5k (Read 1437 times)

What state are you in? He's going to have to drop a lot of time to win the state championship in the 800m in any state. That means lots of work. In the slowest states, you need to be able to run a 1:56 or faster to win. 8 seconds is huge in the 800, since there is only two laps.
    True but Nate said he is only 15 years old so he is a freshman or sophomore giving him 2 or 3 years to knock 8 seconds off. I am from Michigan and here is the class D (small schools) championship results from 2007 800-METER RUN -- 1. Glen Barker, North Muskegon, 1:57.19; 2. Kyle Daugherty, Jackson Christian, 1:57.51; 3. Jon Hatfield, Pittsford, 1:58.32; 4. Collin Ward, Potterville, 1:59.22; 5. Kevin Ginther, Harbor Beach, 2:00.66; 6. Louis Borton, Morenci, 2:01.03; 7. Ethan Steinbarger, Mendon, 2:01.26; 8. Adam Garvey, Blanchard Montabella, 2:01.66.
      A 5k champ would probably need a time of around 15:30 to qualify depending on school size. I suppose knocking 2 minutes off a 5k time would be tougher than knocking 8 seconds off an 800 meter time. Maybe you are right in that it would still take a lot of work. Noone will win a state championship on talent alone.
      Lane

True but Nate said he is only 15 years old so he is a freshman or sophomore giving him 2 or 3 years to knock 8 seconds off. I am from Michigan and here is the class D (small schools) championship results from 2007 800-METER RUN -- 1. Glen Barker, North Muskegon, 1:57.19; 2. Kyle Daugherty, Jackson Christian, 1:57.51; 3. Jon Hatfield, Pittsford, 1:58.32; 4. Collin Ward, Potterville, 1:59.22; 5. Kevin Ginther, Harbor Beach, 2:00.66; 6. Louis Borton, Morenci, 2:01.03; 7. Ethan Steinbarger, Mendon, 2:01.26; 8. Adam Garvey, Blanchard Montabella, 2:01.66.
        I forgot about lower classes/divisions. I was thinking about an overall state champion. However, he would still have to run a 1:57. 18 to win, and that's at a State meet, where people do not always run their fastest race. l maintain that to win the race that you've just posted, there's a high likelyhood that he'd have to be able to run at least a 1:56 to win. Again, he's going to need a lot of work. I also think it's hard to compare improvement in the 800 to improvement in the 5K. for example, my freshman year I dropped 3 minutes from my 5k time, while I only dropped 6 seconds from my 800 time. It's a different kind of work, and for the 800, a lot of time in the weight room is necessary, in addition to the mileage.
          I do not know how to train but my school's track team isnt really a team its a club and i have been told there is no coaching, they just meet to run and go to meets in a carpool.
          What I was looking at....with no coaching the dude runs a 2:04...and wins by 2 seconds so sounds like he basically just ran to win had no idea how to pace this thing. I am curious as to what Nate can do in the 400 meter run.
          Nate Grant

What I was looking at....with no coaching the dude runs a 2:04...and wins by 2 seconds so sounds like he basically just ran to win had no idea how to pace this thing. I am curious as to what Nate can do in the 400 meter run.
            i dont know but i dont have another meet thing till next tuesday and they have the mile race, so what should i do? i could technically do both i guess but the 400 is before the mile. it costs 2 dollars per race to enter.
            Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's possible to do more than one - at the state meet, my son (15) did the 4x800 relay, the mile, and the two-mile.
              obsessor

run the 400.
                Joseph Kipchirir

he should run the mile no?
                  Nate Grant

he should run the mile no?
                    your running log isnt real is it?
                    Lane

Looks real to me. (True) runners never lie in their logs, because they are training tools. To lie in your log is like lying to yourself.
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Keep in mind that you're questioning him just as we questioned you. It doesn't mean you're ripping on him, does it? Wink

The Greatest of All Time

Looks real to me. (True) runners never lie in their logs, because they are training tools. To lie in your log is like lying to yourself.
                          I almost pissed myself...I smell a rat.
                          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          Lane

I almost pissed myself...I smell a rat.
                            me... Big grin?
                              run the 400.
                              Nice run you had there on March 8th obsessor....are you training for ultras or something? Nate if you run the 400 I think you would blow out the field. Is that what you want? If you run the mile you will probably tire like you did in the 5k and slow down in the 2nd half. You really should talk to someone knowledgeable if you are really that fast. We don't want to ruin you. Roll eyes If you want to run the mile just to see what kind of time you get then you should probably start out slow or hang with the leaders if it is comfortable. You want even splits and we have no idea what kind of mile time you are capable of....I would assume 5 minutes would be a nice goal but you have to take the 1st 2 or 3 laps easy. 5 minutes is nothing to sneeze at.