Watch Accelerometer (Read 70 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Does anyone have a watch (also with GPS) with an accelerometer that is relatively accurate for indoor running/walking?

Cyberic

Does anyone have a watch (also with GPS) with an accelerometer that is relatively accurate for indoor running/walking?

All newer Garmins (to my knowledge) have an internal accelerometer. Even if it auto-calibrates when you're running with GPS, I would not call them "relatively accurate", though. Get a foot pod if you want adequate accuracy.

Maybe others have a better opinion of them, but to me they're pretty much worthless.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

All newer Garmins (to my knowledge) have an internal accelerometer. Even if it auto-calibrates when you're running with GPS, I would not call them "relatively accurate", though. Get a foot pod if you want adequate accuracy.

Maybe others have a better opinion of them, but to me they're pretty much worthless.

Didn't know about the auto calibration.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I had awful luck with the footpod. Even doing the calibration, I wound up with such a range of calibration factors that I just gave up and kept the default settings. I now have a Garmin 220 and it seems reasonably close on the treadmill. Since it is on your arm, it impact the pace if you wipe your nose, fix your hair, etc.I prefer the 220 to the footpod.

Cyberic

What you could do is get a watch that has an accelerometer, and see if you like its accuracy. It's no extra cost, so...

It might have to do with the kind of arm swing you have. A guy I know gets good readings from his accelerometer, and he's a big amplitude arm swinger. I don't swing my arms much and it's no good to me.  It might be something else, but that is my guess.

If you don't like it, there is the option of buying a foot pod and try that.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Thanks.  I'll just have to try different ones.   I've never been able to get my tomtom run cardio accelerometer to work properly.  It doesn't learn and I've adjusted my height from 4-8 feet and still can't get an accurate reading.