Eating right after a marathon (Read 1487 times)

I ran the Philly marathon yesterday. PB'ed by almost 10 minutes. Smile After the race I started sipping some water and walked to the food tent where I ate a piece of a pretzel and a couple of bites of a banana. My stomach never feels great after a marathon but I thought it had settled enough by the time I started eating. I walked back to the hotel, feeling sick, and laid on a couch for my stomach to settle. An hour later I threw up everything I had ingested after the race. I eventually grabbed a cab to get to the airport and threw up in the cab (in a bag luckily) just as we arrived to the airport. Damn speed bumps. In the airport, I started sipping on a ginger ale and luckily, by the time the plane took off, I felt better. I sipped another ginger ale on the short flight and only once I got to destination I start feeling very hungry (good sign). I ate and was feeling great. So, although I never had a great appetite right after a marathon before, I always was able to ingest a bit to get my energy back and rehydrate. I'm always puzzled when I see some other runners stuff their face after the finish. Is it common to feel sick after a marathon? And what's a good strategy for eating after? Is it caused by dehydration?
    db7

So far I have found that I eat too much too soon. You have all that sugar and Goo or whatever in your gut that hasn't moved along. Then I start cramming stuff in because I'm starving. Last marathon, I felt so sick for hours. Next time I will try to control myself when the race is over. Glad to hear you survived even though it was rough for a while. Congrats on a great race!! DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

RunB - perhaps you were mildly hyponatremic? If you sweated out more salt than you took in through sports drinks and carb replacements then your electrolytes may have been messed up? Next time, try sprinkling a little salt in the palm of your hand and you can lick it out of your hand (you'll absorb it through your mouth rather than your gut). Usually if you're salt depleted, this will get the salt replaced relatively easily and may allow you to tolerate food a little better. Give the salt about 15 minutes to do it's trick, then try eating a bit.
        Treat the cause, not just the symptoms... http://www.runningstong.com
          Way different experience then me.......Now I have only run one marathon and that was quite a few years ago but I ate everything is site for about 3 days.....I just couldnt fill up.......a large group of us had a chartered bus and I had an ice chest full of food and ate it all and some of my friends too..... I'm 'guessing' you were too dehydrated and just needed a lot of water or possible Ginger Ale or Gatoraide or the like for a few hours first......again, this is only a guess.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

RunB - perhaps you were mildly hyponatremic?
            This could be it! I only skipped one fluid station and either had Gatorade or water with a GU. It might have been not enough. After the race I had big salt spots on my temples and cheeks. I always have some after marathons, but this was more than usual. Should I be taking electrolyte supplements during the race on top of Gatorade? They said they had Gatorade endurance at this race which has a higher level of electrolytes than the regular kind. Thanks.

I'm of hte stuff my face sort of runner...but I do that before, during and after the marathon so at least I'm consistent. Having an iron stomach helps.

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

wanderingoutlaw

This could be it! I only skipped one fluid station and either had Gatorade or water with a GU. It might have been not enough. After the race I had big salt spots on my temples and cheeks. I always have some after marathons, but this was more than usual. Should I be taking electrolyte supplements during the race on top of Gatorade? They said they had Gatorade endurance at this race which has a higher level of electrolytes than the regular kind.
                This sounds about like me after the OBX marathon a couple of weeks ago. I never have had salt spots before this race. My stomach took thirty to sixty minutes to feel like eating. I had a small amount of orange slice and a bite of a granola bar but didn't eat til my stomach felt decent. So fortunately I didn't have a throw-up episode like you. I'll probably carry some electrolyte supplements next time. (I used some during the summer training but ran out before the marathon and ordered none.)

John

protoplasm72

Last marathon had small ham sandwiches and ice cream at the finish, plus the usual fruit and granola bar type stuff. I ate all of it and then went back to the hotel and ordered a pizza and ate the whole thing. No stomach problems. My guess is that you just ran to hard (or maybe just hard enough). Pushing yourself to the limit can do that. I think you'd almost have to try to mess your electrolytes up. If you were just drinking water and sweating a lot it might happen but using gatorade/gu it's unlikely. If you weren't drinking enough you'd be dehydrated but still have the correct % of electrolytes in you.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

The Greatest of All Time

I can't eat after a marathon either. It takes me about an hour or so before I get hungry and then I feed slowly. It probably takes about 4 hours before my regular appetite is back. Nothing weird about your experience. I usually don't have an appetite after long or hard runs.
                    all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                    AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm of hte stuff my face sort of runner...but I do that before, during and after the marathon so at least I'm consistent. Having an iron stomach helps.
                      I eat before and after long runs and marathons -- not so much during. But, I've wondered if I start racing marathons (I mean, to the point of discomfort and maybe pain -- the way 5Ks and 10Ks are getting painful for me as I hit my limit I think), if I'll have to be more careful. But Blaine, you race your marathons, right? You can still eat before them without having to wait an hour or something for digestion? And you can still eat afterwards, even if you really race your marathons?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.