Run same distance faster or increase distance (Read 661 times)

SMART Approach

Mangler, If you choose to run just 5.2 miles, I would suggest adding in some Fartlek or spurts of faster activity. Your goals are not to run faster in a 10K or half marathon but just general fitness so 5.2 miles is fine 3-4 days per week with occasionally longer urn but you will illicit a greater metabolic boost if you perk things up a bit throughout your runs. You will create a longer "afterburn" effect. Samples below.... Monday 5.2 miles comfortable with last mile at a faster pace Wed 5.2 miles and within middle do or work up 10 X 15 sec at a fast pace - not all out sprint but fast w/ full jog recovery between Friday 7 miles comfortable Sunday 5.2 miles w/ 6 X 1 min at a faster but not killer pace with full recovery between Tuesday 5.2 miles w/ 1 mile in middle at a faster pace Thursday 5.2 miles and throw in 30 sec. fast spurts whenever you feel like but between spurts, run comfortable. Saturday 7 miles comfortable Mix it up and have fun with it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mangler07

that sounds actually sounds like rather fun Big grin i think i'll try something along those lines thanks Tchuck
      JimR

Just play around with the 5 and the 2. Sometimes run 5.2, sometimes 2.5. Or add the 5 and the 2 and run 7. Then sometimes 25, and if you're feeling really keen, run 52.