New to the running journey. (Read 67 times)

Michael_PS

Hello All! I am 22 years old and have been running since I was 14 or so. Never anything super long distance or intense but I also loved jumping on the treadmill at the gym just to clear my mind. Recently I gotten back into it and have started to sign up for different 5k's and really enjoy them. Although I still can't run an entire one (Almost! but need to keep building up my endurance a bit more) I am in good shape and nutrition and health is very important to me. My main question or advise i'm looking for really is about weekly runs. I know you need intervals, long runs, and not to increase miles too quickly. I have been running Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays. (Should I increase this at all?) This gives me a day in between to allow for rest and recovery. I find that some days I can run much longer than others and feel amazing, while others I can get maybe half the distance and have bad shin splints, and calf soreness which makes me not have a "good run". I figure a lot of this especially the getting tired earlier could be mental, but I'm wondering why sometimes my legs are much more sore and the shin splints return when I am always running only a couple miles and like I said I never increase milage by much at a time. Any advice? I do stretching before and use a massage gun on my legs throughout the week. Any tips for a new runner is greatly appreciated. Looking to one day run a marathon but for the time being just trying to get the basics of running down and build that solid foundation!

Also, do you guys typically run fasted? I usually run in the morning before breakfast and I don't like feeling sluggish during workouts and sometimes this feels amazing and other times I tire quickly. Let me know your take on fasted cardio!

- Michael

grapes

It's a pretty safe bet that you're running too fast. To gain the most from where you are, you don't need intervals or long runs. You need regular drips of nice, easy, slow runs, increasing the overall distance per week super-slowly. Increasing the amount you run is going to make you faster and better all on its own, but the right way to get there is to make the vast majority of your runs slow and easy. Three days a week is probably a good amount. After a few months, your tendons and ligaments and joints will finally be getting more used to this sort of thing.

SMART Approach

You are running too hard as stated. You need to build your base which takes a lot of time. Take a week or two of walking and cross training to get your body back and then re-focus your training for 3 months to run 4-5 days per week and slow. More slower miles is what you need and then later on you can gradually mix in strategic faster stuff. PM me and I can send you my article, HOW TO TRAIN SMARTER.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

JMac11

RIP Milkman

When starting out, there is almost no such thing as running too slowly. All of my non-runner friends say they hate running. I generally ask them what pace they're running, and it turns out they run every run of 3-4 miles almost all out, i.e. they're out of breath at the end of it.

Here's a simple test: at no point in your running should you be breathing harder than a 2-2 pattern, meaning 2 breaths in, 2 out. Most of us who have been at this a long time are usually even slower than that, e.g. 3-2 or 3-3, but I would consider 2-2 your absolute limit. Don't worry about calculators, or the "talk test" (which is too hard for a new runner to really follow). Stick to that principle and you will be successful.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Bilal_Aziz

Hello i am Bilal

It was first decided by International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2007 that ICC T20 World Cup will be played after every 2 years. According to the schedule first T20 World Cup played in 2007 and it was hosted by South Africa. In the final match of this grand tournament, India defeated Pakistan.

https://icccricketworldcup2019.net/icc-mens-t20-world-cup-2020-date-venue-schedule/