Recovery runs? (Read 1241 times)

L Train

Just because "some runners" do it, that does not make it a recommended practice.  Who are those "some runners"?  I'm curious to know.

I've done it--most recently on Sunday. It's not ideal but hey I was training through and there was a 5k I wanted to run on Sunday morning and I wouldn't have a chance to go long afterward. Took the long run at an easy pace on Saturday then let 'r rip on Sunday.

I survived. Onward we go.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I've done it too. PR'd a 15K the day after my first 50K (not all out). Nearly PR'd a 10mi the day after a marathon (not all out).

It was fun. I think there is a lot to be said for running in such a way as to enjoy what you do.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

I did it with a 10K this Labor Day weekend. It's what AP said (the second part at least). My running goal this fall is to just enjoy.

Some runners have been known to race the day after a long run.

I wouldn't recommend it, but during marathon training the old school guys in my club used to do their long run on the way to a 5k or 10k.  They would arrive on tired legs, and race madly.  Really race.  They swear by it, say it was the best marathon simulation training they could get.

Keep in mind these guys were nuts, but they looked good in funny hats.

OLD school, at the 1979 Lowell Marathon (precursor to BayState) the bibs had "Schlitz Light" on 'em.  Greater Lowell coach Jim "run faster!" Stronach.

E.J.
            Greater Lowell Road Runners
            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

Plus they ran in rugby shirts so that after the race they could just throw their boots on and head out on the pitch for a match.

Runners run

enlightening, thanks.

Eyes on the prize.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

#artbydmcbride

Just because "some runners" do it, that does not make it a recommended practice.  Who are those "some runners"?  I'm curious to know.

I'm one of these 'some runners' also.  Big grin

I plan to switch it up this weekend and race a 5k the day before a marathon.  

Runners run

I've done it--most recently on Sunday. It's not ideal but hey I was training through and there was a 5k I wanted to run on Sunday morning and I wouldn't have a chance to go long afterward. Took the long run at an easy pace on Saturday then let 'r rip on Sunday.

I survived. Onward we go.

Well, personally, I would NOT recommend this combination for the reason(s) I've already laid out.  If you or anybody else have done it and loved it and recommend it to all the other readers here, that's your choice.  I guess "just because it's fun and I enjoy it" might be a good reason but there are tons of things I can think of that's "fun and I might enjoy" but wouldn't recommend anybody to do it anyway.  But that's just me.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, personally, I would NOT recommend this combination for the reason(s) I've already laid out.  If you or anybody else have done it and loved it and recommend it to all the other readers here, that's your choice. ...

I didn't see anyone write anything remotely resembling "recommend it to all the other readers here".

Be careful lest you are falling into the fallacy of inventing strawman arguments.

Well, personally, I would NOT recommend this combination for the reason(s) I've already laid out.  If you or anybody else have done it and loved it and recommend it to all the other readers here, that's your choice.  I guess "just because it's fun and I enjoy it" might be a good reason but there are tons of things I can think of that's "fun and I might enjoy" but wouldn't recommend anybody to do it anyway.  But that's just me.

My coach once prescribed an easy 15 miler the day before a 5K race. I believe it was his way of making sure I wasn't able to race the 5K all out. 

I didn't see anyone write anything remotely resembling "recommend it to all the other readers here".

Be careful lest you are falling into the fallacy of inventing strawman arguments.

...And I didn't say you "recommended it".  I said "IF you...recommend it..." ;o)  Okay, I'll shut up now.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

...And I didn't say you "recommended it".  I said "IF you...recommend it..." ;o) 

Oops. Yes, good point.