New to running, but neck gets really sore. to turn my h (Read 102 times)

Pikman

I recently started running outdoors. I have always just ran on a treadmill at the gym, back when I used to go.

I have gone running twice this week, both for about a half an hour, but I find when I am finished, my neck is sore. Is this a normal thing? I never had this issue when running on a treadmill.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Do you want with your hands closed tight,

this can cause pain or tightness in the shoulders and neck

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

AndyP19

I'm not offering you any advice personally. It's your body. I can relate my own experience however which is that when you get into running alot of it initially is conditioning which is why long easy runs are recommended. It gives the body a chance to aclimatise, the muscles and tendons to adapt without straining. 
        Part of the conditioning process for me is getting sore, the trick is to get to know your body to the point where you can recognise the difference between conditioning pain and injury. 
        Best way to get rid of conditioning pain is go for a long easy run the next day to "flush out all the toxins"
        The whole process is stress/recovery/stress/recovery.
        I think alot of people probably give up running because they think they are getting injured when they are just conditioning. But I can't speak for others on their own bodies, just myself

dhuffman63

Trails

Can you have someone watch you run?  My guess is your form is different when running outside than on the TM.  It may just be you getting used to the new form and will subside soon.

Cyberic

As others have said, it might be tight muscles. Try to think of having your hands, your arms and your shoulders loose. Just an idea.

Pikman

I guess I run with closed fists, and I also hold a water bottle. I do notice that I have my head down when running. I am aware that different muscles need to get use to different things, but wasn’t aware that running could cause neck/shoulder pain. I am going to continue running, as I enjoy doing it.

should I be doing some neck and shoulder stretching before hand?

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

As others have said, it might be tight muscles. Try to think of having your hands, your arms and your shoulders loose. Just an idea.

Yep, it's best to strive for relaxation as you run, in your neck, shoulders, fists. Actually, maintaining a kind of relaxation even in your legs can help you to stay within your fitness level and not cramp or injure a muscle.

p.s. Strive may be the wrong word, since it sort of implies straining. Don't strain.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Closed fists are probably the cause.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Pikman

So from what you are all saying,  loosen up my upper body, and don’t clench my fists.

Thank you all for answering my question.

It could be many different things, but every time your foot hits the ground your body has to absorb the impact, from head to toe.  This can cause pain or discomfort if you've got anything going on with your neck (misalignment, muscle tightness/weakness, bulging disc, etc).

I had neck/shoulder issues for years. First during weightlifting - sometimes after squatting or bench pressing it would flare up and I would not be able to turn my head without pain for at first days, then (years later) weeks or longer.  It would also happen after running sometimes, and it really held me back (I'm sure there are notes about it in my running journal from years ago).

It was never so bad that I felt I should get it checked out, but it caused enough pain that it prevented me from exercising as much as I wanted.

Eventually, I got a CT scan after a particularly bad flare up and they found a narrowing of the nerve root canal at c6/c7.  Someone recommended I see a chiropractor and after 6 weeks I've never had the problem again.  Actually, it came back once but resolved within a day or two. Should have gone sooner.

I will also add that during the 10+ years of nagging neck issues, I took a year off of running/lifting and devoted the whole year to yoga, then took a yoga teacher training program and became a yoga teacher.  All of that attention didn't come close to what the chiropractor did for me in 6 weeks.

Obviously this is my unique situation, and your issue is most likely something else entirely.  Perhaps even something that goes away with more conditioning, simple stretching, or a slight tweak in form.  But it never hurts to get something looked at by a professional and save you a lot of time and guesswork.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Do you alternate which hand the water bottle is in? I have shoulder issues and when they have flared up, a 16oz water bottle can set me over the edge.

donel clark

I will also add that during the 10+ years of nagging neck issues, I took a year off of running/lifting and devoted the whole year to yoga, then took a yoga teacher training program and became a yoga teacher. All of that attention didn't come close to what the chiropractor did for me in 6 weeks.

<colgroup width="90"></colgroup>
                          mens hair systems
                          Gizmo2019

Same has happened to me when I started running outdoors. I thought it was from stressing to watch where I’m going, checking behind me, to the side for traffic, switching from a slumped head/shoulders to posturing better. Just new muscles learning new things. Then I got used to it and it went away. Then I stopped running for about a month and when I got back into it, Same neck issues again. I just work at the muscles continuously..stretches, warm ups etc.