Which running books would you recommend? (Read 1581 times)

dubczech

I've only read a couple books on running, and none geared towards training, but the book that I found the most entertaining & insightful to the spirit of running is Dean Karnazes "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner" I picked this book up at a Barnes & Noble on my lunch break, then spent the rest of the day reading it at my desk (Good thing my boss was gone that day). That afternoon I went and picked up my first pair of running shoes and haven't stopped since (it's only been 4 weeks...but hey).

My Hero

I am a new runner, and only recently completed the couch to 5K. I am looking for more info on the sport and was wondering if you could recommend some books that you found helpful. Thanks
      "Slow Burn" by Stu Mittleman Stu set eight long-distance records, including the world record ( as of 2000) for the 1,000 mile.

Flat footer

I was at this little strip discount mall when I was visiting home earlier this summer and there was a table full of books and what else was sitting there other than 2 copies of Jeff Galloway's Book on Running for a mere $1 each! You KNOW I picked up one copy for myself and one copy for my friend who is training for the Lowell M. It was the best $2 I ever spent and I highly recommend the book! It was printed I think before I was born in the 80's but it's not like the information he provides can get outdated. The pictures, maybe, but the info, no. I love it, it has a little of everything and it was a perfect springboard into running for me. I googled it a while back and apparently there is another 2nd edtion out, but it is not different than the first, so either one will do. I picked up Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running, and not to offend anyone because I'm no hal Higdon, but it seemed like a book for people who have never gotten up off the couch before. It was painful to even try to read it, I felt like I was being coached into getting my butt out the door. I mean, if that's what some people need, then I guess this book is for them, but if you're already a runner doing at least 3 or 4 miles easy than I would say skip this one. Go figure the 20+ year old $1 book beats the brand new $20 one....I love life's little ironies. GALLOWAY'S BOOK ON RUNNING: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. RUNNER'S WORLD COMPLETE BOOK ON BEGINNING RUNNING: NOT SO MUCH. Good luck, Happy reading and Happy running!!!

2012: Just run.

xor

Oddly enough, I would TOTALLY put Uncle Jeff's book into that same "very beginner, get you out the door" category. Ah well, people like different things. That's why there are so many books, and more all the time. The training books I go back and re-read from time to time: + Glover's Runner's Handbook. + Glover's Competitive Runner's Handbook. Great even if you aren't trying to "win". + Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning. + Daniels, BUT this is not bedtime reading. As for not-training books, I liked Kenny Moore's Bowerman book A LOT. Running with Buffaloes is ok. Dean K's stuff pisses me off, but that's just me. Some people love it, and that's fine too. For nutrition, Nancy Clark's books.

John L. Parker is a great writer. The book, "Once a Runner," is a classic. His training book, "Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot," helped me a lot.
                Oddly enough, I would TOTALLY put Uncle Jeff's book into that same "very beginner, get you out the door" category. Ah well, people like different things. That's why there are so many books, and more all the time.
                Well, now that I think about it, maybe it is in that category but I didn't mind reading it when I did because it was the first running book I picked up. Once I got the Runner's World book, I had already read Galloway from cover to cover. It is quite possible that I got all the "get out the door" messages from Jeff and felt the Runner's World book was redundant at the point. Good call!

2012: Just run.

jules2

Feet in the clouds ( a tale of fell running and obsession ) by Richard Askwith, his first ever book, It was judged the second best sports book in the UK in 2006 when it was released. Read it and enter another world! I've just ordered "What I talk about when I talk about running" by Haruki Murakami as my holiday read.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I've only read a couple books on running, and none geared towards training, but the book that I found the most entertaining & insightful to the spirit of running is Dean Karnazes "Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All Night Runner" I picked this book up at a Barnes & Noble on my lunch break, then spent the rest of the day reading it at my desk (Good thing my boss was gone that day). That afternoon I went and picked up my first pair of running shoes and haven't stopped since (it's only been 4 weeks...but hey).
                    I enjoyed this book also

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

zzz

My Life on the Run ~ Bart Yasso~ great book!!!
                          Go figure the 20+ year old $1 book beats the brand new $20 one....I love life's little ironies.
                          Its funny you say this.....as an older runner - NOT OFFENDED - but running hasnt changed - just more people are discovering it.......You have lots of options for books......and I have read a number of them...all are good and if you are getting into it, then you should read some books....it really gets you psyched.... Wink

Champions are made when no one is watching

De-slacking in progress

I went ahead and just purchased 2 books. "The Runner's Handbook : The Bestselling Classic Fitness Guide for Beginning and Intermediate Runners (2nd rev Edition)" Bob Glover; Paperback; $12.21 Sold by: Amazon.com, LLC "Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running: The Best Advice to Get Started, Stay Motivated, Lose Weight, Run Injury-Free, Be Safe, and Train for Any Distance (Runner's World Complete Books)" Dagny Scott Barrios; Paperback; $11.53 Bought the womens one for my wife who is still working on her C25K (yah !) Big grin and will reach the 5K distance next week. I didn't know if the women version would be more benefical for her so i just bought it.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14