Television - and decided for first race (Read 691 times)

11:00PM... and since it is the first day of daylight saving time, it feels like 12:00PM (or do you say 12:00AM or 00:00AM?) My average television time has increased a lot the last weeks: normally I watch TV for only 1 or 2 hours a month, but since a few weeks there is that program 'Marathon' on the Flemish national broadcast. 6 people, 3 man, 3 woman, aged 33 - 51, who haven't run a mile in their whole live, started to prepare for the Ne York marathon a year ago (so they will be running next weekend). Today was a transmission (???right word???) about the 20K of Brussels they ran in May as a part of there preparation. It was so stimulating to see, feel the atmosphere at such a race.... No, I'm definitely not aiming for a marathon (yet?), and certainly not within a year. After all, those 6 were coached professionally, had very close medical supervision.... My first long-term goal is a 16K (almost 10miles) trail run in September 2007. But yesterday I was looking through our town's information magazine, and found out that on November 26th, there is a 'forest run', fundraising for cancerresearch, here in our town. Distances are 3K, 6K, 9K and 15K. (weird distances maybe Wink ) 3K doesn't seem very challenging, since I already run more on my training runs, so it will be the 6K for me. I still have to find someone who wants to take care of our son (or accompany him to the race), because dh has to guide a hike in 'the Ardennes', the Southern part of Belgium, but I'll certainly find some kind of solution (maybe ds is tempted to run the children's' race, only 1K - but the problem is that the start of that race is only 15 min before those 6K, so he will arrive when I'm already waiting for the start...) OK, 11:25 PM, going to bed.... goodnight to everybody! I must say it feels very good, motivating to have that race within a few weeks!

Running in Belgium
    Ann

Princess Cancer Pants

Man, if I were in Belgium I would watch your little guy and cheer you on. I have a 5.5 year old son and that's certainly a challenge when it comes to making time for training. It can be tough to arrange time for our own workouts around the schedules of our spouses and small kids. Boy, I think you could probably shoot for the 6k, assuming the terrain is not too daunting. 6k would be a nice distance at your place in training. Can you commit to a distance and change a few days before if you don't feel ready for it? k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Can you commit to a distance and change a few days before if you don't feel ready for it?
        Oh yes.... You can only subscribe on the same day, not before... It is really a very local thing, more a run than a race. I even think you can change your mind during the race: The four distances all start at 10:00 AM, and they are all multiples of 3K, so I suppose there is a trail of more or less 3K, that you can run 1, 2,3 or 5 times. And the terrain, well, you can take a look here. It's partly sand, partly dirt roads, but relatively flat. (I live in a very flat region. The spot were the run takes place is called 'keiheuvel' = stonehill, but 'hill' is really an understatement (our street is 'Bukenberg' = Beech mountain, and has an elevation of maybe one or two yards over one mile Wink ).

Running in Belgium
        Ann

Princess Cancer Pants

Oh, that looks like a beautiful race! And since they're so flexible, I think I'd just do what you feel up to on the day of the race--that's kind of a nice no-pressure event. Smile k

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

Scout7

CPT Curmudgeon

I live for races. Gives me motivation to keep going. And I've found that a lot of the time, I enjoy the small local runs more than the big mega-events.