What's your leg speed? (Read 798 times)

mikeymike

The important thing, when running races that use chip timing, is to make sure you put your chip on the shoe of the foot attached to your faster leg.

Runners run

Frank4

The important thing, when running races that use chip timing, is to make sure you put your chip on the shoe of the foot attached to your faster leg.
      I've tried this...it really pisses of the slow leg. It's even tried to trip the fast leg on occasion...jealousy can get ugly.

Old, Slow, Happy

I'm so old I lose track of the count after 100, so I have no idea of my cadence. Also, I don't have anything fast anymore. Both of my legs are the "slow one".
          We are supposed to be aiming for 180 steps per min. Are you anywhere near this?
          I'm about 170-180, trail conditions permitting for normal runs. Probably slower on steep uphills, soft snow. Faster on short, quick stuff. Consider the 180 steps/min as a fuzzy number. Some folks are naturally faster, some are naturally slower - and it depends on speed. I think it's been shown that for slower paces (say, > 7 min/mi, but I'd have to find the article to double check), increased speed comes from stride length. Beyond that (< 7 min/mi, and that was for trained, young runners), increased speed comes from increased frequency or cadence. i think sprinters will be going well over 200 steps/min when racing. (there's 2 studies in my mind. i think the one with the slower runners and stride length may have been about 7 min/mi - and might be general - while the one with the trained faster runners on sprint distances might have had the breakpoint at 70% vo2max or 70% vvo2max or something along those lines. the latter was a finnish study; the earlier was a graph in martin and coe, iirc.) however, many beginning runners (like myself) may be overstriding and taking leaps into the air, resulting in lost time and significant impact on landing. working toward a quicker cadence for some of those (like myself) can help reduce impact and improve speed. but that may not be true for everyone. faster times generally come from reduced contact with ground. whatever you can do to reduce that time helps. slower cadences frequently have more ground contact time. 7="" min/mi,="" and="" that="" was="" for="" trained,="" young="" runners),="" increased="" speed="" comes="" from="" increased="" frequency="" or="" cadence.="" i="" think="" sprinters="" will="" be="" going="" well="" over="" 200="" steps/min="" when="" racing.="" (there's="" 2="" studies="" in="" my="" mind.="" i="" think="" the="" one="" with="" the="" slower="" runners="" and="" stride="" length="" may="" have="" been="" about="" 7="" min/mi="" -="" and="" might="" be="" general="" -="" while="" the="" one="" with="" the="" trained="" faster="" runners="" on="" sprint="" distances="" might="" have="" had="" the="" breakpoint="" at="" 70%="" vo2max="" or="" 70%="" vvo2max="" or="" something="" along="" those="" lines.="" the="" latter="" was="" a="" finnish="" study;="" the="" earlier="" was="" a="" graph="" in="" martin="" and="" coe,="" iirc.)="" however,="" many="" beginning="" runners="" (like="" myself)="" may="" be="" overstriding="" and="" taking="" leaps="" into="" the="" air,="" resulting="" in="" lost="" time="" and="" significant="" impact="" on="" landing.="" working="" toward="" a="" quicker="" cadence="" for="" some="" of="" those="" (like="" myself)="" can="" help="" reduce="" impact="" and="" improve="" speed.="" but="" that="" may="" not="" be="" true="" for="" everyone.="" faster="" times="" generally="" come="" from="" reduced="" contact="" with="" ground.="" whatever="" you="" can="" do="" to="" reduce="" that="" time="" helps.="" slower="" cadences="" frequently="" have="" more="" ground="" contact=""></ 7 min/mi, and that was for trained, young runners), increased speed comes from increased frequency or cadence. i think sprinters will be going well over 200 steps/min when racing. (there's 2 studies in my mind. i think the one with the slower runners and stride length may have been about 7 min/mi - and might be general - while the one with the trained faster runners on sprint distances might have had the breakpoint at 70% vo2max or 70% vvo2max or something along those lines. the latter was a finnish study; the earlier was a graph in martin and coe, iirc.) however, many beginning runners (like myself) may be overstriding and taking leaps into the air, resulting in lost time and significant impact on landing. working toward a quicker cadence for some of those (like myself) can help reduce impact and improve speed. but that may not be true for everyone. faster times generally come from reduced contact with ground. whatever you can do to reduce that time helps. slower cadences frequently have more ground contact time.>
          "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
            I'm so old I lose track of the count after 100, so I have no idea of my cadence.
            I have the same problem - so I count only right or left steps. That way I only have to count up to 85-90. I can still manage that, but only just Wink

Geoff

Old, Slow, Happy

Good idea!! I'll try it. Thanks!!!
                I also noticed the lighter on my feet I was, the less my achilles hurt. I developed what I call "stealth mode" where I try to run as silently as possible.
                This sometimes happens to me. I don't know how I do it. I don't know why it happens. Every now and then when I run, my feet don't make a sound. When these days crop up they are by far my best runs. Try as I might I can't repeat it and sometimes I can only run like that for part of the run. I wish I could have steathy steps all the time or at the very least I wish I knew how I did it, the few times I do.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius

I'm also 6'2 and, like you, my stride rate was well below 180 about a year to 18 months ago. I found that consciously trying to increase this to be very unnatural and possibly a recipe for injury so I didn't persist with this. However since then I've found my rate has gradually increased on its own as I've got faster. I'm pretty sure this is due to running hills and to concentrating on maintaining my leg speed at the end of 5k races. It may feel strange to try and increase your stride rate but if you concentrate on not increasing your stride length then your stride rate will increase on its own as your fitness increases. John
                  Goal: Age grade over 80% on a certified course.

Prince of Fatness

Heel striking, over striding, whatever you call it, is something I've been working on. I'm pretty sure that it has helped with my sore hamstrings. I find that a good place to work on this is on slight downhills. I focus on turnover and striking more on the mid foot. It might be all in my head, but I feel that I am running downhills faster with less effort this way. As for the original question, I have no idea what the number is but I know that it is greater than it was a year or so ago.

Not at it at all. 

Right on Hereford...

We are supposed to be aiming for 180 steps per min. Are you anywhere near this? I did a rough check this morning and was 160. Im 6ft 2" and struggled to do anything more without looking like a penguin. I can understand the theory behind this but is it always practical, particularly if you are tall?
                      180 for me. I'm 6'0". I used to run around 165-170, but then I made an effort to gradually increase my cadence. At first it felt like I was working harder, and later it felt easier.