damp rain wear (Read 823 times)

haroldjiii

run, rest & read

I looked back for 10 pages in the forum and didn't see anything.  If there's a previous topic, pleae let me know.  I live in Taiwan, and the winters are damp and cool (10-18C).  I need a running suit to deal with keeping me dry. I've tried a track suit, but the rain and humidity combined with my sweat soak it. Not so worried about my head, and just a top will do fine. Nothing's perfect, but what works?

Merry Christmas

ymmv

No! Dry not. Run, or run not. There is no dry.

Feeling the growl again

You want to stay warm, not dry.  Trying to stay dry is a lost cause.  Wear synthetic layers with either a windproof vest or jacket, enough that you warm up within a few minutes and stay that way during your run.  Then get out of the wet clothes as soon as you are finished running, before you start cooling off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

You want to stay warm, not dry.  Trying to stay dry is a lost cause.  Wear synthetic layers with either a windproof vest or jacket, enough that you warm up within a few minutes and stay that way during your run.  Then get out of the wet clothes as soon as you are finished running, before you start cooling off.

+1. The only time staying dry is really important is when it gets below 0F. Then wet equals rapid heat loss. If you swear a lot early on when it is that cold you will freeze later in the run.

A Saucy Wench

+1

I run in rain 8 months out of the year.  

Dry is impossible.  If you go waterproof you become a sweat monkey.  Dress for ~ 5 degrees colder than it really is and you'll be fine.  Unless it is REALLY windy I dont even do a windproof layer as most of them dont work very well once they get wet. 

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

+1. The only time staying dry is really important is when it gets below 0F. Then wet equals rapid heat loss. If you swear a lot early on when it is that cold you will freeze later in the run.

With modern wicking fabrics, you're not really that wet either.  I remember when I got my first real synthetic running shirt in college.  I wore it as a base layer underneath a cotton shirt (I NEVER exercise in cotton anymore!) on a sub-freezing day.  I was shocked when I finished the run, feeling totally dry, and when I took off the cotton shirt it was sopping wet.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

A Saucy Wench

How often do you get wet below 0F?  Even if it is snowing that cold it just usually bounces off.

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Feeling the growl again

How often do you get wet below 0F?  Even if it is snowing that cold it just usually bounces off.

If that was directed at me, I always dress so I am sweating at least a little during the run...that's what leads to getting wet below freezing.

Temps just above freezing and rain is the worst.  That's just tough to dress for.

Temps just above freezing and rain is the worst.  That's just tough to dress for.

Spaniel

welcome to our world in the great & wild PNW!        but by following your original advice here, s/b no problems

love running in the rain but hate, just hate the cold bitter winds, especially against the face

btw, Ennay was slightly  incorrect,  it's more like 9 or 10 mths out of the year, unless of course she takes a month off

A Saucy Wench

Spaniel

welcome to our world in the great & wild PNW!        but by following your original advice here, s/b no problems

love running in the rain but hate, just hate the cold bitter winds, especially against the face

btw, Ennay was slightly  incorrect,  it's more like 9 or 10 mths out of the year, unless of course she takes a month off

Portland is drier than Seattle.  By a lot. 

Except the past couple years it has been 10 months. but it hasnt rained hardly at all this month which is freaky and wrong and we had to cancel our ski trip.

Besides on my run I did the math 10-18 C isnt even cold rain.  that's 50- 65F  That's like summer rain. 

xor

I kind of chuckled when I saw "below 0 F".

I'm pretty sure my set point is higher than that.

However, yes, I agree with the idea that "warm" is the big deal.  You gonna get damp.

Have dry clothes for as-close-to-immediately-after, though.  It is one thing to run in 35 w/ wind and rain.  It's a whole other thing to stand around for a little bit after having run in 35 w/ wind and rain in wet clothes.

keeponrunning

Besides on my run I did the math 10-18 C isnt even cold rain.  that's 50- 65F  That's like summer rain. 

I was just about to post that before you beat me to it.  In that weather I'm still in shorts and a short-sleeve top.  I agree with those who said wicking fabrics are your friend.  If that is cool to you, toss on a thin sweater, I have some great Adidas ones that are a silky material and don't tend to make me feel wet.  

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

I was just about to post that before you beat me to it.  In that weather I'm still in shorts and a short-sleeve top.  I agree with those who said wicking fabrics are your friend.  If that is cool to you, toss on a thin sweater, I have some great Adidas ones that are a silky material and don't tend to make me feel wet.  

i agree those are summer temps.  I  usually just wear shorts at 50-65F and make sure the drawstring on waist is tied.Wink 

But if too cool for you, try a light wind breaker made of some plastic/polyethylene windbreaker material.  They are usually  water resistant but don't breath well, i.e., you will sweat.  I use them in winter rains when I need to run in colder rain with multiple layers.  I have a few Nike and even an Izod - both fold up into pocket pouches.  Other option is a rain poncho.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

Half Fanatic #846

With modern wicking fabrics, you're not really that wet either.  I remember when I got my first real synthetic running shirt in college.  I wore it as a base layer underneath a cotton shirt (I NEVER exercise in cotton anymore!) on a sub-freezing day.  I was shocked when I finished the run, feeling totally dry, and when I took off the cotton shirt it was sopping wet.

Cotton is rotten!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I rarely do, my point was more about overdressing. If you go out in 10 layers and sweat your ass off, once they get soaked through you will be in bad shape if it is really cold out.