The secret to running fast (Read 2999 times)

JimR

Exactly (thud!), I (thud!) wish (thud!) I (thud!) knew (thud!).  There (thud!) are (thud!) differences (thud!).  There (thud!) are (thud!) differences (thud!) in (thud!) transcription (thud!) rates (thud!) of (thud!) different (thud!) genes (thud!) in (thud!) different (thud!) people (thud!).  WE (THUD!) ARE (THUD!) NOT (THUD!) CLONES (THUD!) NOR (THUD!) IDENTICAL (THUD!) TWINS (THUD!).  But (thud!) it (thud!) would (thud!) be (thud!) cool (thud!) if (thud!) we (thud!) were (thud!), because (thud!) then (thud!) we (thud!) could (thud!) really (thud!) figure (thud!) out (thud!) the (thud!) best (thud!) way (thud!) to (thud!) train (thud!), and (thud!) stop (thud!) beating (thud!) THAT (THUD!) dead (thud!) horse (thud!).

(thud!)

stupid (thud!) horse (thud!)......

Giant Flaming Dork

What number of mitochondria will your genetics allow you to make?

Oddly, mitochondria only replicate via binary fission - so your genetics have nothing to do with mitochondria.  You get your mitochondria from your mother.

From the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia!

An individual's mitochondrial genes are not inherited by the same mechanism as nuclear genes. At fertilization of an egg cell by a sperm, the egg nucleus and sperm nucleus each contribute equally to the genetic makeup of the zygote nucleus. In contrast, the mitochondria, and therefore the mitochondrial DNA, usually comes from the egg only. The sperm's mitochondria enter the egg but do not contribute genetic information to the embryo.[64] Instead, paternal mitochondria are marked with ubiquitin to select them for later destruction inside the embryo.[65] The egg cell contains relatively few mitochondria, but it is these mitochondria that survive and divide to populate the cells of the adult organism. Mitochondria are, therefore, in most cases inherited down the female line, known as maternal inheritance. This mode is seen in most organisms including all animals.

http://xkcd.com/621/

Feeling the growl again

Oddly, mitochondria only replicate via binary fission - so your genetics have nothing to do with mitochondria.  You get your mitochondria from your mother.

From the font of all knowledge, Wikipedia!

An individual's mitochondrial genes are not inherited by the same mechanism as nuclear genes. At fertilization of an egg cell by a sperm, the egg nucleus and sperm nucleus each contribute equally to the genetic makeup of the zygote nucleus. In contrast, the mitochondria, and therefore the mitochondrial DNA, usually comes from the egg only. The sperm's mitochondria enter the egg but do not contribute genetic information to the embryo.[64] Instead, paternal mitochondria are marked with ubiquitin to select them for later destruction inside the embryo.[65] The egg cell contains relatively few mitochondria, but it is these mitochondria that survive and divide to populate the cells of the adult organism. Mitochondria are, therefore, in most cases inherited down the female line, known as maternal inheritance. This mode is seen in most organisms including all animals.

Not quite.  Yes, you get your actual mitochondria, including mitochondrial DNA, from your mother.  However, the majority of proteins in your mitochondria are encoded in the nucleus, made in the cytoplasm, and THEN transported into the nucleus.  Therefore, most of the machinery inside the mitochondria is contributed by both mother and father.

As for the actual number you can have, I have never seen anywhere described how or whether this is genetically controlled.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

All I know is that whatever the secret is, it must be something unseen and inscrutable with a complicated and preferably scientific-sounding name. That's what I want from my secrets.

Feeling the growl again

genetics - don't you think it can control number of mitochondria you will make, oxygen transport in lungs, other microscopic changes that would increase your aerobic capacity?  It certainly controls not so meaningless things like how much cholesterol you are likely have in your body putting the same people on the same diet.

Of course.  You don't have a public log but I'll bet a beer you are not doing the training required to approach close enough to your genetic limit to tell where it is; therefore, arguing genetics is a moot point because that is not your limitation.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

MrH

All I know is that whatever the secret is, it must be something unseen and inscrutable with a complicated and preferably scientific-sounding name. That's what I want from my secrets.

Laugh it up philosopher boy. Just focus your energy on growing your Nietzschean mustache. 

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Why is it sideways?

Laugh it up philosopher boy. Just focus your energy on growing your Nietzschean mustache. 

I'm doing my best. Excellent spelling, by the way.

Lane

Reindeer Milk

MrH

Reindeer Milk

They had superior genetics, and racing finns.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Actually, we couldn't. Not even then. Because we all have different jobs. Different lives. Different family cultures. We read different books. We eat different things. We love different people, admire different things. Some of us sprain our ankles or get in car wrecks. Mudslides hit our houses. These things bear much more weight on how fast we run than genetics.

Your genetic determinism only shows a misunderstanding of the way in which genetics--and really life itself--works.

Actually I disagree.  Even if you have a crappy job and your wife leaves you, genetics will win out over those life influences.  Breaking an ankle, that is totally different.

Aren't there twin HS runners, female, that run about one second apart in their times?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Why is it sideways?

Aren't there twin HS runners, female, that run about one second apart in their times?

Proof! You win.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Proof! You win.

Goody!  What's my prize?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Why is it sideways?

Goody!  What's my prize?

Undying internet glory, of course.

(But I'm still faster than you.)

she runs like a girl

But that's not genetics if they grew up in the same environment.

Let's rip them away from their homes and study them in separate environments like lab rats.

2010 goals: PR at distances from 3k-HM 3k: 02/02/10 - 12:00 - road 5k :03/13/10 - 20:32 - road 10mile: 04/02/10 - 1:15:49 "The only thing I hate more than running is not running"