Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

C-R

But I am prepared to accept that people have the right to bear arms to defend their homes.  I don't agree with it, but it's a fair argument.  

Even if one assumes that firearms are justified for home defense, though, it seems to me that something less than the Devastator or Fang Face would suffice.  Again, it's a matter of reasonable limits.  But reasonable's not your game now, is it?  

I don't think either side will be swayed to changed their minds on this issue much like some political threads. However, I would suggest that you live in a sheltered existence and perhaps need to see things from a different perspective.

Just for clarification, I am a CCP holder and own several weapons form .22 handguns and rifles (and yes spaniel I am about to get me that 40). I grew up around weapons and learned to fire and use at an early age from my father who was a Spec Ops guy and knew a thing or two about what weapons can do (much like Purdey has seen). My time in the service also reinforced this. The guns I own (and teach my kids to use) are for targets and self protection. The reason I have them for self protection is simple. Average response time in my area for a 911 police call is 7:53. Having direct experience with home invasion of someone intent on doing more than taking a stereo, that 7:53 would have been ample time to complete the harm. I am not willing to bet my or my families life on 7:53 perhaps you might and if so I wish you the best of luck. I know in my case it would not have worked out.

You cite lots of studies and that's great. I don't have those at my finger tips and frankly refused to research them as for each of your studies, I am certain I can find an equal amount to refute what you cite. Proper registration and common sense controls on guns are ok with me. I don't mind background checks, training classes and waiting periods. However, each time the government has a grand idea with good intentions, it limits what law abiding people can do and doesn't actually limit the outlaws. Limiting ordinance is another discussion for another day but if I am able to have a one stop shot in case I need it, than that is the safest for everyone other than the intended target. Does this change that football players events? No. He seemed intent on doing harm no matter what. If he used a lamp, would you be in favor of regulating lamp purchases or perhaps the type of bulbs used in said lamp. Deal with the issue, which is the criminal.

I'm done here as it serves no further purpose for me. I can't wait to get my .40 and likely a nice shotgun for New Years (and in the summer I'll get that .308 spaniel) so I can practice safe hunting and target shooting and not have to worry about 7:53 in case some drugged up lunatic comes into my house looking to kill his girlfriend and happened to break into the house two doors down.

MTA: and yes Costas is a total moron with every right to speak his blather. Just don't do it while I'm trying to enjoy a decent football game.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

i think this inflammatory thread could do with some Ibuprofen.

p.s. automatic weapons used to slot pigs from helicopters?  really?!  our World's gone tits-up mad i tells ya!

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

i think this inflammatory thread could do with some Ibuprofen.

I think I'm suffering from Delayed Onset Brain Soreness.

All I know is I love my guns and I use them for recreation: hunting and target practice.  I do have a couple ready in case I need them for home defense, but honestly the idea of using them to defend my home makes me want to vomit.  I don't want to ever be put in that position; I can imagine it would be horrific not glorious.  Some people openly admit they want an opportunity to defend their home (too many movies or video games) I am not one of them.  If I had to then yes I would, but damn I hope that never happens.  I just want to go hunting, shoot at clay birds and targets and that's it.  People have been killing eachother well before guns came around, guns aren't the problem....people are the problem.  It's too bad criminals, idiots, and dumb asses have to ruin it for the rest of us.

FYI:  Jason Whitlock is as much of a douche bag as Costas; two douche bag nuts in the same sack.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

two douche bag nuts in the same sack.

No comment except this is a very interesting mix of metaphors.

I don't think either side will be swayed to changed their minds on this issue much like some political threads. However, I would suggest that you live in a sheltered existence and perhaps need to see things from a different perspective.

Sure, nothing written on a running board will change someone's mind about gun control.  I could see things from a lot of perspectives. 

I could see them from the perspective of the retired officer who inadvertently shot his son who he mistakenly believed was an intruder.  http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/10/09/man-fatally-shot-inside-far-northwest-side-home/

I could see them from the perspective of the 10-year-old who accidentally shot his five-year-old brother with a gun left in the home.  http://pediatrics.about.com/od/safety/a/gun-accidents.htm

I could see them from the perspective of the 6-year-old shot by his 11-year-old stepbrother with a gun left in the house. 

I could see them from the perspective of the kids and families gunned down in an Aurora CO movie theater. 

I could see them from the perspective of the homeowner who righteously protected home and family. 

I've thought of all those, and other, perspectives.  The fact is that a gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder.  http://www.wolterskluwer.com/Press/Latest-News/2010/Pages/pr_3Feb10c.aspx  At the very least, I don't think it's unreasonably to say that one doesn't need a bazooka to protect one's home. 

There is a reason that insurance rates go down if you have a home alarm but go up if you have firearms in the home -- and it has nothing to do with my supposedly sheltered existence (you know, here in gun-free Washington D.C.)  

It's ok that we disagree, but please don't say it's because I'm naive (or, in the case of one other, poorly read or ignorant or misinformed).  We just disagree.  No harm in that and but for all this discourse, I would never have known about the scourge of feral pigs.  Who knew?  (Maybe I am sheltered.) 

To be extreme, I am now going to officially come out against starter's pistols as a vestige of a war-like culture that glorifies homicide (that's a joke).  That will at least bring us back toward running as a topic.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The marathon in my town uses a starter cannon.  Is that okay?

dennrunner

...  At the very least, I don't think it's unreasonably to say that one doesn't need a bazooka to protect one's home. 

Hey, finally something everyone could agree on.  Probably.

npaden

There is a reason that insurance rates go down if you have a home alarm but go up if you have firearms in the home -- and it has nothing to do with my supposedly sheltered existence (you know, here in gun-free Washington D.C.)  

Just a quick fact check to call B.S. on this statement.  Most of your others are suspect as well, but I'm positive that my insurance rates are not affected by the fact that I own 7 guns.  I keep them in a locked safe at all times though so I hope I don't need to use one for self defense.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Crazy Q

Net Neaderthal & Escapee

Paraphrasing two popular quotations that have been around for 2000+ years.

Blessed are the peace makers.   (I never heard it as blessed are those who kill or maim.  I haven't even heard that in any reference...ever.)

And the other being, Thou shalt not kill.  That's fairly straight forward and unambiguous...not much room to misinterpret that one, eh!?

Blessed are the peace makers;

When NATO went into the Former Yugoslavia in Dec1995 to enforce the Dayton Peace Accords and disengage the warring parties it was very heavily armed and could perform the mission that the UN could not. Jesus never addressed how the Peace Makers should of addressed that conflict,

Thou shall not kill:

Has been the interpretation since the King James vesion of the Bible was published. Perhaps more accurately it should of been; Thou shalt not murder. I'll let you ponder the subtleties of the meanings of kill and murder. As a Soldier it was also a personal moral dilemma I wrestled with.

Life isn't Black & White, Good and Evil, Clean or Dirty. It is thousands of shades and gradings inbetween the absolutes. Until we as a species overall become more than educated savages; We shall have conflicts, both personal and national that can result in human tragedies. But one thing is certain, Public Commentary of the type Costas can make from his Bully Pulpit can only serve to incite and not calm matters.

Cheers and let the blood letting begin in earnst.

Wot? Run? I thought they said Rum!

...I own 7 guns.  I keep them in a locked safe....

by your own admission, some of these 7 are high calibre rifles.  how big's your safe???

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

npaden

by your own admission, some of these 7 are high calibre rifles.  how big's your safe???

30" wide, 60" tall and 24" deep.  It weighs about 1,000lbs and I have it anchored to the cement slab in my garage with bolts.  It is rated fireproof for 60 minutes.   I keep important documents inside the big safe in a smaller safe that is rated as fireproof for 60 minutes as well.  I don't own a safe deposit box.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Feeling the growl again

There is a reason that insurance rates go down if you have a home alarm but go up if you have firearms in the home 

As with pretty much everything you have written, you would look a lot better if you'd gain some actual knowledge instead of just posting cherry-picked URLs from the internet.  My collection makes npnaden's look cute -- no offense!  Smile  -- and has zero impact on my homeowners insurance.  Now if you want extra insurance on the firearms, that will cost more.  

Posting links about firearms left loaded and unlocked and end up resulting in an accidental death and claiming that just bringing a gun into the house makes it 12X more likely that someone innocent is going to get hurt is either stupid or deliberately misleading, you pick.  If someone is idiotic enough to leave a loaded gun within reach of a young child untrained to firearms, their rate is probably 1000X (diluting down to 12X when you try to mislead people on the association by averaging it across the population) and they should be held accountable for their stupidity -- freedom comes with responsibility.  But for responsible owners -- which, actually, is the vast majority -- they are locked up and/or unloaded and the impact is most likely closer to 0.

Like C-R said, if you were worth the effort one could easily post as many and more links to studies contradicting everything you posted.  If you cherry-pick and waterboard the data enough, eventually it will confess to anything you want it to say.  One has to be naive to really think it bolsters one's position in a meaningful way.

I mean hey, more guns=less crime

In your little "gun free" enclave of Washington DC, .homicide rates rose dramatically during the period of the handgun ban.

And finally, a lack of pirates are responsible for global warming:

Purdey and I may disagree but I can respect him and his opinion and it does not affect our friendship:

1)  He can approach the disagreement respectfully -- you should try that, I said it wasn't worth discussing with you and you proved it by name-calling.

2)  He has actual experience in the matter which gives him a logical reason to come to his conclusion.  Now I know people with similar experience who do not share his view, but I can respect that he has a logical reason behind his position.  People who approach arguments from a clear position of ignorance, citing nothing but slanted internet studies and inflammatory, completely inaccurate hyperbole about firearms, it not awfully convincing.

3)  His if from another country with a different history, culture, association with firearms, and importantly Constitution.  

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I'll chime in with a Canadian perspective.....

The statement "guns don't kill people, people kill people" is complete bullshit.

The easy access to a variety of guns in your country scares the crap out of me.  There is no reason to own a gun as far as I'm concerned.  Leave that to the police. People do stupid things for a variety of reasons (alcohol, rage, bad judgments) and having such easy access to such destructive tools is crazy.

Just my opinion.

That being said, not sure it was appropriate for Costas to raise it during a football game.  Although he does come across as an incredibly intelligent guy.

My Opinion on your Canadian opinion is that it is accurate. ---  There are many people who have led GREAT lives and achieved alot in our lives!  -- But, the number of people who would have killed another person "In the spur of a moment" and felt justified at the time, if the gun was right there available to them, is probably staggering.

I am in the Navy so we have intervened on several folks who have kicked a dude's ass into a seriously bad shape because they came home and found their wife or girlfriend with another man!  (We deploy for 7, 8, 9 months and longer... It happens... women get lonely....)  But how many of these guys would have lost it and shot the dude, or their wife had a gun been right there in the moment?  I imagine the number is much higher than we would like to admit.  

"Guns don't kill people, people do" correct.  But there are MANY people who are completely RATIONAL 99 and 44/100ths percent of the timw who would do something they could never take back in that one moment when something completely unexpected lay before them.  

But...Again, Pandoras box has been opened, and there is no way to turn it back now.  Guns are prevalent, and banning them impossible and regulating them near impossible...   The Canadian perspective is right, but yet there is not much that can be done about it.  Even if guns were regulated, if a person wanted to buy a gun, they'd have about 1,000 avenues to get it...

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Ostrich runner

I'm liberal on just about every topic. I wish we weren't an armed society. I wish the police had a response time measured in seconds. I wish I trusted them once they do show up. I wish I didn't have paranoid schizophrenic clients who've already done time for murder. I wish I didn't have clients who have contracts on their lives from organized crime. I wish I had an Aston Martin. Instead, I have a gun. I wish I were better at shooting it. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum