Race shirt question redux (Read 1017 times)

I'm going to assemble all of these tips to try and look like the person anyone would least like to be beat by. I have a few of the good attributes naturaly and need to supplement my abilities some more. Well over 200 pounds... check. balding... check. likes to wear the race shirt on race day... check. wears headband... check. Please keep the tips comming. Maybe 1970's style basketball shorts or really long sports sock with a colored stripe around the top. You know that kind of thing. I don't want to wear bulky knee pads or anything that would slow me down though. It seems like I'm often picked out as the "I can't let THAT guy beat me" guy. I may as well go with it. But I'm not wearing a pink ballet outfit like that one guy. That's over the top. I'll be fine looking like a very unathletic Will Ferrel but I have my dignity (sort of).

On On

I'm going to assemble all of these tips to try and look like the person anyone would least like to be beat by. I have a few of the good attributes naturaly and need to supplement my abilities some more. Well over 200 pounds... check. balding... check. likes to wear the race shirt on race day... check. wears headband... check. Please keep the tips comming. Maybe 1970's style basketball shorts or really long sports sock with a colored stripe around the top. You know that kind of thing. I don't want to wear bulky knee pads or anything that would slow me down though. It seems like I'm often picked out as the "I can't let THAT guy beat me" guy. I may as well go with it. But I'm not wearing a pink ballet outfit like that one guy. That's over the top. I'll be fine looking like a very unathletic Will Ferrel but I have my dignity (sort of).
      If you are going with the whole 70's theme then run in Chuck Taylors. There is a guy I run with and this is the only shoe he runs in, has been for thirty years and never switched. He is sure this whole trend of running shoes is a fad.
      Jill_B

I fly.

By the way - I DO think its cool to show up in last years race shirt --- and even cooler to show up in the race shirt from 5 or 10 years ago.......... Smile Big grin Wink Tongue
        Me too.

Bring it on.

xor

It seems like I'm often picked out as the "I can't let THAT guy beat me" guy. I may as well go with it. But I'm not wearing a pink ballet outfit like that one guy. That's over the top. I'll be fine looking like a very unathletic Will Ferrel but I have my dignity (sort of).
          Yes, beware of men running in pink. Heh. (check my most recent race report for the latest example of someone on death's door sprinting like hell at the end so he wouldn't be beaten by a dude (me) in pink. He paid the price afterwards in retchery.) As for "that one guy", that's Keith! Aka "pink tutu guy". He's pretty fast. Men in pink have dignity. We just hide it.

milkbaby

Hmmm, no one mentioned the jinx factor of wearing the race shirt in your race. While I've never worn one until I was finished, I'm sure it would jinx me to wear it during the race! Also, please don't tell me to "have a good race" as that is another jinx... Thank you... that... is... all... Embarrassed
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
            Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

My favorite threads are always race reports, but Jake Knight's entry on 1st Race Tip is an absolute classic. Your answer is found at #24, but make sure you go back and read the whole post.
              From that thread
              31: If the event is big enough for spectators, wear something with your name on your shirt, in very big letters. It gets you personalized cheers. No kidding. Remember this for your first marathon. Hearing “Go, Jake, you sexy stud!” is way, way better than “you can do it, unknown dude …” .
              Now I totally want to get "Unknown Dude" on my next race bib.
                From that thread Now I totally want to get "Unknown Dude" on my next race bib.
                Write "Nads" on your shirt instead. When people yell GO and then your name it will make you and them laugh. Childish and stupid, but funny none the less.
                  ugh -- that's a retread from the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's....it was funny once!
                  Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Perhaps "area man" might be an option...

Why is it sideways?

Childish and stupid, but funny none the less.
                      I'm confused. The "none the less" implies some sort of tension between "funny" and "childish and stupid".

Top 'O the World!

Okay, for my 1st 5K, which was a run/walk fundraiser for some local little kid, first off, nobody told me the rule of not wearing the race shirt & 2nd off, the kid was actually out of the hosp. for the "race" & in a jog stroller being pushed by one of the parents ...everybody was wearing the race shirt as a show of support, so changed into mine rather than throw it into the car....Also, for the Komen RFTC's - seems like lots of people wear theirs + other pink accessories...other than that....
                        Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group