New to this site: Best time to run? (Read 390 times)

Kassiebby1124

I'm preparing for a 5K in September but I've never done one. I also want to start running for for weight loss reasons. I've ran in the past but since then let it go and I want to start back up again. I just want to know when the best time to run is? Morning? Evening? I mean, it provides a calorie deficit so I naturally think that evening running makes more sense but I'm "training" (with hopes of making running a more permanent thing I do). Opinions?

Thanks!

The best time to run is whenever it is most convenient for you. Seriously. You need to find a time when it will work best into your schedule, so you will have a minimum of excuses to avoid it. Especially when you are starting out, your goal is make it a habit & part of your routine.

Dave

Kassiebby1124

Alright, thank you (:

Mmmmm...beer

What Dave said, whatever works best for you and will allow you to make it a habit.  I try to run early in the morning, that way nothing else during the day can interfere with my run.  I find that if I push it off until the evening, then it's too easy for other stuff to take precedence.  Plus with the heat, it's at least a lil cooler in the morning. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I agree with what has already been said - you should run at a time that's convenient for you and that you can get out there consistently for your training...

WEIGHT - most of your weight will be gained or lost based on the food you eat, not because you are running.

Champions are made when no one is watching

BeeRunB

1:49 pm

Smile

(p.s. when you have time! Sounds like you're new, and carrying some weight. Run at a speed at which you can hold a conversation without having to catch your breath. Easy. A heart rate monitor is a great tool. You can work in an aerobic heart rate range. It will keep you from overdoing it. You might have to walk a bit to stay easy. Walking isn't a bad thing, it helps.)

TJoseph

I don't run as well right after I eat and I like to be done with the run at least a couple of hours before I go to bed or I can't sleep, but other than that anytime is fine.  I am sure there are a lot of people that don't have those problems though and you have to do what works for you.

Kassiebby1124

(: I'm gonna try and push myself to run in the morning then. I feel like I'd get more out of it doing it that way. One last question: How do you control your breathing? I know the whole "breathe in your nose/out your mouth" thing but how do I sync it up? Do I breathe with the music I listen to? With the steps I make? Both?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just breathe.  You're better off not even thinking about it, at this stage, anyway.

Kassiebby1124

Okay, thank you.

DaBurger

How do you control your breathing? I know the whole "breathe in your nose/out your mouth" thing but how do I sync it up? Do I breathe with the music I listen to? With the steps I make? Both?

In your case, if you're out of breath, slow down, the only time I ever think about "in nose/out mouth" or other breathing control tips is when I'm in the last 3rd of or so of a hard interval session (that's usually not going so well) and I've just hit the end of an interval (stuff I'd say you shouldn't worry about) or at the finish line of a race (which if all goes well will happen soon enough).  If you're breathing every step, (i.e. in left foot/out right foot) you're probably going too hard.

Also, IMHO one of the better habits you can get into is to NOT listen to music when you run.  Before is ok, sometimes it's nice to psych up on occasion, but during a run, music in your ear prevents you from a) listening to cars/bikes/traffic/other people running which you should be aware of and b) the tempo of the music will prevent you from listening to your body, feeling how hard your legs are working, and how hard you're breathing, which is important information.  It provides feedback on things from injuries, to diet, to whether you're getting enough sleep.  When I go for a run with other people that run with music, and they keep their music on, I always find that they're working much harder than they should be because they're listening to pump up music.

If you're bored, depending on your environment, play the alphabet game, listen for the birds, watch the squirrels, plan your weekend, try and wrap your mind around something that's confusing,

MTA: What Lincoln said, most of the 2nd half of my anti-music rant is things that you'll start to notice WAY down the line (I've been running HS/College track/XC for 8 years)

Know thyself.

Kassiebby1124

I lied I have another question (I'm sorry!)

But how does one push through the "struggle" when it comes to running? Like the moments when you feel like you're going to give out in any minute mentally, but you know your body can continue? I face that A LOT.

Kassiebby1124

In your case, if you're out of breath, slow down, the only time I ever think about "in nose/out mouth" or other breathing control tips is when I'm in the last 3rd of or so of a hard interval session (that's usually not going so well) and I've just hit the end of an interval (stuff I'd say you shouldn't worry about) or at the finish line of a race (which if all goes well will happen soon enough).  If you're breathing every step, (i.e. in left foot/out right foot) you're probably going too hard.

Also, IMHO one of the better habits you can get into is to NOT listen to music when you run.  Before is ok, sometimes it's nice to psych up on occasion, but during a run, music in your ear prevents you from a) listening to cars/bikes/traffic/other people running which you should be aware of and b) the tempo of the music will prevent you from listening to your body, feeling how hard your legs are working, and how hard you're breathing, which is important information.  It provides feedback on things from injuries, to diet, to whether you're getting enough sleep.  When I go for a run with other people that run with music, and they keep their music on, I always find that they're working much harder than they should be because they're listening to pump up music.

If you're bored, depending on your environment, play the alphabet game, listen for the birds, watch the squirrels, plan your weekend, try and wrap your mind around something that's confusing,

Wow you're the first person who told me NOT to listen to music. See, I'm currently running on a treadmill at the gym so..yeah.

Mmmmm...beer

Forget about the nose/mouth deal, just breath.  +1 for weight loss being more about what you eat than running.  I dropped 85lbs last year and the first 40 of that was before I even started running.  A lot of people have trouble because as your miles increase so does your appetite, so it can take some discipline to keep the calories down while your body is telling you to feed it more.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Kassiebby1124

I've lost 55lbs from changing my diet. Then I started lifting and gained about 5lbs back. I have a calorie counter. I dunno if any of you know about the TDEE method but i eat -20% of my TDEE daily.