Training for an overuse injury? (Read 438 times)

Giant Flaming Dork

It turns out that the "Different colored bars" has been useful for me - on a whim, I looked back at the workouts that I did leading up to my injury (hamstring tendinitis). 6/7 - 5k race (PR) 6/8 - 13.2mi long run (My longest run ever) 6/10 - easy 5 miles 6/11 - First tempo run ever 6/15 - knee pain shows up At the time, it seemed perfectly rational, but in retrospect it doesn't look like smart workout planning. Would this have been enough to cause an overuse injury? I always blamed the injury on a day at the playground with the kids...

http://xkcd.com/621/

It is consistent with what I did and I am recovering from a similar injury. I was a 3 day a week runner and jumped to 5 days and ran a PR for a HM in May. Felt a twinge in my left leg at the finish and blamed it on sprinting the last 100m. Took 2 days off and continued to 5 days a week and increased mileage. Result 12 weeks later I am now just getting back to running 3 days a week. Pace and distances are less than the injury. No pain when I run but definitely notice some weakness in the left leg. I am following the advise of the PT and will s-l-o-w-l-y rebuild mileage and pace. Assuming I am getting better I will be smarter so I do not have a repeat. 12 weeks to get back to here has been an important lesson.