Lower inside leg pain / soleus? (Read 798 times)

So there I was, in the 3rd month of marathon training when I decided to ride the wave of adapations that increased mileage provides. I lined up a couple of 5Ks and brought my PR down to 18:53 -- I was pumped. On the long run immediately following the PR race, however, I started to feel some tension in my lower leg (near Achilles). After about 10 seconds, the tension was replaced with a sharp pain. I tried to stretch it out, but it hurt to do so. I felt around the Achilles, but no pain was evident -- it seemed to originate 4-5 inches above the heel and towards the inside (almost under the Achilles). I took off the entire week and iced/rested it until there was absolutely no pain. Less than a mile into a recovery jog yesterday, however, it returned (there was almost no pain from mile 2 - 3, but it became sore by walking/stretching on it afterwards). I originally assumed it was the Achilles, but some research dubunked that theory. Both calves were fairly tight for the last 2 weeks leading up to the injury, and coupled with my experimentation with strides and foot strikes, I understand I was brewing a mean pot of disaster...but has anyone else ever experienced this before?

Why is it sideways?

Sounds like a calf strain. Massage the knot/ice/elliptical or pool. Stretch the hamstrings, but not the calf. Hydrate. Depending on how bad the strain is, you could be back in a week or a little longer if it's more severe.
        I have a MT session booked for tomorrow and have been icing it fairly frequently. I have to admit, though, I was focusing more of the stretching on the calf. Time give the hams a workout -- thanks for the advice.
          tight hamstrings can cause tightness/sharp pain in the calfs. when the hams are tight & not stretched properly they will "pull" on the deeper soleus muscle especially where they meet with the achilles tendon. be sue to do light stretching before your run, do few minutes of slow warmup runnning, stop & do light stretching, then do your run. do moderate to more intense stretching at end of run. if pain persists, time off is needed. go easy. skyedog