Anyone running Marine Corps this weekend? (Read 734 times)

seeEricaRun

Awesome

Cheevers- Tongue disagree on the shirt. I have 4 of them and they are cut for a MAN. They are narrow where they need to have a bit more room.
    Besides being gigantic, they are also hideous. I don't know if they're gold every year, but they were in 2006. The only place I'll wear that thing is around my house. Also, if you're interested in a pace group, I was very happy with my Clif pacer, and I think they're back this year. She was amazing - I don't remember Haine's point at all, because that was during "story time." There was an article on her in last month's Runner's World, actually. Good luck to BostonRnr, and everyone else who's racing!
      Cheevers- Tongue disagree on the shirt. I have 4 of them and they are cut for a MAN. They are narrow where they need to have a bit more room. Good news-the MCM shirts you can buy are really nice. I agree about carrying water and taking the train early. Also, any spectators have to get off before the starting area-just something to think about. My husband will carry all my stuff and I will wear a throw away shirt and gloves for the wait at the start. Good luck. Kathy
      Hmm, maybe that's why I like them. BTW, I was among those who hopped the fence at the train station two years ago. Very messy. Didn't happen last year.
      BostonRnr

I don't know the DC area, but it looks like my hotel may be within walking distance of the start. I'm staying at the Crystal City Doubletree at 300 Army Navy Drive. It's supposed to be 2 blocks from the Pentagon. For those of you who know the area, is it feasible/safe to walk there?

Dave

I don't know the DC area, but it looks like my hotel may be within walking distance of the start. I'm staying at the Crystal City Doubletree at 300 Army Navy Drive. It's supposed to be 2 blocks from the Pentagon. For those of you who know the area, is it feasible/safe to walk there?
          Nice hotel right down near the Pentagon. Easy and safe walk down to the start. You can take Metro over to DC Armory (that is not in such a nice neighborhood) for packet pickup. After the race, your best bet may be walking the mile or so back from the finish to the hotel. Metro is possible from Rosslyn or the Arlington Cemetary stop but it is really crowded after the race. Lots of dining options down in Crystal City as well. Short metro ride over to the National Mall to do some sight seeing. You'll want to leave your car in the garage as much as possible. It is going to be a GREAT day Big grin

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

After the race, your best bet may be walking the mile or so back from the finish to the hotel.
            Even though it's the last thing you really want to do, walking after the race should actually help with your recovery so I think it's a really good idea.
            Lots of dining options down in Crystal City as well. Short metro ride over to the National Mall to do some sight seeing. You'll want to leave your car in the garage as much as possible.
            I went to the Major League Soccer championship game last year, and stayed at the Sheraton in Crystal City. It seemed to me that they rolled up the sidewalks pretty early on Sunday, I was surprised how many restaurants were closed early. Might be something to keep in mind if you crash for a nap, and plan on grabbing a late bite. I lucked out and stumbled upon a Chipotle that was heaven sent.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

BostonRnr

Good news on the location. Sounds like I chose my hotel wisely. I'll be walking or taking the Metro. I won't have a car. I'm staying until Tuesday so I have time to be a tourist...assuming I'm able to walk Dead
              Kimmie

I live 30 miles west of DC but thought I'd ask this question to see if any of the locals know....Where's a good place to drink alcohol after the race? If my race goes well, I want to drink lots and lots of beer. Is there a fun bar in Arlington? I know Crystal City has some options, in addition to the post race festival.

Hey, nice marmot!

Also, if you're taking the train, go early. The platforms get so packed they have to be held in the station to unload. My husband (and a ton of other people) ended up having to hop the station fence to make it in time, and to loosen up the congestion on the platform.
                  Any suggestions as to how early is "early"? The reason I ask is that I did the Army 10 miler a few weeks ago and got a little spooked at the "20,000 runners + spectators" idea. Anyhow, I drove over to the Huntington station to take the train to the Pentagon. I ended up getting to the station around 6:10am and there were very few people around. By the time the train got to the Pentagon, it was still far from what I'd consider crowded (nobody standing and still a few seats available). Maybe I was too "early"? Having said all that, I do realize that the marathon draws a lot more spectators than the 10 miler.

Ben

"The world is my country, science is my religion."-- Christiaan Huygens

xor

I went to the Major League Soccer championship game last year, and stayed at the Sheraton in Crystal City. It seemed to me that they rolled up the sidewalks pretty early on Sunday, I was surprised how many restaurants were closed early. Might be something to keep in mind if you crash for a nap, and plan on grabbing a late bite. I lucked out and stumbled upon a Chipotle that was heaven sent.
                    Ha. I lucked into the same Chipotle sunday night after MCM 2004. There didn't seem to be *anything* going on. As for the shirt, it seems to be very similar every year but NOT that funky color from last year. For example, my 04 shirt is simple gray. They aren't my favorite shirts, but they are cotton. And I'm in the minority, but I always prefer a reasonably sturdy cotton shirt to an el cheapo technical shirt, and sometimes even to a nice technical shirt.

In. I'll be the guy wearing Asics.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

#artbydmcbride

In. I'll be the guy wearing Asics.
                        That's all!!! Shocked

Runners run

Run the race God set B4U

That's all!!! Shocked
                          He He....I was going to say that, but thought I'd get in trouble Big grin
                          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                            Sigh

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs

Boston, my brother and I are staying at the same place. We are planning to walk to the start and walk back so hopefully that works. Good luck.

Those I could stalk with relative confidence (I had to make some assumptions...) are in. If I'm off, let me know and I'll correct it. Way to work! 3:18:07 Fufu Puddlebumper 3:29:44 Greg Rowe 3:39:23 dgb2n 3:56:41 kimmie 3:58:21 BostonRnr (nice debut Susan, your GT5K buds are very proud of you!) 4:22:07 tiggerunner 4:31:28 Lank 4:36:52 Ben_1415 Oddly enough, the search came up empty for Fufu Puddlebumper so I have no result for Save Cheevers. Undecided

E.J.
                                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.