Newbie. Not feeling the burn in my hamstrings, what am I doing wrong? (Read 1207 times)

loplop bird superior

Hi, 

I just started running a week ago. I'm doing interval training right now, 1:30 running, 2:00 walking 8xs. After a run I feel plenty of burn in my calves, shins, and front of thighs, but not in my hamstrings. Am I doing something wrong? I will note that as a beginner, it has been hard to lift my legs when running. Should I lift more or wait until I get stronger, more endurance?

For more information,

I'm going by a 24-week training plan, where you begin running at 30sec, walk 2 min, and now I am up to the run 1:30 , walk 2. I do this 4 times a week, with two easy 30 minute walks on the other two days. My goal is just to get healthy, get energized, and lose about five pounds and keep it off. Being as I am out of shape, I am pushing myself, but not over the edge, I don't want to injure myself. 

Good to know, am not always sure where the burns should come from. Thanks for all your comments.

Hi, 

I just started running a week ago. I'm doing interval training right now, 1:30 running, 2:00 walking 8xs. After a run I feel plenty of burn in my calves, shins, and front of thighs, but not in my hamstrings. Am I doing something wrong? I will note that as a beginner, it has been hard to lift my legs when running. Should I lift more or wait until I get stronger, more endurance?

I don't think anyone has enough information about what it is you are trying to do.  As in what are your goals and how much running are you doing.  It generally helps to let people see your running log.  What is it your interval training is for?  Most distance runners only do that to sharpen their speed for month of key racing.  Or are you just doing run-walk to gain endurance and are calling that intervals? 

Either way, I'm not sure I ever feel burn in my hamstrings though. 

A Saucy Wench

I rarely feel the burn in my hamstrings.  Just be patient and keep going slowly to build more endurance.  It isnt necessary to feel the burn in any particular muscle group

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

JimR

You just started, don't expect much beyond residual soreness here and there the day after a run.  Just work on getting one foot in front of the other.  You don't want to be pressing hard enough to experience any sort of 'burn' right now as this would mean you're overdoing it.

Running is not like lifting, I never get a burn while running, usually I may end up with hands on my knees after a sprint (or playing soccer and stuff), and dull pain over various leg parts, but no burn.

If you are feeling it, slow down on your  run portions and try to lengthen the run interval (thereby shortening the walk interval).

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm a little concerned that you say you just started running and are doing interval training. 

So that we're clear what we're dealing with, are you running these intervals hard?  medium hard?  Or as someone being new to running, are you going slow and taking breaks? (The latter would be the best answer.)

Experienced runners actually run easy most of the time.  Easy means a pace that you could have a conversation at if you were running with someone.  When I run at easy pace, whether it's for 4 miles or 14, I never feel a burn unless I'm going up a hill (where you don't have much choice).

If you're brand new to running, you're probably running too hard if you feel the burn.  The key to developing as a new runner is quantity, not intensity.  Focus on running easy.  Running easy will allow you to run more, without pain or injury.  And running more will ultimately make you faster.  Your easy pace will get faster with more running.

Run a lot.  Mostly easy.  Sometimes hard.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

what Jeff Said!

Most people would be asking "I have a Burning in my Hamstring ... What am I doing wrong?".  You should not want burn/pain as sign of overdoing it.  Usually do not get any burn or muscle soarness in training and get a little after races when you are hitting muscle fibers at a pace/distance combination that is new, beut with the exception of the marathon even this is minimal.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Applying Icy Hot would probably fix the "problem".

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

AleXC94

Given, hamstrings are one of the strongest leg muscles. You most likely will never feel a burn there throughout you're whole running career. However, what you should be more concerned about is your interval training. Instead of running for 1:30 and walking for 2:00. Try slowing down and running without stopping. Slow down as much as you have to even if you feel you aren't working hard. That 2:00 you're walking for doesn't really benefit you as much as if you were to just slow down and run without stopping. Good Luck
                    JimR

However, what you should be more concerned about is your interval training. Instead of running for 1:30 and walking for 2:00. Try slowing down and running without stopping. Slow down as much as you have to even if you feel you aren't working hard. That 2:00 you're walking for doesn't really benefit you as much as if you were to just slow down and run without stopping. Good Luck

Actually, what the poster is doing is just fine.  Run some, walk some, repeat.  This person is brand new to running and just needs to get time on her feet and slowly build that conditioning.

A Saucy Wench

Actually, what the poster is doing is just fine.  Run some, walk some, repeat.  This person is brand new to running and just needs to get time on her feet and slowly build that conditioning.

+1

And what Jeff said.  Burning is not the goal. It's the warning.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

After a run I feel plenty of burn in my calves, shins, and front of thighs, but not in my hamstrings. Am I doing something wrong?

What you are doing wrong is making the classic newbie mistake of trying to do too much too soon. You should never feel burning in any of your muscles during a training run. All of your runs at this point should be run at an easy "conversational" pace. Even muscle soreness a day or two after your runs should be minimal. Your goal at this point should be to slowly build endurance without getting injured. Speed should not be part of the equation.

Tom