Ice baths (Read 690 times)

I need someone to refresh my memory. What's the time ratio for ice baths. How long is too long? Do you just do it all long as you can stand it? After long runs, I try to at least soak my feet / ankles in a tub of cold water and ice. I usually alternate 5 minutes in and 5 minutes out for about 30 minutes. Is that good? As you can tell I'm clueless, so any help is appreciated.
    sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I don't think there's a consensus on this. I've heard different ideas like 10-15 minutes in a cold bath, or alternating 5 minutes in a cold bath, then 5 minutes in a warm shower, then repeat. Personally I stay in a cold bath as long as I can stand it, which usually works out to 10-20 minutes.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Top 'O the World!

more fun:
        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
          If I had to ice my legs after a run. I wouldn't run.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

db7

Water hose on the back porch for about 15 min is all I need. Usually only after long runs or during a high mileage week. It's much easier. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Queen of 3rd Place

Another question along the same lines: how much time after your run can you wait? Is a couple of hours later ok? Arla

Ex runner

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

Another question along the same lines: how much time after your run can you wait? Is a couple of hours later ok? Arla
                  Here's an excerpt from Runner's World a couple of months ago: This post-long-run routine will help you stay injury free: 5 minutes after - Hydrate. Drink 8-16 oz of sports drink to replenish electrolytes and minerals. 7 minutes after - Change. Putting on dry clothes will help your body regulate its temperature. 15 minutes after - Reload. Consume a mix of carbs and protein to jump-start muscle recovery. 30 minutes after - Stretch. Working to improve your flexibility boosts circulation and aids recovery. 45 minutes after - Cool Down. Soak in an ice-cold bath to speed recovery and prevent soreness. 60 minutes after - Get Horizontal. Nap, or just take a 15-30 minute break with your feet up. So according to this, a couple of hours is probably too long to wait.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...