Chest pains after a run. (Read 1013 times)

It does sound scary, but it could mean a lot of things. Breathe deeply and wait for everything to unfold before thinking too far ahead. In any case, it looks like you should be fine, even if you end up needing a little surgery. Dude--you can still run! That means it can't be THAT bad, right? Hang in there.
    Thanks. I need to stop looking at information on the internet. A little knowledge can be dangerous.
    "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
      Ed + Jeff, thanks for checking out the log and giving me your 2 cents. appreciated. An "Easy" one for me later (i keep getting bogged down with time - must be sub 8:30 miles). So later im leaving the watch at home and just run without the hang up of time. Chris, glad to hear you can still run - hang in there dude.
      Goals for 2008: 10k - Phoenix Park - 6 April 48:47 1/2 Marathon - Longford - 24 August Marathon - Dublin - 27 October. Its Man v Distance. Distance is in trouble.
      HoosierDaddy

GreyBeard

I don't want to hijack the thread but the topic came up in here re: high HR effects. My HR max is 192 (a little higher than the age calc). When I do speed workouts (not often) or races I will get up in the 90-95% range. Maxed at around 184 during my marathon last week (see training log) and average was in the 170s. Does running races or occasional practice at 90+% cause any long term damage or put you at additional risk. Confused BTW - I had sharp chest pains, went to doc, and he speculated it is was chest/intercostal muscle spasms from hard work/breathing. Got poked, prodded, and thoroughly tested without any indication there was a problem. So good chance, for you, it is nothing. But definitely get tested for your health and peace of mind.

• Black Canyon 100k
        • RRR
        • Zane Grey 100k
        • High Lonesome 100
        • Wyoming Range 100 (?)
        • The Bear 100
        • Javelina Jundred (?)
        Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Does running races or occasional practice at 90+% cause any long term damage or put you at additional risk. Confused
          I highly doubt it. But just from a practical standpoint, "occasional" is the key word. If you're trying to be competitive you will need to do some hard workouts, but they shouldn't happen every day.
          Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
          Ed4

Barefoot and happy

So later im leaving the watch at home and just run without the hang up of time.
            A very good idea. Everyone should leave their watches and gizmos home at least once in a while and just run for the fun of it.
            Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Camp Muir

Hey Everyone, Great discussion so far with good advice. Joe: you might ask your doctor to perscribe a stress test. I had very similar symptoms that developed after track interval workouts. I had a stress-echo test. That aleviated my fears and convinced me that the pain was probably muscle-skeletal. Still they found a problem. I have a "left bundle branch block" which means that there is break in the electrical path on the left side of my heart. My cardiologist explained that it wasn't significant in my case and was similar to "having grey hair". He approved me to run without limitations. I'm glad I had the baseline EKG and stress test. I tested 5 years younger than my age and I have a record of my EKG incase of future issues. Good Luck!
                I had the flutters starting about a year ago. Went to the cardiologist who did the stress test (they had to crank the treadmill up to 6 on the incline and crank the speed up to 8 m/m...heh, heh, heh.), ECG, ultrasound and said I was ok. BUT... He said it might be an issue with an allergy (as in alcohol... Shocked ! ) or stress. I still have the problem but I didn't quit drinking. I have now quit drinking and we'll see if that's the problem. Yeah, I know I'm stupid--that's already been determined by a variety of experts. Wink TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff