Will slow runs affect race time. (Read 917 times)

I have found that quantity at an easy pace is quality.
    I like that. Smile

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

I'll echo everybody else. I try to keep the majority of my miles nice and slow and run more frequently. It must be doing something for me since I've set 2 course records in the past 2 months.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Right on Hereford...

ahhh...but the point is that running slower, but longer and more often will do more for the race time than running fast but less.
        Jumping in here...I agree that the above statement is true as applied to runners, but what about triathletes, or someone who simply can't run more than 3-4 days per week, for whatever reason? It seems like running less-but-faster would still be better than running less-but-slower, right? As a triathlete, I'm just not going to be running more than 4 days per week. Should I do my easy runs at "new" Jack Daniels easy pace or "old" Jack Daniels easy pace, or even faster, like Banana Man does them?

A Saucy Wench

Jumping in here...I agree that the above statement is true as applied to runners, but what about triathletes, or someone who simply can't run more than 3-4 days per week, for whatever reason? It seems like running less-but-faster would still be better than running less-but-slower, right? As a triathlete, I'm just not going to be running more than 4 days per week. Should I do my easy runs at "new" Jack Daniels easy pace or "old" Jack Daniels easy pace, or even faster, like Banana Man does them?
          You still have to take in to account what is the purpose of each workout. Simply going out and hammering each time is not going to help you. If you are running 3-4 days a week because that is all you have time for then still I would only make one of those days a so-called "quality" or speed session. The other runs are to support the speed session. If you can only run 3-4 days a week because you are a multisport athlete then you have to look at the big picture. Hammering all your runs is going to take away from your cycling and swimming and vice versa. You still look at easy and hard, but in the case of a multisport you have to balance things out. Maybe you do 2 runs at recovery and one at tempo because your intervals are in the pool. etc. My friend who does tri's keeps 2 of the 3 sports in "slow" basebuilding and fine tunes the 3rd (intervals, tempos etc.) for a few weeks and then switches and rarely hammers more than one sport at a time until the race.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Right on Hereford...

Ennay, I'm not talking about hammering all my runs -- I don't do that! I usually have just one faster-paced run workout each week. Most of my runs are at "Easy/Long" pace. The question is: which easy/long pace should I use? Old school Jack Daniels (http://www.coacheseducation.com/endur/jack-daniels-nov-00.htm) shows an E/L pace of 7:59 per mile at a VDOT of 52 (which is about where I am right now). New school Jack Daniels http://www.attackpoint.org/trainingpaces.jsp?dist=10000&units=meters&time=39%3A58 says 8:16 pace. That's not a massive difference, but it's enough to be non-trivial. If I understand training theory correctly, the whole idea behind running slower miles is to avoid too much stress. Too much stress means longer recovery times and higher chances of injury. Lower stress allows higher volume, and higher volume makes you faster. However, if you are only running 3-4 days per week, longer recovery times are not such an issue, since you've usually got a day off after each run. And we don't want to avoid stress altogether, because stress is the only thing that promotes the training response. I have a suspicion that given a running schedule of only 3-4 days per week, "easy" pace should be slightly faster than "easy" pace for someone who is running 6-7 days per week. Does this sound correct?
            mikeymike

I have a suspicion that given a running schedule of only 3-4 days per week, "easy" pace should be slightly faster than "easy" pace for someone who is running 6-7 days per week. Does this sound correct?
              Yeah, sort of. But the thing is easy is still easy. And the difference between 7:59 and 8:16 actually IS trivial. That's a lot less than the day-to-day fluctuation in my own easy pace when I just go by what feels easy. I'm always a little surprised that people find the need to even "choose" an easy pace. As if that much planning needs to go into it or as if a few seconds either way makes a difference at all. Just run easy. And, if at all possible, run more. And to the OP's question, no, I don't think your race times will suffer. If anything you'll continue to improve at the same rate. Your aerobic base is your biggest weakness so the more mileage you run, almost regardless of pace, the better off you'll be. I've had periods of months upon months in a row where I did nothing faster in training than YOUR current easy run pace and I still went out and ran sub-6's in races.

Runners run

SMART Approach

Mikey Mike, Alway great advice. Your approach is much in line with what I believe. I sometimes am ready to post and read your advice and say, "exactly". I see you are shooting for 2:50 marathon. Good luck man!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

mikeymike

Thanks, Tchuck! I'm kind of just focusing on the work for now and I'll let the external goal take care of itself but yeah if all continues to go as planned I should be aiming for something under 2:50 come Fall.

Runners run