Did racing flats improve your time? (Read 1333 times)

Burninated Peasant

I'm too cheap to buy flats.
    evtish

Thanks. I'm going to get some and try it out. From what I've seen, the flats seem to be less $$ than the training shoes, especially last years colors. Maybe I can get some of them flourescent orange ones Big grin
        Cool They make you look fast? .
        no No NO!! They make me think I look faster. Herein lies the critical Racing Flat Enigma. And gosh darn it all. Based on that 180 equation thingy, I could have gotten my BQ three years ago if I'd only cut off four ounces of my hair right before the race.

Burninated Peasant

Based on that 180 equation thingy, I could have gotten my BQ three years ago if I'd only cut off four ounces of my hair right before the race.
          You clearly haven't been exposed to the benefits of Chia running
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The weight difference between trainers and flats is usually less than the amount a person's weight changes over the course of a day. Don't believe me? Just weight yourself when you wake up and when you go to bed. On a given day, you can easily gain 2-4 pounds, mostly fluid. You breathe it away (or pee it away if you are old like Scout) at night.
            Scout7

...old like Scout..t.
              That makes you Methuselah, since I'm 31.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

The weight difference between trainers and flats is usually less than the amount a person's weight changes over the course of a day.
                Racing flats are almost purely a psychological boost, IMO. When you put 'em on, it's a signal to your mind and body that it's Go Time. You look and feel faster with them on. It's a placebo effect. Of course, knowing all of this, I still prefer to race with 'em. Track spikes, on the other hand, are supposed to make a difference due to improved traction (less mircro-slippage per step). And certainly, cross-country spikes make a big difference.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

The Floor Walker

I'd like to hear about your experience using flats for racing and how much you improved your time. Also, any recommendations for particular brands/models of flats. Smile Thanks, Tom
                  Tom, I've been training in flats for about three years now. I started off with the old Asics Tiger Paws then moved down to Nike Forevers and then the H-Streets. I'm currently training in Addidas Cubatos but will likely start using the AdiZero PRs since all the other shoes I use are no longer being made. So here's the thing, I can't say that training in flats have improved my times directly, as I'm a believer in simply doing a lot of training for time improvement and not attributing that to much other than hard work and dedication. The benefits that I believe I get from training in flats is that of a more natural stride and better efficiency. Also, because of this efficiency I don't get injured as much. In all the years that I've worn regular trainers I've always had constant problems with PF, shin splints, ITBS, and knee problems. After making a gradual slow transition to flats, all of these problems started to go away. My lower calf muscles are a lot stronger and seem to recover quicker from harder runs. My foot strike has changed from that of heel striking to forefoot striking. My stride is much smoother and despite wearing less cushioning seems to have less of a landing shock than before. As for improvements, I can't really differentiate what time improvements were attributed to my flats and what was attributed to my training, it's hard to say. I do believe that it lessens your chances for injury though (once fully adapted of course). This is just my experience since switching over, hopefully it gives you some insight to the minimalism philosophy. Matt
                    The weight difference between trainers and flats is usually less than the amount a person's weight changes over the course of a day. Don't believe me? Just weight yourself when you wake up and when you go to bed. On a given day, you can easily gain 2-4 pounds, mostly fluid. You breathe it away (or pee it away if you are old like Scout) at night.
                    Yeah, but that weight is distributed throughout your body, it's not all in your feet. The more weight you put on the end of a stick, the harder it is to swing it back and forth. My old nike vomeros were 12 oz each, my adidas adizero pr's are about 4 oz each. That's a half a pound difference on each foot. Just sayin! Big grin
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

True about the stick, but remember these two things: 1) shoe weight is very close to the engines (the legs) so the pendulum effect is fairly low, and 2) each foot strike carries the additional body weight whereas each foot strike only carries the weight of the shoe on that side. Wink
                        Racing flats matter, I don't think there's much doubt about that. Just how much I don't really know, but even if it was only 1-2 sec per mile it would be well worth it to me. I always wear them for races, and for a high pct of training runs...even long ones or slow maintenance runs. The rest of the time I wear lightweight trainers. Running in shoes that weigh 12 oz or more would psyche me out.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        mikeymike

To me flats are worth maybe 2-4 secs per mile in a race. But my trainers are pretty light anyway. I go through period where I do most of my training in flats--I think this helps with form and makes my feet stronger and actually reduces injuries. But in the winter I wear traininer almost exclusively. I dunno the ground feels harder and I can never see what I'm stepping on.

Runners run

LTD

Not sure about flats improving time.... but I raced in a 5K today, and a few runners wearing flats sounded like Ronald McDanold running on the pavement behind me. Flap...Flap.....Flap!!!!! Geez Terry
                            LTD

McDonald
                              Mr R

I train and race in Adizeros and NB RC 750s. I don't think that the weight makes them faster; I think they're faster because their shape and structure allows for better form. You're less likely to heel-strike in flats and your stride rate is generally higher.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker