1/2 marathon on may3...don't know if I'll make it (Read 1087 times)

SMART Approach

Well, I'm not feeling as confident now. I just finished my last 10 mile long run before the half and it was horrible. I had to walk quite a few times and my time was awfull. I'm not really worried about time but it seems like over the last few weeks my long runs have gotten harder and harder. My easy runs during the week still seem very easy, but my long runs keep getting harder. Today during my run the temps were in the 80's and I'm not used to that yet, so that may be why today's run was so bad. Could some of you guys look over my log and let know what you think my chances are of finishing the half? My whole log isn't there because I just moved it over to this site in the middle of March, but you can get an idea of what I have been doing. With one week to go I'm starting to panic.
    The heat makes a big difference. It was probably a bad day where you pushed to hold pace with the heat. I think you will be able to finish the half because of "race day" and adrenaline but you have to be very careful during those first two miles. Start at a reasonable pace and don't get pumped and start too fast or it may be a miserable experience.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Time out! Did you say you "started running in January"? You mean "began" running or began training? If you just began a running program in Jan. '09, you're way ahead of yourself (even being a 'youngster' at 33), IMO. Do a couple 5K's to get the race experience. Wait till this time next year or at least in the Fall to tackle the half. It already sounds like you're seeing the beginning of injuries manifesting themselves and, like someone said, half your weekly mileage is a long run, I'm just thinking this is too much/too soon. You've got the rest of your life to run a half or even a full marathon. But if you get injured this soon, your running will suffer for a long time. Good luck. Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

JayMF

We got our first 80F day last Tuesday and the heat made a huge difference in the apparent effort on my evening run - even with a slower pace. I've been used to temps in the 40's for the past few several months. So I'd chalk it up to the heat and not worry too much about that particular run. What time does your half start? Hopefully it's earlier in the morning, so you'll be finished before it gets too hot. If it's later in the day, you'll at least have had some exposure to the heat from your run today. Good luck on your 1/2!