Twinge in knee first time (Read 59 times)

Apple1

For the first time today I felt a twinge or dull ache in my right knee when running. It was at the bottim outisde on the right. It wasn't a sharp pain at all more like a little twinge. I have been focusing on running slower the past two runs. I was going to run 60 min today but ended up stopping at about 38 because I didn't want to risk my knee and it was so humid 100%.

I can feel the dull ache but it isn't bad at all and I don't see any swelling either. Is this just a normal soreness from running more? I added an extra day of running last week up to 5 days from 4? Should I ice the knee today?

I am having a harder time running slow. Although I can run longer, it doesn't feel natural. It feels like my stride is wrong and too short. I am wondering if this is what caused the knee ache.

Thanks.

ud32

Sounds like IT band issue to me. I find relief when that happens by foam rolling and icing. Hip exercise seem to prevent it from becoming a recurring injury.

reggie888

I would consider changing shoes and running fewer days... maybe every other day or something.

Apple1

Thank you for answering and giving me your input. I iced the knee and have run less time this week while still running 5 days. I have started doing some core and hip strengthening exercises on my 2 rest days and I have purchased a foam roller.

The knee feels better this week. I wore a compression sleeve for 8 hours while at work and did the ice in the evenings for a couple of days and that seems to have helped a lot.