Running form... (Read 1222 times)

There is certainly more to correct running form than footstrike, which is all that has been discussed so far. However, it is a difficult thing to describe in words, so only broad, general concepts can described without video. Here are some opinions, NOT representing myself as an expert! Stance should be close to erect, not leaning back or forward, not bent at the waist. Arm carry varies with the individual, but excessive arm movement represents wasted energy. Generally, the arms should be fairly close to the sides, elbows not out too far. Feet should track straight through the stride, you may have run behind someone whose heels, or one heel, flies out to the side at the back of the stride. This is wasted motion. My own right foot tends to turn inwards as I toe off, it used to be enough that the shoe would squeak on wet roads, waste of energy. Don't lift your knees too high, like a sprinter, don't bounce up and down. You might try to find videos on Youtube or similar of famous runners, some have good form, others not, even though they are world class! Examples: Paula Radcliffe-shakes her head from side to side, often seems tense in her shoulders. Joan Benoit- turns her toes outward midstride, especially the left foot. Greta Waitz, great form, Ryan Hall, great form. I am sure these comments will be controversial- but I think the discussion should go beyond footstrike. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/running-drills.html
      Thank you for that article. I was looking all over for it. Need to do a better job with my bookmarks.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.