Garmin says 'new record' but it's not! (Read 88 times)

maplemountain

Hill Fiend

Has anyone else had this problem? My Garmin told me today and a few days ago that I had set a new mile record. The thing is, I was just doing a slow, easy, jog. My best mile is 3 min or more faster. I hurt my hamstring in February, and took 6 weeks off (miserable!), so I'm just easy jogging now. Is that the problem? Does Garmin decide that your records are no longer valid after a month+ of no running? I've tried reading their support page, and of course I've Googled it, but there are no helpful answers out there. All I could find were people with the opposite problem. They had run a new record but Garmin didn't acknowledge it.

If this is because I took a break from running, how long does Garmin think your PBs are good for?

Any input appreciated.

Thanks and be safe everybody!

• Find a mountain
    • Run up it
    • Enjoy the view
    runnin gal

I had similar problem about a year ago.  After nearly every run I would get some kind of false new record showing.  I felt like I was getting a participation trophy.  I did talk to someone at Garmin about it,  he thought it might be a lack of data from previous Garmin ( when actual records were being set) not being carried over to newer Garmin.  Altho my "new" Garmin was over a yr old by then and prob had just started.  He did something to sync data and the prob lessened but persisted for a while, then stopped.  However in the past couple wks I notice I've been getting new (false) distance records.  They're not showing up in the personal records in my RA log, so I just disregard them.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Did you have any weird GPS glitches during your run? I've had runs where I lose GPS signal for a bit & then when it comes back, it thinks I ran farther than I did.

mikeymike

I've seen this a bunch of times over the years. I always assumed it was due to a software update that wiped out my history on the device. I never paid much attention to it. Most of my real PRs pre-date my running with a garmin anyway.

Runners run

Yeah, mine does that every once in a while. Never really considered it a problem, though, so I've never bothered trying to investigate.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

I just did a software update and my Garmin is calculating all new PRs too.  But I hadn't done an update in forever before doing one last week so I think it remembers for a long time.

I've seen this a bunch of times over the years. I always assumed it was due to a software update that wiped out my history on the device. I never paid much attention to it. Most of my real PRs pre-date my running with a garmin anyway.

maplemountain

Hill Fiend

Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it.

I will try the old, turn it off and turn it back on. I know it's not a 'real' problem in the world today, but it was something that started bugging me, so I figured I'd see if anyone knew what's up.

I did have a weird glitch recently, when the watch would not let me be done with a run. A full day later, it still didn't give me the screen prompting "Resume" or "Done". So it wouldn't transfer data either. The next day it finally let me declare that run complete and save the data. Then it transferred the data fine.

Weird glitches happen all the time, right? At least I'm able to get outside a bit and move around. I was going crazy when I had to rest my hamstring.

Now I have to start setting new, better records, right?

Thanks again, guys!

• Find a mountain
                • Run up it
                • Enjoy the view