What weekly mileage do you need in order to feel good? (Read 247 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For me it's more about hours logged.  I run and bike…if I drop much below 7-8 hours/week I start to twitch.  My peak workout time/week generally is 11-12 hours/week in the middle of Summer.  I'd say 10 hours/week is about my ideal.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LRB

For 5 and 10k training 40 - 50 running 6 days a week.

Baboon

delicate flower

50 is sort of my new baseline and I just like seeing a bunch of 50+ mile weeks in my log.  I start getting antsy when my mileage dips below 50.  I'm slowly ramping up for a run at a May marathon, so I've been in the 55-60 range lately, and I'll be looking to string together some 70's during my training cycle.

<3

ultramarathon/triathlete

40-50 for me to feel "not lazy," but to feel strong I need 70ish (which is what I've been getting in Sept/Oct/Nov).

And as someone else mentioned, that mileage makes me constantly tired, and I tend to feel a bit worn down, not quite sore but almost achy.  It sucks.

I've done stretches of 100 mile weeks and I just start to fall apart then.  It's good to shed 5 lbs but it gives me frequent headaches and kills the rest of my day with exhaustion.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
          Gatorade Endurance Team

spinach

I seem to be a bit different, but I really don't need a certain number of miles each week to feel "good" or feel "strong" I will occasionally take several weeks more or less off with perhaps one or two five mile runs per week.  I really don't feel different those weeks than i do during weeks when I am doing 50 or 60 miles or more, except perhaps i am not quite as tired.  I suppose if I took off a longer stretch of a month or more I may begin to feel antsy or something but I don't feel that way after only a couple real easy weeks.

xhristopher

Running 2000 miles a year is just 38.5 miles per week. I've never not felt good with that. Depending on how that weekly mileage is run I'll feel either lazy, good, or beat down.

Latent Runner

Running 2000 miles a year is just 38.5 miles per week. I've never not felt good with that. Depending on how that weekly mileage is run I'll feel either lazy, good, or beat down.

Funny how things can change.

In April I attempted to restart a sputtering running program and managed just over 38.5 miles (I logged 40) for the entire month; and as I remember it, I felt pretty crappy the whole time.

In May I ran 54 miles and, once again, I felt pretty crappy.

Fast forward to this weekend; I ran 36 miles between last Friday evening and yesterday (Sunday) afternoon and not only do I feel great, I barely felt the distance.  Go figure.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                npaden

I don't really understand what you mean by "in order to feel good".

In some ways I felt super good about hitting my peak mileage this year of 70 miles in a week, in other ways I felt very tired and worn down when I hit that many miles in a week.

I'm shooting for 2,000 miles this year, but I've been all over the place in weekly mileage.  I think some weeks I'm proud of myself for fitting in 25 miles during a very hectic week.  Other times, I might feel like a slacker for only getting in 40 miles that week.

As far as my body feeling worn down or tired, that also fluctuates quite a bit.  Sometimes I feel great after a 40 or 50 mile week, other times I've felt worn down after a 25 mile week.  I do get that itchy feeling in my legs when I go much under 20 miles a week.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

mikeymike

I need about 8 hours of sleep a night to feel really good.

To race anywhere close to PR level, I need several weeks of 70+ miles with targeted workouts, after at least 1000 miles heavy on hills and tempos in the proceeding 4 months.

Runners run

xhristopher

The mileage I would need to run in order to race good most likely won't leave me feeling as good would lower mileage. Of course racing good feels good. Is this a trick question?

The mileage I would need to run in order to race good most likely won't leave me feeling as good would lower mileage. Of course racing good feels good. Is this a trick question?

How many miles would a good run run if a good race could run good?

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes