New to running, weekly miles and burnout questions. (Read 173 times)

robin from maine

One thing that I read on RA some time ago, is that many runners run 20-30 minutes before they feel warmed-up, not to be confused with "warm". That insight was very helpful to me, and I remind myself on the first quarter mile of a ten mile run that the last quarter mile won't feel harder and may feel easier, and helps me to keep going as I begin the run. I also give myself permission to start out slowly. When I race, I do a slow 2 1/2 mile warm-up first, or 1 mile if it's a half marathon.

Gizmo2019

I am also new to running and i am also a treadmiller. most of my weekday runs are on the treadmill. when i first started out last year, it was to run a marathon and to run it FAST. my new short term goal is an upcoming 10K. training for a race is no joke esply if you have a goal other than crossing the finish line.

but it does motivate me and like others have said, when you follow a race plan, you look forward to (or not) the variety of runs placed in the plan (mon=easy run, tuesday=tempo run, wed=hills, etc).

in the beginning, i set a goal to beat a 30min 5K. after that, i was lost. variety is key for me. i LOVE running my once a week outdoor long run. i get up at the crack of dawn once a week to do it. but i cant do that forever (unless im training for a race). give yourself breaks, change your music up. dont do the same thing everyday. thats what burned me out. your history sounds exactly like mine. I was doing the same thing everyday, getting faster, running 6 days a week and doing well but burned out and would be pissed at having to try and run again. then the improvements stopped and i had to reevaluate what exactly i was trying to accomplish. I learned, that once i lost the extra weight, and created a foundation from there, the progress gets slower and you have to be smarter/slower about gaining fitness. kind of like trying to lose the last 5 lbs. i actually feel like running 5 days a week (what i do now) actually makes me a "better" runner than when i was doing 6 days a week. those recovery days are super helpful.

Also what helped me is having a log (you can use this website's log too) to actually watch the improvement. its so fun to look at and analyze your abilities!

good luck from one newbie to another!

When I first started running, I thought that my progress was not evident, mebbe I wasn't cut out to run. I was running every 2 days, mixing up my distances from short to intermediate distances just to allow for variety. I wasn't enjoying every run. I sustained injuries, but persevered. Joining a running group changed my outlook. Instead of being in my own head and listening to tunes, I was running with a bunch of like-minded individuals over distances from 9 -20 miles on Sunday mornings discussing things, enjoying a little camaraderie. I  looked forward to the Sunday runs. By then I was running 40 or more miles a week. Winters, I spent running in a gym on a treadmill working speed drills, incline runs and bio-mechanics. Mixing it up relieves boredom. Today, fifteen years later I run because I love to run, even if I have to run solo for another year til things get sorted out. I run much less than I used to, mebbe only 30 miles per week, but I get pumped up getting ready for my run, be it a morning, an afternoon or an evening run. I always come back refreshed, happy to be doing it. I do it to clear my head and keep my sanity specially in these difficult times. Don't be discouraged, running is like an ongoing continuum, there will be ups and downs but you will continue to progress and I think it is worthwhile in the long run... Wink