RA Movie Thread (Read 5918 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

let me just say, it goes without saying, i love all things zombie, and i know im not alone on that. this one is a must see. dead snow

think evil dead meets shaun of the dead.

We finally got around to watching this...and I can't decide if I like it or not...it's definitely the goriest zombie flick I've ever seen.  But the emphasis on intestines was odd.  And why did they kill the old guy early on?  Did he have some of their treasure?  I never once heard a single uttering of "uff da" out of a bunch of Norskes, either...which was sorta disconcerting.  And why were the guys all so dorky looking (aside from the snowmobile guy), when every chick was hot?  I wanted some eye candy, too!

And f'ing in an outhouse just after the dude evicted a family of bears...WTF?!  That's just gross.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

We finally got around to watching this...and I can't decide if I like it or not...it's definitely the goriest zombie flick I've ever seen.  But the emphasis on intestines was odd.  And why did they kill the old guy early on?  Did he have some of their treasure?  I never once heard a single uttering of "uff da" out of a bunch of Norskes, either...which was sorta disconcerting.  And why were the guys all so dorky looking (aside from the snowmobile guy), when every chick was hot?  I wanted some eye candy, too!

And f'ing in an outhouse just after the dude evicted a family of bears...WTF?!  That's just gross.

You know, I always wonder why we get all the boobs and women kind of get screwed (no pun intended) as far as nudity but I kinda like it Smile I am just bummed that just because Jennifer Aniston is now in a relationship, she took out (modified) her frontal nudity scene in her upcoming movie. Arrgghh!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Saw "In Time" recently: Probably one of the only concept SF films to hit the theaters since Moon (why is this genre so poorly served these days?).  The concept and world building are excellent.  Timberlake proves himself a good actor and shucked his boy-ishness for some good manly-handsome.  However, the execution is a bit off.  A one point Mrs. Stadjak asked, "where is this movie going?"  I told her, "It's a Robin Hood film".  But for some reason in all its metaphoric power it pulls its punch in the end.  The translation of money directly into time is near mind bending.  And some of the social/existential implications are interesting.  But that's where it seems to end. (3/5)

"The Thing" (2011): If you've seen the John Carpenter film of 1982, this takes place in the Norwegian camp that Kurt Russle's team find burned and abandoned -- the one with an ominous half-ice block.  Some of the lesser known Norwegian actors put in solid performances.  The non-English speaking character Lars does a particularly good job with his minor role.  The female protagonist also checks in a solid.  This film is pretty enjoyable.  There aren't any real surprises.  But the execution is good.  There's only one frustrating "why don't they just do [this]!" moment.  But eventually the characters come around to it.  In general it's a good SF film in the vein  of the 1982 version of this film.  Worth watching. (3/5)

"Stranger Than Paradise": I just don't get Jim Jarmusch.  About the only two things I liked were Hungarian Aunt Lotti's unbeatability at Gin: "I am the winner" (in thick accented staccato along with the assertion that she never loses), and the Hungarian cousin's lack of verbal enthusiasm for everything.  Yes, it's a relief from Hollywood's polished everything, but I guess Hal Hartley (an obvious heir to Jarmusch) does this better and with a much more clever script.  (relevant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofU9CTROCOM Wink. (2/5)

"The Bad Sleep Well" 1960 Kurosawa: This is a courtly drama translated into corporate and governmental corruption.  Kurosawa's hammers home the impossibility of making a dent, much less bringing down, the 'system'.  It's a slow movie without much in the way of strong acting.  The plot is the thing, here.  One of the most enjoyable lines is when the corrupt execs are talking about a deal they made and how the govt only gave have of the agreed to kick-back to the company. "15% is the normal kick-back, you should be happy."  Or something like that.  The idea of a "normal kickback" is wonderfully slipped in.  I can't really recommend this film -- just too long and plodding. (2/5)

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Saw "In Time" recently: Probably one of the only concept SF films to hit the theaters since Moon (why is this genre so poorly served these days?).

I think we must have talked about Moon upthread...that was a really good movie.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"Elite Squad: The Enemy Within" 2010, Brazilian film: This is an excellent crime-drama.  Good cop vs corrupt system. The narrative follows a complex understanding of the adaptability of crime and why it isn't easy to solve no matter what your intentions, and no matter what power you wield.  It's a powerful movie well worth seeing. (4/5)

"Midnight In Paris" 2011, Woody Allen: If you like the literary and artistic scene of 1920's Paris you'll love this flick.  The woman who plays Zelda Fitzgerald and the guy who plays Hemingway almost steal the show.  Papa's lines are pitch perfect and undercut at the same time, and so is the delivery.  It's odd to watch Owen Wilson and noticed that his shtick is so similar to Allen's own on-screen persona.  Wilson is very enjoyable to watch and carries the movie well.  Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein nails it.  There's just so much to love about this film. The only weakness of the film is the fiancee and parents -- paper-thin and irredeemable.  (4/5)

Tiefsa

I'm looking forward to seeing The Hunger Games.  I haven't watched a movie in the theater in 10 years.  (Having three children will do that to you), but I'm going to reach out to the grandparents and see if my wife and I can go see it.

My wife just tore through the book in two days.  I hope the movie doesn't suck!

SMART Approach

Saw 21Jump Street yesterday. Pleasantly surprised how funny it was. Just know it will be silly, but you will laugh your butt off for much of the movie especially the first 2/3 of it. High ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

"My Week with Marilyn" (2011) - It's pretty hard to pull off Marilyn Monroe.  She was such a natural; her coy seductions so playfully smoldering yet somehow innocent.  Michelle Williams gives it the college try, but can't quite pull it off.  The iconic scenes she recreates are good but missing the magic of the original.  Kenneth Branagh seems to portray himself as Lawrence Olivier trying to make the tough transition from theater ueberman to movie star.  The ostensible tension in the play is between these thespian arts: movie or theater.  Monroe neurotically longs to be taken seriously, Olivier throws tantrums to beat the secret of camera seduction from his co-star.  Olivier's troubles are relived by Branagh; he always seems to be overly theatrical, which is well hidden by playing Olivier here, but he himself can't seem to make a graceful transition to movie character.  Branagh is never able to shed Branagh.  The film its self is a bit of a bore.  You end up hating this child named Norma Jean as it's hard to identify with her struggle.  (2/5).

"Coco Before Chanel"  (2009) - Audrey Tautou, who doesn't love Audrey Tautou.  Her age is showing a bit in this film, which make her performance more interesting.  She's no longer the sad sprite of Amelie and similar roles.  Here she's sullen with a constant dark cloud over her head.  I think she laughs once in the film.   It's a good performance.  If it weren't for her the mesmerizing pools of her dark eyes the movie would have been stolen by her co-star Benoît Poelvoorde, who plays her early benefactor.  He skillfully navigates the waters of their relationship, developing a quid-pro-quo that leaves you unsure who is taking advantage of whom.  Through the modern lens you see her subjected to humiliations that play rough against modern sensibilities, but his deliveries of lines remind you that at this time she is no more than an beautiful leech; he is doing nothing more than being explicit about the trade.  It's an interesting film from a sociological perspective as well as her personal journey.  And while the film is in French the production value seems more American (which is good if that's your taste). (3/5).

"The Flying Scotsman" (2006) - Down on his luck, small-town cyclist works hard, battles his demons (and the system) and builds a bike to ace a few world records.  I pleasant film, though the story structure is a bit off.  For example, when he's trying for the records you really don't have a good grasp of what he's trying to do.  For example, you imagine he's trying to finish under a certain time for a set distance.  But this record is a matter of set time over variable distance.   So he's going around laps of a track trying to do more laps than anyone has done before -- or in this case more inches past the last lap.  But you only piece this together later if it's something that bothered you.  The opening scene sets up some good tension in what would otherwise be a plot constricted story (where you know the outcome because why else would this true story be made).  Another detail doesn't quite make sense in the film: his form disqualifies him from a meet, but when his manager suggests using tri-bars he dismisses it.  However, later he effectively adds tri-bars to his bike and it's seen a revolutionary.  I'd hope cyclists watching would know the difference, but it is a bit lost on the unwashed audience.  Still, good racing film (3/5).

Imminent Catastrophe

Three Nyucks for the Three Stooges movie!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Cool Jump Suit

Went to see What to Expect When You're Expecting...... it was a bit disappointing.  The previews made it look really funny, but other than a few scenes it wasn't so much.  Chris Rock was great (as always).  Wife related to it a little better than me, but no big surprise there.  Giving it  a B-; I want to go see The Avengers now. 

So bittersweet,
                      This tragedy
                      Won't ask for absolution;
                      This melody,
                      Inside of me,
                      Still searches for solution.
                      A twist of faith,
                      A change of heart
                      Cures my infatuation.
                      A broken heart, 
                      Provides the spark
                      For my determination.

Cool Jump Suit

Rented Tower Heist this weekend.  Wasn't expecting much, it was pretty funny though.  But when I see Matthew Broderick in anything, all I see is the kid from WarGames and of course, Ferris Bueller. They should have worked in a cameo for Donald Trump.  Worth the rental fee.

So bittersweet,
                        This tragedy
                        Won't ask for absolution;
                        This melody,
                        Inside of me,
                        Still searches for solution.
                        A twist of faith,
                        A change of heart
                        Cures my infatuation.
                        A broken heart, 
                        Provides the spark
                        For my determination.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. DW gives it a 4 of 5 stars. It was really good.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

xor

So.  Ummmm....

what makes Mike magic?

I have no desire to see Magic Mike (or a dirty teddy bear movie, but that's because I hate Family Guy).

The ads for Magic Mike here are utilizing this quote from some review:

"It is the Citizen Kane of Stripper Movies!"

Still no desire to see Magic Mike, but that there is some funny stuff.

bigkenny

The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel. DW gives it a 4 of 5 stars. It was really good.

Saw it.

Enjoyed it.

My wife and I were the youngest in the theatre, and we're 53.

xor

Is there anything that makes this Spider Man more amazing than the very similar movie from 2002?  The Lizard just looks like crappy Godzilla and I already KNOW Spider Man's origin.

Anyone go see it?

Anyone going to admit to seeing Magic Mike?

(Me?  I ran a 50k over a mountain and back.  Rattlesnake Mountain.  Looming above Rattlesnake Lake.  Along Rattlesnake Ridge.  You know what there are NOT?  Snakes.)