Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

DavePNW

Question for the group. I am planning a half in 4 weeks. I’d like to squeeze in a 5k before then; it’d be a parkrun so I can do it any weekend. My initial thought was to do the 5k two weeks prior, to ensure sufficient recovery. However I am thinking about doing it one week prior Instead. The 5k would essentially replace any HM race-week workout, and give me a week of mostly easy running as recovery/taper. Goal is to crush both races. Thoughts?

Dave

mmerkle

Question for the group. I am planning a half in 4 weeks. I’d like to squeeze in a 5k before then; it’d be a parkrun so I can do it any weekend. My initial thought was to do the 5k two weeks prior, to ensure sufficient recovery. However I am thinking about doing it one week prior Instead. The 5k would essentially replace any HM race-week workout, and give me a week of mostly easy running as recovery/taper. Goal is to crush both races. Thoughts?

I would go with the 2 weeks out. I don't think recovery is your issue. Rather, it's adaptation. I probably take this a little too seriously but based on what I've read, it takes 10-14 days to fully realize the benefits of a VO2 max workout, which a 5k race is. It certainly doesn't take that long to recover but if you want to reap the full benefits of the 5k for your half, I would do 2 weeks out. If the half isn't an A race anyway and your only concern is recovery, then one week out should be fine. Edit: But you said you want to crush both races, so my official vote is 2 weeks out.

DavePNW

Wow! Keira D’Amato broke the US HM record with a 1:06:37! PED-related comments in 3...2...1...

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Gold Coast is a very fast course, in the right conditions - which they were on Saturday.  The NZ Marathon record was set there a few years ago, by Zane Robertson... who has since been caught for PEDs lol.  Weather wasn't quite as good on Sunday for the full marathon with a southerly wind coming through.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Merkle you used the word shit twice in your post, possibly a record  good to hear the shit, shit job is behind you.

Darkwave God bless Merica, hiccup.

Mark 4th place bloody good on that course. One of my local strava mates who is a decent runner, ran it and was way behind you.

Steve yes I will do Tauranga Parkrun next free Saturday with ok conditions. The new papamoa one is probably 15 secs slower which in a 5k is significant. I ran it in about 19.30 and it felt reasonably hard but probably my current 10k pace.

Fishy awesome catch. I really enjoy providing fresh fish for my family who love it. That whole hunter gatherer thing kicks in with me. I don't think I would fish solely for sport.

Dave I agree with Merkle go for 2 weeks out to get the vo2 max benefit and to allow your advanced aged body to be ready 😉

I watched alot of that Goldcoast Marathon and Half on YouTube. Mark the kiwi guy who came 3rd in the half did well. Matt Baxter was in the full. He won that Mount half you did a couple years ago. He went out way too fast 1.03 through halfway then blew out to 2.23.

Great job by the US lady on the new record.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - No more dicey streets I don't think. Thinking back there were really only 2 streets that were a bit weirder, one where I saw those kids robbing the google street view car, but when I've gone there it was empty, and another where people were looking at me weird with tense faces, but that lasted all there 3 minutes it took to run that street.
              I was honestly more annoyed about that neighbourhood with multiple stray dogs, but even there I had no dog encounters the second time.
              All in all I can see that this challenge provided a huge variety for my training and a lot more elevation than I was usually doing, so definitely worth it.
              One disadvantage of this is that you're looking at the watch for directions quite often and I feel like going back to just run without looking at the watch.
              One thing is for sure, I'll likely never get lost in this town again, and from now on I'll have a lot more varied running routes.

DW - I wonder if this air quality issue was always there or is it a recent thing? I don't seem to remember this being an issue like 10 years ago, but maybe I just didn't know anybody in the area at that time.

Dave - what Merkle said!

me - I'm happy to report that I managed to dead lift 60kg for 10 reps earlier today. And that was after a strong session at the leg press machine. Based on that I'm fairly sure now I can dead lift my own body weight which was the initial target. Here's to more strength gains 💪

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

i think SF lost it's queer status. seems it's the capitol of phentanyl and public defecation now

Can confirm. On my recent trip there I saw SO many needles - used and in wrappers - littering the streets and obviously all the druggies who use them as well. Not bad streets, mind you, but ones with name-brand boutique shops, 500USD/night hotels, and 100+USD/plate restaurants. San Francisco is an absolute cesspool, and easily the worst city to which I've ever had the misfortune to visit.

Flavio - Good deal on getting the flights changed to accommodate the better race, and good week.

Andy - Hard disagreement here. I'd much rather have super cold winters and mild summers. After all, I can bundle up in winter without issue, but in the summer there's only so much clothing I can take off before embarassing myself.

Krash - The speeds you're capable of across these distances (even when having a bad day) boggle the mind.
                I didn't know the Petit center was a concrete track, that'll ruin almost anyone's day.
                What shoes were you wearing?
                It does suck when things go sideways - I learned to embrace the "Z" plan at CIM 2021. Why write off all track races instead of just cement track races?

Steve - Good race - I think you're set up nicely for that next PR attempt.
                Also, I forgot to mention that at one of the conferences I attended last month I had the opportunity to listen to your former PM speak (in addition to other politicians of similar quality) - I passed.

Mark - Nice week. Those XTerra races sound awesome.

Fishy, Merkle, Dave - Nice weeks.

Dave - I see nothing wrong with a 5k 1 week out from a HM. I PRd the 5k the week before PRing the marathon last year, if memory serves.

I'm finally back to around where I want to be mileage-wise! Feels good, man.

My coach is having an informal 1 mile race tomorrow to kick off Independence day, and I'm heavily leaning towards running it. I've never run a mile before, so this should be definite type 2 fun. 
                What shoes does one wear for such a thing? Super-light, zero cushion running flats? Marathon super shoes? Trainers?

Weekly for period: From: 06/26/2023 To 07/02/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                in ft
                06/26 4 Mississippi kites & 3 rabbits 11.00 17.71 01:33:47 08:32 05:18 364
                06/26 Getting back ahead of things 4.10 6.60 00:36:08 08:49 05:28 177
                06/27 37 geese, 2 rabbits, & 1 deer (8 strides) 8.01 12.88 01:12:13 09:01 05:36 236
                06/27 Picking up what I left earlier 2.05 3.30 00:19:00 09:16 05:45 79
                06/28 18' HMe + 14' HMe 12.10 19.47 01:38:13 08:07 05:03 328
                06/28 Fall is around the corner, right? 4.10 6.60 00:37:32 09:09 05:41 197
                06/29 3 rabbits, 3 runners, & 1 heron 6.00 9.66 00:56:15 09:23 05:49 197
                06/29 2 red admiral butterflies 4.10 6.60 00:38:04 09:17 05:46 194
                06/30 2 rabbits & 1 tiny scorpion 11.01 17.71 01:34:49 08:37 05:21 374
                06/30 Lunch Run 4.10 6.60 00:36:45 08:58 05:34 184
                07/01 Familiarizing myself with that hill 17.00 27.36 02:31:38 08:55 05:33 1263
                07/02 It's good to be back 4.10 6.60 00:37:00 09:01 05:36 161

Totals: Time: 12:51:24 - Statute: 87.68 mi - Metric: 141.08 km

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

mmerkle

Commander In my opinion, for such a short distance, I would wear flats, spikes, or minimalist shoes, whatever you have and prefer. Burn the first 150-200 meters and then settle but don't burn the whole first lap. Expect laps 1 and 4 to be the fastest, and try not to go too limp on lap 3, which is the worst part of the race. Lap 3 is going to feel like the last couple minutes of a 5k more or less, but you got there in only a couple minutes!

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’d say keep your options open and keep an eye on the weather forecast…if it’s ideal Parkrun conditions 2 weeks out then go for it, if not then wait until the following week. You generally need about 1 day recovery for 1 mile raced so that shouldn’t be an issue.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Pain is my friend

Thanks everyone. It was a great day till hour 17. I was wearing Hoka Bondi. Love them. I haven't totally writen off an out door track atempt one day. Don't know when. I want to move in to longer races like 48 hour loops and backyard ultras.

Krash - The speeds you're capable of across these distances (even when having a bad day) boggle the mind.
                      I didn't know the Petit center was a concrete track, that'll ruin almost anyone's day.
                      What shoes were you wearing?
                      It does suck when things go sideways - I learned to embrace the "Z" plan at CIM 2021. Why write off all track races instead of just cement track races?

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Dave - Pretty much what mmerkle said.  I'd go with 2 weeks out to get the fitness benefit.  I felt recovered enough to do a long run on Saturday afternoon if I had to so no issues with recovery I would think.

Gold Coast - My physio, Caden Shields, finished in 2:14 with a minor fade.  He was going at 2:10 pace at one stage.  His PR is 2:13, and his first marathon was 2:15 at Gold Coast.  I wonder if he'd gone at 2:12 instead he would have got that PR, but he did well to hold on when he was clearly suffering, and nabbed third in the Oceania championships.  We were following on my training group chat and our coach said to look out for Matt Baxter.  He went with the leaders for way too long and crashed pretty badly.  The main reason we were following was a guy in our group was gunning for his 2 year goal of sub 2:30 (previous PR of 2:31, and 2:36 at ChCh which wasn't his #1 goal race).  He was bang on target until 20km then actually increased his pace.  I was feeling confident and excited for him...but then the dreaded delay in updates on his splits before coach confirmed he'd got a message that he'd pulled the pin between 30-35km.  Absolutely no sign of a fade on his splits so will be interesting to hear what happened.

That women's winner, WOW.  Fastest half-marathon ever run by a woman on Australian soil.  And Liam Adams came third in the marathon (first in Oceania) with a PR and fastest marathon ever run by an Australian on Australian soil, breaking a record set in 1981.

San Francisco - I'm glad I got to visit it when it was still fighting off the logical conclusion of far left policies.

Keen - Monster week.  Or average week for you...I doubt you missed anything insightful by skipping that.  Very wise move.

Can you please update my Hagley Park Run from August 12 to August 5?  Some friends from Wellington are coming down who are Park Runners so I'm going to do it that weekend instead.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Catching up.....

Krash  - that race report was fascinating.  "Every thing went great up untill about hour 17." is the quote that summarizes ultra running.

Steve - if I calculated correctly, you stood for nearly 15 minutes before starting.  That's certainly long enough to stiffen the legs in cold weather.  The race is a very positive indication of your fitness.

Piwi - that Parkrun course sounds a bit odd.  But I guess that's Parkrun for you.  I find that 400m workout you posted very interesting.

Marky_Mark- you write: "rocky coastline...rock hopping...slippery mud...swampy...very enjoyable" - I think you may have something in common with Krash.

Flavio - thanks for the reminder to try to dig up that Lausanne 5K.    As for the AQ - I've lived on the US east coast my entire life - either in the DC/Baltimore area or in the Boston area.   This is the first year that I remember forest fire smoke ever being an issue.

Fishy - all is looking good.

Merkle - good luck on Thursday.

Dave - solid week for you, even with the travel issues.  I laughed at the comment about the non-progression run.  As for the 5K, I think you can do it a week before and still do a top performance at the half. Ideally the gap would be Saturday to Sunday - I do think the two are close enough that you're on the edge of the 5K affecting the half - enough so that things like how fast you personally recover and the weather and course of the 5K could push things one way or the other.

CK - WRT shoes for the mile - I would wear whatever shoes feel best when doing 200s.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Steve I would have liked to see Matt Baxter go for sub 2.15 but halfway in 1.03 was suicide. I saw him run 1.05 in the Mount half a couple years ago and his form was beautiful to watch.

DW they set up Parkrun to not cross roads so courses can be limited although they could have done a loop course rather than an H shape. Whoever designed the course is probably not concerned on times like us crazy competitive jerks 

That 400m workout was my own invention as you can tell  mainly just to turn the legs over without too much stress leading into what was going to be a 5k weekend.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

DW they set up Parkrun to not cross roads so courses can be limited although they could have done a loop course rather than an H shape. Whoever designed the course is probably not concerned on times like us crazy competitive jerks 

That 400m workout was my own invention as you can tell  mainly just to turn the legs over without too much stress leading into what was going to be a 5k weekend.

We also have some odd shaped Parkruns that could be designed better for a faster time….but I would never complain as it’s free and encourages people to run. 🤷‍♂️.  My Parkrun PR was not actually in a park but at Seaford promenade and obviously flat as a pancake…1.55km east, then 1.55km west…a bit boring but when you’re in good shape you have to take the best possible PR options. 

Krash - I like the idea of track ultras because it’s flat and you can still run. I do some hilly trail runs for recovery but I never really consider them proper workouts as the pace is so slow. I used to have a pair of the original Hoka Bondi B shoes and they were amazing!  I was a big fan of Hoka for first few years but their “upgrades” just got worse and worse imo.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

We also have some odd shaped Parkruns that could be designed better for a faster time….but I would never complain as it’s free and encourages people to run. 🤷‍♂️.  My Parkrun PR was not actually in a park but at Seaford promenade and obviously flat as a pancake…1.55km east, then 1.55km west…a bit boring but when you’re in good shape you have to take the best possible PR options. 

Honestly. You give us Kiwis a hard time about short courses and then run 3.1km and call it a 5km PR.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"