Officially a "Master" today (Read 727 times)

MrH

The USATF Masters Indoor track championships was in Landover,MD close to DC last month. Some of the performances there were stunning. Speaking of 50-year old men, Craig Fram ran 4:44 for the mile and 9:16 for 3k. Or Earl Fee 80, yes four score, ran 2:50 for the 800m. Shocked

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Or Earl Fee 80, yes four score, ran 2:50 for the 800m.
      I'm not sure I could do that and I'm half his age. Damn.

JimR

Had to stop for a second, I though Earl was still in his 70's, but he ticked over to 80 last month He's getting slow! He was running ~2:40 last year Big grin Ah, but the year's young yet.
        MrH

I'm not sure I could do that and I'm half his age. Damn.
          Check out his form ...

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

A Saucy Wench

Happy Birthday!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Check out his form ...
              shit. He's 80? I hope I look that good at 60 and I'd be happy at age 60 running 20% slower than he does at 80. Damn. again... damn. (shakes head)

I've run a couple races with a 79 year old woman. She finished both races at around 29:00 for a 5k. She wins her age 60+ age group every time of course but most people don't quite grasp it. They assume shes 62 and think "hey she's fast for an old gal". But her 5k times are all within a minute or so of an age group world record. And she makes 30 year old guys running 18:00 5k times look slow in my eyes.

On On

No, I'm dead serious. BTW, the term I was thinking of is actually "grand master". I think.
                  This plus your reference in the other thread to the beer stop at MIle 23 of the Marathon with an On On some one could mistake you for a hasher. Buckeye - congrats on becoming a Master. You and I share our birthday.
                    I'm hoping that by the time I turn 80 no-one else shows up to the races so that I can finally win in my age group. My worry is that running is becoming so popular that too many people will be running when I turn 80. Hmmmm.....what could I do to stop them from entering the race???

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hmmmm.....what could I do to stop them from entering the race???
                      Tell them about the flying monkeys! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

A joke that would have worked 10 years ago would have been: "Tell them that Matlock is on." Today, nobody knows what that even means. One wonders what will be OUR Matlock in 40 years.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One wonders what will be OUR Matlock in 40 years.
                          Patrick Dempsey? I prefer Captain Tightpants, personally. Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Patrick Dempsey? I prefer Captain Tightpants, personally. Evil grin
                            I meant the show Matlock, not the character. It'll probably be Law and Order. Sigh.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I meant the show Matlock, not the character. It'll probably be Law and Order. Sigh.
                              Damn, those Law and Order episodes are evil, though...catch the first 30 seconds and you can consider the next 60 minutes gone. Same with CSI.

~ Sarah Kay

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Welcome Welcome Welcome to the land of the experienced and wise. Big grin: So we like to believe. Happy birthday.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/