Racing Flats (Read 1284 times)

I've never really had racing flats.  I know a lot of the faster runners wear them but I'm not sure why.  I know they are lighter but do they really make much of a difference?  Wouldn't you rather have the extra cushion?  I don't consider myself a fast runner but I would love to shave off time anywhere I can.  Just wondering if you think it makes that much of a difference.  Especially for something like the marathon.

With that said what racing flats do you think would be the closest to Nike Air Pegasus (11.4 ounces)?  Would that be the Nike Free(8.4 Ounces)?  Are they considered racing flats?  Would it be the Luna Racers at 5.5 ounces?

Teach me master Jedi.

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
    • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
    • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

The Runner Life

I probably wouldn't use the free's, but that's just me.  If you can find a good pair of flats, I highly recommend them.  I use the Brooks Street Racer 3's, which actually have good cushion for a flat, and are still very light (around 8 ounces I think).

If you think about it, the trainers I use are around 12 ounces, so that's an extra pound that your leg is lifting (4 ounce difference) every four steps.  When you multiply that over the course of a race, from 5k to half marathon, it makes a pretty huge difference.  The amount of weight you need to lift off the ground is hundreds of pounds less, so you have more energy for running.

Feeling the growl again

Yes, wearing lighter shoes for racing will make a significant time difference.  How much can be debated but I would not want to race in trainers.  Try the same speed setting on a TM in trainers vs flats and I think the perceived difference in effort will be evident to you.

You shouldn't be trying to pick flats that are "closest" to your trainers.  They are fundamentally different, you need to find a pair that works for you and does not hurt your feet.  Typically they have less cushioning and support so are more likely to give you blisters etc if they don't fit right.

There are different levels of flats.  If you want to run more than 5K-10K in the lighter ones you need to train in them enough to do that or you will destroy your calves due to the lower heel.  Most people wear midweight ones for marathons which retain some cushioning.  

As for rather having cushioning, why would you need cushioning in a 5K?  Are you really going to beat yourself up that bad in such a short race?  For longer races, you need to balance need for cushioning vs speed advantage of lighter weight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

They make a difference. I look for around 6 oz for flats. The supposed formula is for every oz. you lower your shoe weight, you may be able to run 2 sec per mile faster. Who knows if that is right on but I like the idea of possible cutting 10 sec per mile off a race. For a marathon, you have to weigh all factors including your health. Perhaps a performance trainer may be preferred for a full marathon i.e. 8-10 oz. depending on your biomechanics, running form and history of injuries and need for more support.  A nice middle of line weight shoe with a low heel drop, with a bit of stability and about 9 oz is the Saucony Progrid Mirage.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

The Runner Life

They can definitely help you cut time in a race.  I would have loved to have had my flats for my 10 miler yesterday, but I left them at school so I had to live with trainers.  The difference is definitely noticeable