A rant regarding marathon goal (Read 853 times)

Tight lipped I just threw up. As for what's the point of running together...I don't know. Crazy women. I'll never understand them and I've got 3 in my household.
    JakeKnight

Tight lipped I just threw up. As for what's the point of running together...I don't know. Crazy women.
      Hey, I'm all for the iPod in training. Just don't really see the point of wearing one when you're with somebody. That's the point of being, you know, with somebody.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

kcam

I guess the difference was from the fact that our training in MS was during hotter and more humid conditions than Chicago. Don't get me wrong, Chicago was hot but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary for us. I think we were just conditioned to the temp a little bit better than some folks.
        This is VERY true. In NorCal even in the worst of summer it hardly gets to the 90's and it's never humid. That day in Chicago was brutal for me. I ran 30 min slower than what I thought was "in the bag" and passed out 15 minutes after finishing the race, dehydrated. I learned yet another hard, marathon lesson - don't underestimate heat/humidity's effect on your performance.
        I do admit that only one 20 miler wasn't enough. My plan for this one will include at least two 20 milers and an additional day of weekday running at an easy pace. We'll see how it goes. I may crash and burn but that's fine with me...at least I tried.
        Good attitude and maybe another 20 miler and another weekday of running will put you over the top on that 4 hour goal.

A Saucy Wench

Hey, I'm all for the iPod in training. Just don't really see the point of wearing one when you're with somebody. That's the point of being, you know, with somebody.
          Less chance of getting mugged? Someone to call 911 if you get run over? Seriously, I admit to being a bit anti-pod myself anyway, but I would never ever wear one if I was running WITH someone. Wow...Seriously you have 2 kids ...long runs would be such a great time to converse and connect. One of the reasons my running partner is my best friend is because over the course of 40 miles a week you can get a whole lot of conversing. And you tend to share the things you wouldnt normally share because you dont have to look them in the eye and you are too tired to care if you come off a bit mushy or whatever. Just from the point of view of a chick, I would LOVE to have dh on long runs with me sometimes. Not every time mind you, because sometimes I need to vent about him Wink. But 3 hours of no kid conversation. WOW.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

But yes it is the Tupelo Marathon Aug. 31. It'll probably be ridiculously hot, however two years ago it was 50 degrees at the 5AM start so you never know. If I get up that AM and it's already 70 I'm pretty sure I'll be closer to 4:15 or 4:30.
            The average low temp in Tupelo for August 31 is 66 degrees with a record low of 53 in 1946. The average high is 89 with a record high of 104 in 1951. Not good conditions for marathoning. I wouldn't count on a peak effort and certainly not a PR when racing anywhere in Mississippi on a typical late August day.