sleeve compression shirt and long sleeve tek shirt, sometime if its windy and wind breaker vest. On my head I wear ear muff/sweat band (I sweat in all temps), and various gloves, one are mittens that fold back  so parts of fingers are exposed (Walmart).

Last year was my first running winter and I used to use the What to Wear running wizard on Runnersworld.com. I think its still there and might be worth a look.

good luck!

bob e v
          2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Prince of Fatness

I'd strongly recommend against cotton at any temperature because it stays wet.

Yeah, but isn't easier to wipe with?

Anyhow, I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but I like to use a jacket with a zipper over everything.  We get a lot of wind here during the winter, and there is a big difference in the temperature depending on what direction I am running in relative to the wind.  I zipper up into the wind so I don't get cold and unzip with the wind so I don't overheat.

Not at it at all. 

Unless it is lower than like 20 to 25 degrees.....and/or windy out, I normally wear shorts, long sleeve COTTON shirt, fleece beanie, and gloves.  At 25 or lower I also have a pair of Smartwool ultralight long underwear that I will put on under a pair of shorts......they are awesome!  Recently, at COSTCO, I picked up a "base layer" set  (pull-over top and pants) that are REALLY nice.

As a related aside.....I LOVE cotton. I see lots of people say that cotton sucks, but as a top, I love it.  The high-performance wicking shirts I have wick and evaporate moisture so well that it gets too cold for my comfort.  To each, his/her own......

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Great thoughts everyone, thanks! 

I use the +20° rule.  Take whatever the temp is (in °F).  Add 20 to it.  Dress like you would if you were just gonna be hanging out outside (not exercising) at that temperature.  This usually keeps me from overdressing.

That's the most important rule of all in my opinion. Regardless of what I wear - I've got cheap stuff, expensive stuff, old stuff, new stuff - if I'm not comfortable on a run, it's because I broke that rule.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.