Stretching/Exercise for Quads & Hamstrings (Read 602 times)

I'm finally getting back into running after a 13 year hiatus! I'm noticing my ROM is very limited and my hamstrings and quads are constantly tight. Do any of you have any suggested stretches/excercises to loosen them and strenghten them? I'm worried about reccurent knee problems if I don't tackle this now. I also had a back fusion about 10 years ago and finally received some PT for it. The therapist recommended focusing on core workouts to strengthen my abs and lower back muscles. Any suggestions in that department would help as well!

Here's to the 3 F's: Family, Fun, Fitness!

Take care.

Wingz

Professional Noob

You might want to ask your PT for some exercises best for your particular situation.  My perception is that physical therapists love to give people exercises and stretches to do... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

Easy running is better than stretching for tight muscles. Walk for five minutes before and after your runs and keep the pace very slow for the first mile or so. I gave up stretching years ago and have been much better off without it.

To strengthen your quads and increase knee support, try lunges, squats and leg extensions. The extensions will give you the most bang for your buck. Your hamstrings don't need any help unless you plan on becoming a sprinter.

Tom

mikeymike

For range of motion I do some drills: knee-high skips, butt kicks, bounding, karaokes.

Here's some examples: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-266-0,00.html

I usually try to do them at least once a week, sometimes also as part of warmup before workouts.

Runners run

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.