Training for HM: Save the 13.1 for that day or train higher mileage? (Read 841 times)

as long as you get in a training run or two in the 10 mile range, you'll fine for getting through the half down the road when you are interested in "racing" a half, you'll probably want to run some 15+ milers
    MM# 1477
      Thank SimonR. I did join the group Smile!
      Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
        When did you run that 10K in 1:05. By your training paces you seem to have gotten faster than that. I see that you are able to run about a 10 min/miles, (unless you are racing all of your training runs which is not the best strategy). I too started running in fall of 2006 and am not remotely fast and am a back of the packer. My training runs are at 11 min/mile to 12 min/mile or slower, but my 5K race pace is about 9min/mile and my 10 mile pace is about 9:30 min/mile. Assuming a 10min/mile pace for your race you should be be able to finish your HM in 2:10 or faster, I'd bet you will be able to do it under 2:00 especially if you get in the over distances runs in.
        I ran the 10K at the end of September in Pittsburgh's "The Great Race". My pace seems to be about 10min/mile most of the time. I find when I run with my friend that it always seems like I'm racing her. We are in training for HM on June 7th, and like to run together for two reasons- company and safety. I do run 1-2 days/week on my own so I run my own pace then.
        Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>

jules2

As you can see we are all different but I think that if you have done a run over 13.10 when you stand on the line for your first HM you will be more confident knowing you have run further. Pacing is the key don't get carried away at the start just because eveybody else seems quicker as you will see them further down the road burnt out.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Although I have very little experience, I just finished my first HM a couple weeks ago in a time that I was happy with and the longest run I got up to in training was two 10 mile runs. On race day, I was wishing that I'd done at least a 12 miler to be more confident at the start line but by the end of the race, things were fine. Good luck!
            keep running!