Hypothetical maximum - what do you think? (Read 1351 times)

mikeymike

Found it. CIM 2:22:03 in Dec 2002. I didn't even search that far down the list until you pointed this out. I didn't think I'd find that kind a marathon time way down there. That makes it even more interesting. Further evidence what different races they are. The old slow twitch vs fast twitch thing. Guys like Rod Dixon who could go sub-4 for the mile and 2:08 for marathon are the rarest of the rare.
    I wouldn't call Worthen a slow twitch guy. He was a sprinter in high school and college, ran the 100 and 200 in high school and moved up to the 400 in college where he ran a 51. I think his college 800 was 1:58. That's when he started running cross country and discovered distance. He put in 140 mile weeks and 28 mile long runs--the whole deal--to try and get under 2:22.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

People are SOOO fast to claim those faster are simply more talented. It is mentally easier, I guess, to chalk it up to talent you yourself don't have than acknowledge that maybe there is a fundamental difference in the dedication to preparation and training. Before you get up in arms at this comment, I will acknowledge that I used to be guilty of this all the time before I learned better. I used to be a decidedly average to even very slow runner. I ran for 4 years in junior high and thru middle high school anchoring the back of the team (and often just hoping I could beat a few of the girls). There was a kid the same age as me on my team that won almost every race. I marveled at his talent. Well, the summer before junior year, something made me decide I was going to do anything it took to be good. I ran and biked a couple times a day. I probably ran double during the summer what I had ever done before during the season. When cross country started, I ran a 2-minute PR in the 5K and finished within sight of the so-talented kid I admired. I made State, and at State I beat him. Senior year arrived, and we ran shoulder to shoulder the first few races. I trained my tail off. Then one race something amazing happened....when I surged half a mile from the finish, I saw him break. I pulled away and beat him. He never beat me again. I walked on in college, now a big feat (I was a 37-38min 10k runner at that point). For two years, I didn't advance much and again found myself anchoring the back of the team. Then junior year, I spent the winter cross country skiing 2 hours or more every single day. Come track season, I set a 2min 10K PR (mid-34). I repeated that training senior year and ran about the same times but brought my 5K down a few seconds to 16:13. Post college, I was free to train on my own. Within a year I ran my first marathon on 50-some mpw, a new high for me (2:53). Over subsequent years I progressively raised my mileage ever higher and did longer and longer workouts as my body slowly adapted. At age 28 I put together a strong 4 months of training and ran a 30:57 10K with a last 5K of 15:18. My point is that if you had asked me at any point during my teens or 20s how fast I could be, I would have said something a little faster than I was. I never would have dreamed I had the talent to run a 10k under 5min pace. Only by continuously working harder and harder and longer and longer did I eventually work myself right to the point where my body could no longer handle any more volume (105-120 mpw with 3 hard workouts). Does everybody have that kind of talent lurking inside? No. But few few people ever really put in the effort to try. Talent only becomes an issue when you approach the peak training load you can handle (which few people do). Some people, like the kid in my high school, are luck in that it takes less training to bring out their talent (he peaked in early high school and training in college was unable to make him much faster, though I don't think he trained with my passion). But for most of us, we have NO IDEA what our talent level is. I now think I was close, simply because I have reached the same training load and broken down twice now so I don't think I can go much higher.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

JakeKnight

People are SOOO fast to claim those faster are simply more talented. It is mentally easier, I guess, to chalk it up to talent you yourself don't have than acknowledge that maybe there is a fundamental difference in the dedication to preparation and training. Before you get up in arms at this comment, I will acknowledge that I used to be guilty of this all the time before I learned better.
        And some people - read: faster runners, but rarely the fastest - are SOOO fast to claim they did it all through hard work, and talent or genetics or body type didn't have a darn thing to do with it. C'mon. In every human endeavor, every individual has specific levels of natural talent. Or a lack thereof. We don't all start in the same place. We don't all have the same limitations. We don't all have the same talents. Period. Talent matters. Enormously. So does hard work. Talent will never beat hard work plus talent. Hard work will never beat hard work plus greater talent. If I played golf 20 hours a day, I could get good. But I'll never beat Tiger Woods. This is called life. Why do some of you think these two viewpoints are somehow mutually exclusive? They're very, very obviously both true.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

mikeymike

And some people - read: faster runners, but rarely the fastest - are SOOO fast to claim they did it all through hard work, and talent or genetics or body type didn't have a darn thing to do with it.
          Who claimed that?

Runners run

Hawt and sexy

Wow. Late comer to this thread. The title didn't grab me. Although talent helps, I don't know if I believe in talent. What do I mean? Well, the most talented runner in the world probably works the graveyard shift at some convenience store because they hate running. They would rather drive their big gas guzzling SUV everywhere they go and play video games as much as possible so they have 2 jobs to support their lifestyle. Now let's talk Kenya. A rich family in Kenya owns a bike. Distance running is equivalent to our baseball here. Getting to where you need to go generally requires aerobic activity, lots of aerobic activity. Even when a bus can be taken, they probably have to walk or run a few miles to get to the bus stop. They run or walk almost everywhere they go everyday. Their grocery stores are not filled with a bunch of processed foods so the regional diet is generally very healthy. Add an area with high altitude and you have a distance running haven due to the regional habits. That's not genetics, that's lucky birth. Do they work hard at running? Well, yes if they are serious about it, but the biggest factor would be the accumulation of activity over time. The don't have cars given to them at 16 or 17 years old and start the downhill spiral from there. The lifestyle there demands aerobic activity for basic life needs. If it is hard work to live then you just hope to run fast enough to make it to a training camps. Fitness is ingrained into the local culture so well, that they can go fairly deep in running and still manage to put out runners that will not be world class, but they certainly could feed a family for quite a while by running two or three races a year. Hell, if they wanted to run a race a week, they might feed the whole town. This is what happens when your sport is revered. But i would have to say, that is not talent, that is years of hard work. I guess talent is useless without desire. Part of the problem we have here in the US is that people have gotten used to having things either bought at the store or otherwise handed to them. Our work ethic has gone to shit. I blame Wal-Mart.

I'm touching your pants.

... My point is that if you had asked me at any point during my teens or 20s how fast I could be, I would have said something a little faster than I was. I never would have dreamed I had the talent to run a 10k under 5min pace. Only by continuously working harder and harder and longer and longer did I eventually work myself right to the point where my body could no longer handle any more volume (105-120 mpw with 3 hard workouts). Does everybody have that kind of talent lurking inside? No. But few few people ever really put in the effort to try. Talent only becomes an issue when you approach the peak training load you can handle (which few people do)...
              I don't think this could be said better. The rest of your story almost got me all choked up... I'm gonna get out my old copy of Ron Daws' "The Self-Made Olympian" and read it again.

Marquess of Utopia

I've been reading this the past couple days; great discussion. There is no doubt that hard training will take you along ways. The mind and heart play such a big role in maximizing one's abilities. Desire, perseverance, patience, a bit of obsessiveness, the mind being in tune with one's body are just some of the things that help a person to "succeed". Were we born with those attributes or was it a learned behavior or perhaps a bit of both. Has anyone else seen the movie "Gattaca"? Great movie that touches on this discussion. If physicians, geneticists, psychologists could ever come up with a physical exam and a questioner to tell you what's your hypothetical maximum is, it wouldn't work, because it would just be another barrier for us break.
                “Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead.” - Roger Bannister

A Saucy Wench

If it is hard work to live then you just hope to run fast enough to make it to a training camps. Fitness is ingrained into the local culture so well, that they can go fairly deep in running and still manage to put out runners that will not be world class, but they certainly could feed a family for quite a while by running two or three races a year. Hell, if they wanted to run a race a week, they might feed the whole town. This is what happens when your sport is revered. But i would have to say, that is not talent, that is years of hard work. .
                  And those that dont? You dont think there are some Kenyans who work their asses off and run to the bus and run to school and just arent fast enough to go to the training camps? I am not saying that absolutely...working like they do from the time they are old enough to run has a lot to do with their success. That doesnt mean that among those who work equally hard there is equal potential. I do not buy that. I really dont think that if you took every human being on the planet and from birth groomed them to be a runner and all of them worked equally hard that they would have equal results. We are not that uniform. Hell, machines DESIGNED to be uniform with every part the same size and every angle and gear and fuel mix and oxygen mix aren't as uniform as you purport humans to be. Tightly controlled processes still yield product of varying results. Human production is not nearly so tightly controlled. The thread really didnt go where I was pointing, but where it ended up was more interesting I think.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

When I see the word talent, I use it interchangeably with genetics. I think that there are a lot of things that go into being a talented runner. There are the obvious factors, such as speed, dominant muscle fibers, and things like that, but there are probably other factors to consider. For example, I believe that the training load you can handle and how well you respond to that load are both genetic factors. As spaniel mentioned above, he has worked up to a certain load twice and has broken down at that load twice. Maybe a coincidence, but maybe not. In high school, the coach used to make summer/off-season plans for us to follow to stay in shape and get ready for the next season. I was one of the few people who actually followed them, and I was pretty hard-working, but just like a lot of high schoolers, I had a tendency to be lazy and slack off a little. There was another kid on the team who was a hard worker as well, but he was no slacker. I used to see him running all the time when I was fooling around with my friends. My senior year, we started the season with PRs of 10:00 (me) and 11:00 (him). After the state meet, our PRs stood at 9:20 and 11:00. Two years later, I was at the state meet of his senior year where he ran a PR in the 10:30 range. I know that talent played a part in my being faster to start, but I think that I also responded to the training load in a better way than he did. Basically, that's a sort of long-winded way of saying that I agree with what JakeKnight said above. My high school teammate trained hard, often assuring me that his goal was to beat all my PRs. He was more diligent than I was, but no matter how hard he trained I could still beat him on a bad day. Some people just have a higher cap than others. As much as it may suck, that's genetics. And it does suck, because I would love to be a professional badminton player. Sadly, I just don't have what it takes!
                    JakeKnight

Who claimed that?
                      If that isn't what's being claimed - then what's the discussion about? Because I know nobody is saying that elite athletes don't work hard - and its seemingly being implied that that's what's being said. I read this thread 14 times and I still can't figure it out. I suspect that mostly people are saying the same things and not realizing it. I can't believe anybody sincerely denies the enormous role natural talent plays in success - not just in running, but in any human activity. You don't get to be Mozart or Michael Jordan or Meb (like the alliteration?) through hard work alone. You need a gift. A talent. I can't believe anybody sincerely believes that hard work isn't important in success - not just in running, but in any human activity. You don't get to be Mozart or MJ or Meb without hard work, either. I'm assuming everybody agrees with those two statements put together. So I'm not even sure what people are talking about. What I think is that people are looking at it through their own biases and seeing stuff that isn't really being said. I think slower runners who work hard are annoyed because THEY know they work hard, but are limited by their abilities; I think faster runners are annoyed because despite their natural abilities, they still have to work hard, too. There's a bottom line here that just can't be denied by anybody with a functioning brain: talent alone will only get you so far. Hard work alone will only get you so far. Nobody succeeds at high levels in any endeavor without both. Is it even possible to disagree with that?

mikeymike

Is it even possible to disagree with that?
                        I don't think so. But I think the point some people have been trying to make in this thread is that as athletes talent is something we should spend zero percent of our time worrying about. Convincing yourself that natural talent is not a factor actually can have very positive effects on your results. Because if you eliminate talent from the equation you're left with the only thing you actually can control; the work. The only way to find out how much talent you actually have is to assume that talent is not a factor and that hard work is the only thing that matters.

Runners run

JakeKnight

But I think the point some people have been trying to make in this thread is that as athletes talent is something we should spend zero percent of our time worrying about. Convincing yourself that natural talent is not a factor actually can have very positive effects on your results. Because if you eliminate talent from the equation you're left with the only thing you actually can control; the work.
                          I agree with this about 80%. The 80% I agree with is because one thing I know is that most of us - if we're willing to work hard enough - can probably do a hella lot more than we think we can. I'll bet with enough incentive or drive or discipline, I could run that sub-3:00 marathon someday. The 20% comes from knowing that you can take this a little too far. I can convince myself that talent isn't a factor all day long, I can work harder than anyone in the universe ... but I'm still not running a 2:15. Thinking I could is the sort of delusional thinking that gets you sent to a place with rubber walls and funny jackets. And if you ignore reality that much, you're going to get really frustrated, with whatever you're doing. And that's just no fun. Dare to dream. But have a little common sense, too.

mikeymike

Yeah you can take anything too far if you want to.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

You can't control talent, and you can't tell what your talent is before you get there. Work, now that you can control. So it is absolutely useless to think or worry about your talent. All you can do is work progressively harder, and set progressively higher yet attainable goals. I did not set my goal at a 31min 10K when I was a 34min 10K runner. When I was a 31:50 10K runner, I thought sub-31 in the long term (and it took 2.5 years to get there). Goals have to be challenging yet attainable. This is true in every setting, not just running. One of the biggest mistakes I made in running was setting a sub-2:22 goal when I was a 2:29 runner. I blew many opportunities to progressively lower my PR with this all-or-nothing goal to get into the Trials. In the end, I was probably in 2:24-2:25 shape in 2003 and 2:21-2:22 shape in 2006 yet never ran to that potential either time....in 2003 I overtrained and did not finish the race after running 2:22 pace for 10 miles. In 2006 I got injured a month out (in my sub-31 10K) and ran-to-finish a 2:28. At this point I don't know if I'll ever be in shape again to approach those times and it would sure be nice to have a 2:24-2:25 on my record now. Inappropriate, over-reaching goal-setting. And yes, I do hear people blame talent and wave off the work component all the time. I can't count the number of people I know who run 20-30mpw and claim they just aren't talented enough to run faster. Barring being too injury-prone to run more than 20-30mpw, all they are doing is making excuses so they don't have to try (see my tag line always at the bottom of my posts). Someone earlier in the thread said someone who has run 3hrs and then 2:20 or something to that effect would have the perspective to comment. I've been a 3hr+ runner and a mid-2:20 runner. Both experiences are still fresh in my mind and it gives an interesting perspective. I ALWAYS thought I trained hard (until the last two years here), yet once your body is in shape and you are doing what it takes to be a 2:20-something runner somehow it is a whole different type of fatigue. You can put yourself through so much more and somehow recover to do it again the next day. It's like when I'd run an early-season 5k, before I was really peaked, and finish feeling like I could do it again yet I could go no faster at the time....then a couple months later I'd run another 5k and was able to push myself so hard that I was trashed for 4 days. It's not that the perceived effort is different (you're working just as hard), it's that your body will take more workload and recover...so you can get more work in even though it may feel roughly similar. For me, I was quite amazed often that I could still run the day after a hard workout, months earlier I never would have recovered in time.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills