Is running killing us? (Read 575 times)

Feeling the growl again

There really does seem to be some evidence that training seriously is not good for you - compared with exercising moderately, that is.

And: 'Blood profiles like those displayed by the runners, he says, “are similar to those in a very mild heart attack.”'

But I don't think most people on RA run only - or mostly - because we're trying to maximize our physical health, as evidenced by some of the posts here. A lot of us might as well be rock climbers or mountain bikers or BASE jumpers. As Joan says, it's about vitality more than health. It's about rocking the F out on a brutal session on the road or on the track. It's about masochism. It's about the pursuit of greatness.

It's about being able to eat as many damn bacon cheeseburgers as you want, whenever you want (arguably this fits into the "pursuit of greatness").

Except that, in the context of strenuous exercise, the connection between elevated troponin and real cardiac injury is questionable to nonexistent...

Rifai N, Douglas PS, O'Toole M, Rimm E, Ginsburg GS (April 1999). "Cardiac troponin T and I, echocardiographic [correction of electrocardiographic] wall motion analyses, and ejection fractions in athletes participating in the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon". Am. J. Cardiol. 83 (7): 1085–9. doi:10.1016/S0002-9149(99)00020-X. PMID 10190525. Jump up ^ Neumayr G, Gaenzer H, Pfister R, et al. (February 2001). "Plasma levels of cardiac troponin I after prolonged strenuous endurance exercise". Am. J. Cardiol. 87 (3): 369–71, A10. doi:10.1016/S0002-9149(00)01382-5. PMID 11165984. Jump up ^ Urhausen A, Scharhag J, Herrmann M, Kindermann W (September 2004). "Clinical significance of increased cardiac troponins T and I in participants of ultra-endurance events". Am. J. Cardiol. 94 (5): 696–8. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2004.05.050. PMID 15342317.

An enlarged heart is a troubling finding as well...unless you are a trained endurance athlete, in which case it is normal.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

BeeRunB

I know someone who lived to 76. His last ten years, he deteriorated and his ankles and legs and back were weak, he was overweight, and he suffered a lot just from not moving and overeating.  I contrast that with the endurance athletes I know who are in their 70's, and the difference is mind-blowing. You can see it in how they move and how they look. Most of them will die of something as well within ten years or so. But damn, until those days come for them, they're not suffering like that guy I knew, or like other people are, for years on end. I recently went to Japan for a few weeks, and the only obese-looking person I saw there was a sumo wrestler. My eyes got used to the way everyone looked---looking at thin people. When I came back and got to the domestic terminal in the USA, it was startling how fat and sick-looking so many people were. Sure, I've noticed it before, but after being in Japan, it was VIVID. Over there, they eat all sorts of stuff, but on average, don't overeat. And they move.  Here, on average, we're doing the opposite. So, take that big finger that likes to point at runners and go "unhealthy!" and tell the owner to go point it somewhere else. Sure, you can kill yourself running if you're stupid enough to let your obsession run you into the ground, or to overdrink, or to not to stop when it's clear you should, but most people learn as they go how much they can handle at different times.  I think of running into Joe at Lincoln Woods, he was in his 80's and kept going until he died in his mid-80's. There he was taking laps around one of the hilliest 2.5 mile loops in RI. He moved well (much better than that man I mentioned earlier who was much younger), and looked great, and only had trouble his final year or so. I've mentioned this before. This man fought and survived in World War 2 in Europe. Do you think he was afraid of dying while running?

Keep It Simple Striders: Run smartly and don't eat like a pig.

mrmky

I feel much more alive after "killing" myself on a two hr long run, than I do after two hours of "safe" r&r on the couch with the tv.

Still kicking

I'm at an age were several people in my circle of life die each year. Some family, old friends, co-workers etc. So far, I haven't attended a runner's funeral. The smokers, drinkers, and overweighters are dropping off pretty regular. Unfortunately, I've also had to see people who were't trying to kill themselves, get taken out by cancer. Just using the powers of observation in my small insignificant sphere of existence, I like the ratio of runners vs non-runners in regards to age, and will continue to take my chances and keep logging miles.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Wing

Joggaholic

An enlarged heart is a troubling finding as well...unless you are a trained endurance athlete, in which case it is normal.

What is wrong with having an enlarged heart if one's not an endurance athlete? Is that normally associated with some medical condition?

montag

Super Pro Lurker

Alex Hutchinson swoops in to soothe us all with SCIENCE!

joescott

Alex Hutchinson swoops in to soothe us all with SCIENCE!

I love that guy.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Why is it sideways?

What is wrong with having an enlarged heart if one's not an endurance athlete? Is that normally associated with some medical condition?

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

The Hutchison article montag linked is excellent.

Joann Y

Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Amongst other things.

The Hutchison article montag linked is excellent.

Agree. That should be linked to every time this topic comes up!

bap

Certified Running Coach
                      Crocked since 2013

Joann Y

NPR's April Fool's joke is NO JOKE! Time to get Americans reading again!

http://www.npr.org/2014/04/01/297690717/why-doesnt-america-read-anymore

#artbydmcbride

I've heard the newest generations can't decipher script writing anymore.   My new secret code method!  I feel like Leonardo DaVinci!  

Runners run

mikeymike

Runners run

Fanilow

Well, I knocked out 13 miles this morning and the only thing killing me is my butt.

2014 goals

Well, there's always next year.

BeeRunB

I will fly to heaven, flutter, flutter

Having eaten it all, butter, butter

and run my races, chug, chug, chug

and all free of drugs, drugs, drugs

Maybe I died choking on some ham

or got eaten by a scythian lamb

Why did people want me to live in fear?

It's a horrible way to live year after year

It doesn't sound awful to pass away