Garmin 305 no longer playing nice with computers (Windows) (Read 935 times)

AnneCA

I doubt there's any one particular solution to this, but I'd love some ideas of things to try.

I typically use my Windows XP laptop to upload runs from my 305.  That laptop also has the Garmin Training Center program on it, but I could live without that.  A couple of months ago, I started having problems with Firefox detecting the Garmin on the RA page (at times when GTC would detect it, so: not a hardware connection problem).  Usually a reboot (or two . . . .) would solve it, but it got to where I'd have to do that every single time, and, seriously, that's a nuisance.  So I started trying to uninstall and reinstall things (the USB driver, the communicator plug-in, and I got rid of GTC).  Now I've just made it worse and it doesn't seem to find the Garmin any more at all.  Or it will find it one time, but then lose it until I uninstall/reinstall the driver *and* communicator.  

Okay, try the desktop, which is Windows 7.  Bit of a nuisance because I don't want the cable there, and I usually use Chrome on that computer, and Garmin doesn't have a plug-in for Chrome, but, okay.  Downloaded and installed the current driver and Firefox communicator, and it all worked.  One time.  Now, plugging in the Garmin gives me the fabulous blue screen of death.  Googling around, I seem not to be the only person getting a BSOD with a 305 and Windows7.

What would you try next?  Anyone have luck with Garmin customer service, and, if so, what's the better way to contact them (phone, e-mail, ?)?  

Thank you for any help!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I use Chrome on a windows 7 Laptop and have no problems uploading my Garmin 301 to RA, generally after I let GTC finish its upload. You might want to re-install with latest drivers and see if that gets it working. For what its worth I've had fewer problems with W-7 than with XP in uploading Garmin data.

bob e v
        2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

AnneCA

Well, I reloaded the software on the unit itself, and now things seem to be working okay on the XP, which is where I want them to work.  Thanks for the link, AP, I had found another newer thread on that forum discussing the BSOD, but that one didn't discuss the issue of not loading the Garmin drivers.  I  may try to get that computer working with the Garmin again so that I have a second option.  Good to hear you've got it working well, Bob.