Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Honestly. You give us Kiwis a hard time about short courses and then run 3.1km and call it a 5km PR.

😂😂😂. I think you’ve got yourself onto the page 1 notable quotes. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I know a few runners that went over for Gold Coast.  Some good times overall and looks like the sort of genuine big race event that we don't get in NZ at all.  Might have to consider it next year if I can afford the trip!  Sounds like a real blowout from Matt Baxter.  I think the conditions meant that anyone who faded got really punished by a headwind for the last 7-8km.

Steve - I daresay if the full had been on Saturday (when the half way), Caden might've run a PB. Pretty perfect conditions that day from what I heard as opposed to the wind that picked up on the Sunday.

Flavio - excellent stuff on the deadlifts.

Darkwave - I'm very grateful we don't have air quality issues here in NZ.  Some weeks its good just to get the work done, even if it's not quite what you had planned.  I'll definitely defer to Krash when it comes to the really crazy stuff... but it is really rewarding to tackle something tough and different and actually just finish it having managed a fairly consistent effort.

Fishy - nice work. For some reason, any time "sea bass" gets mentioned, all I can ever think of is Dr. Evil saying "mutant sea bass".

Dave - yikes, 23C dewpoint. Ain't no fun running in that.

mmerkle - 6k race? That's a really unusual distance.  At least 8km lines up with 5 miles. Just don't do it at 5k pace or that last km will be absolute death haha.

Keen - I'd definitely consider spikes or flats for that distance. If you really love super shoes and don't have either spikes or flats, then go with them instead.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Weren't they also ill tempered?

Sydney is another option for a big race with the bid to become a major.  Potential weather risks with it being in September while Gold Coast is usually pretty good from my understanding, although training in Auckland would definitely be better preparation than training in Christchurch.  Melbourne increased their capacity for the marathon this year and for the first time ever it has sold out, with 3 months to spare.  Some people smell a rat but I don't know what they'd have to gain by faking it.

I'd love to start planning a big city marathon but the ever growing monkey on my back must be tamed first.

Also, in January and February we'll get some pretty smoky days down here, but nothing like what's happening in North America, or Australia every summer.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

Fishy - nice work. For some reason, any time "sea bass" gets mentioned, all I can ever think of is Dr. Evil saying "mutant sea bass".

I kept a look out but no "Sharks with Frickin' Laser Beams on their heads" 

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I ended up going with super shoes (Asics Metaspeed Sky) for my mile race, largely owing to two factors: 1) I have no spikes and have never used any, and 2) It turned out that the super-light flats didn't survive a purge of running shoes I no longer wear.

All in all the race was super fun - It was somewhat put together to give a guy trying to break 5 people to run with (he ran 4:58-59). I ran 5:28-29 (calling it 5:29), massively negative splitting it - 85, 84, 81, 77 for the quarters.

I thought 5:30 would be reasonable for the conditions and my complete lack of training faster than HM effort, and followed a local super-fast guy who was pacing one of his athletes (a kid maybe 13 y/o) to 5:30. Knowing what I know now I obviously would have started much faster, aiming for maybe 5:24 or faster. Maybe that'll be something to work on after my October Bad Idea.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Andy - Hard disagreement here. I'd much rather have super cold winters and mild summers. After all, I can bundle up in winter without issue, but in the summer there's only so much clothing I can take off before embarrassing myself.

Here's a fun topic for debate. Would you rather live in an area with frequent severe storms/tornadoes, an area which gets impacted by a hurricane once per year, or an area which has to deal with wildfires every year? I guess the area with hurricanes at least means you live near the beach...

We had a supercell storm Sunday night which didn't have any tornado but sure unleashed hell on our neighborhood for an hour. We didn't have any damage but this house 8 doors down from us got literally cut in half by a massive tree. The old lady living there cannot get up the stairs so she was sleeping downstairs when it happened. This was the worst example but there were multiple houses within a short walk which had major damage from a tree falling on them. We lost power for 24 hours and had a ton of tree debris to clean up but we were lucky.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

DavePNW

Here's a fun topic for debate. Would you rather live in an area with frequent severe storms/tornadoes, an area which gets impacted by a hurricane once per year, or an area which has to deal with wildfires every year? I guess the area with hurricanes at least means you live near the beach...

You forgot about floods and earthquakes! I think my order of preference:

1. Wildfires - in most cases you will not have to deal with actual fire, just smoke. Which sucks, but usually doesn’t last too long and leaves no lasting damage. Other than to your lungs if you decide to keep running through it.

2. Tornadoes - too high a chance of random home damage. Plus this is often where the floods come in.

3. Hurricanes - they may be less frequent than tornadoes, but typically more massive, widespread destruction. Plus the worst part, it probably means living in Florida.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

Would you rather live in an area with frequent severe storms/tornadoes, an area which gets impacted by a hurricane once per year, or an area which has to deal with wildfires every year?

No.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Here we go again... 4 days in a row with massive thunderstorms. I guess having boring weather in Portugal is kind of nice.

Memphis / 38 male

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - I'm more impressed about you running 13 to 14 hours a week than the distances you traverse.
                      You spend nearly 10% of your time running.
                      Re: the mile, I blame the super shoes on that slow start. I'm not convinced you have the necessary dexterity on them.
                      Granted you never raced it before, so maybe you didn't fully understand that Merkle meant when he said you sprint out of the gate.

Andy - I'd prefer none of those things LOL. Worst I faced was winds up to 120 miles an hour. It was not fun.
                      Portugal is plagued with droughts and forest fires every summer, and then there's the Sahara dust some times making the sky orange and making your eyes burn. It's weird times when it comes to weather of late. The Arctic will soon be navigable the entire year, it will be interesting times. All those frozen maladies stuck underneath the ice sheet in Siberia coming back to haunt us heh.

new gear - I've gotten a hot weather t-shirt from soar running. Unfortunately I followed their sizing guide on their site and I should've gone with the Large size instead of Medium. Anyway, that t-shirt has UPF 50 protection on shoulders and arms which will be very useful this summer,  in fact I need to buy more t-shirts with UPF 50 protection.

I've also recently bought a UPF 50 running hat from RaidLight. It seems to work well and I hope it will also protect me well from the sun this summer.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Andy - glad you are safe!

So...in DC, we get a little bit of everything, but nothing severe (knock on wood) - our tornadoes are F0-F2 and hurricanes are category 1 by the time they make it to us.  Our one earthquake of note was just enough to knock books off of shelves and upper Minnesota wouldn't recognize our blizzards. Our floods are usually limited in area and duration.  And we've just gotten smoke from forest fires elsewhere; the occasional fire here so far has just been a blip noted by 20 seconds on the local news just before we go to commercial.

(this is of course all balanced out by that pesky risk of terrorism thing).

Based on my experience with the mild versions of most natural disasters, I think I would take the hurricanes since they come with the most advance warning (if I could be guaranteed just smoke and not an actual fire, I might change my vote).   However, which disaster I would prefer also depends on location.   If it's an earthquake, I'd prefer to ride it out in California over Oklahoma.  Make it a series of tornadoes, and the reverse is true.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I ran 5:28-29 (calling it 5:29), massively negative splitting it - 85, 84, 81, 77 for the quarters.

I thought 5:30 would be reasonable for the conditions and my complete lack of training faster than HM effort, and followed a local super-fast guy who was pacing one of his athletes (a kid maybe 13 y/o) to 5:30.

I'm not trying to troll you or anything as it is good to see a distance runner get a good time in a short race. During my son's track meets in April, there was a 5th grade boy who ran the 1600 in 5:39 and a 3rd grader who ran 5:48. It's amazing to see how fast some of these kids run and if I had legitimately raced them, I would probably get 4th place. When my son ran 6:57 in the mile, he was in the slowest of three heats and still finished 5th in his heat.

Memphis / 38 male

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

You forgot about floods and earthquakes! I think my order of preference:

1. Wildfires - in most cases you will not have to deal with actual fire, just smoke. Which sucks, but usually doesn’t last too long and leaves no lasting damage. Other than to your lungs if you decide to keep running through it.

2. Tornadoes - too high a chance of random home damage. Plus this is often where the floods come in.

3. Hurricanes - they may be less frequent than tornadoes, but typically more massive, widespread destruction. Plus the worst part, it probably means living in Florida.

Wildfires are definitely out. Between air quality and fire risk I'll pass.

Tornadoes are tricky and unpredictable.  I'd consider there, but not my first choice.

Frequent, severe thunderstorms?  Depends on what you consider frequent and severe.  I get t-storms fairly regularly over the summer and simply adjust my running schedule to work around them. Half the time they pass me by anyway.

Other storms, particularly blizzards, are out.  It's no fun to be without power for days at a time when temperatures are well below freezing.

No experience with earthquakes, just news coverage. Frequency and strength would have a bearing.

Ditto with floods.

Hurricane once a year actually isn't too bad. You get plenty of warning, most are not super destructive cat 3 and above. The main drawback would be that hurricane areas also tend to have a very warm, humid climate.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

On my Facebook feed, a “suggested page” for me is Sara Hall’s, with a sample post:

Last week looked like:

Monday: 3x3 mile repeats, half marathon down to 10k pace

Wednesday: 10x 800m @ 10k pace with 90 sec rest.

Friday: 10 mile tempo @ marathon goal pace

Sunday: 19 mile brisk long run

With beautiful easy miles between.

Holy shit.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I ended up going with super shoes (Asics Metaspeed Sky) for my mile race, largely owing to two factors: 1) I have no spikes and have never used any, and 2) It turned out that the super-light flats didn't survive a purge of running shoes I no longer wear.

All in all the race was super fun - It was somewhat put together to give a guy trying to break 5 people to run with (he ran 4:58-59). I ran 5:28-29 (calling it 5:29), massively negative splitting it - 85, 84, 81, 77 for the quarters.

I thought 5:30 would be reasonable for the conditions and my complete lack of training faster than HM effort, and followed a local super-fast guy who was pacing one of his athletes (a kid maybe 13 y/o) to 5:30. Knowing what I know now I obviously would have started much faster, aiming for maybe 5:24 or faster. Maybe that'll be something to work on after my October Bad Idea.

Better running the mile that way than in the reverse with splits of 77, 81, 84, 85. Personally I think it takes a lot more experience and practice to run a good mile than it does a 5K or 10K.  I think if you chose to focus on the mile for a couple months you could run in the 5:10-5:15 range, but it would take very targeted training.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.