Your favorite way to eat couscous? (Read 593 times)

I'm just getting into eating it--I have been buying the whole wheat kind. I really like to cook it, then saute it in a little olive oil with red beans. Then I add chopped tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. I definitely need more ideas.
      I love couscous! I eat curry couscous often (the Far East boxed version is quite good), and add ground turkey and a bag of mixed vegetables. Really easy and delicious!
      xor

Couscous goose! (I've never actually had this. But it was once one of the sight gags on the little menu chalkboard behind the cafeteria line in south park) For real: I've never really tried to make couscous the main attraction. It generally sits under or next to other stuff.

Run the race God set B4U

It's really good cooked in chicken broth too Smile
          5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)

Best Present Ever

My first husband was Algerian (I guess he still is, t hough a US citizen now) and I lived there for a while, so anything other than couscous steamed three times served with a brothy stew of chicken and/or lamb with specific vegetables and chickpeas seems just plain strange to me, though when other people make non 'official' couscous based dishes, they always taste good. In the useless skills category, I can roll couscous by hand from a 50 kilo sack of semolina. Smile MTA: http://www.couscouscatering.com/aboutcouscous.html a link to a photo of 'real' couscous and its description - after I hit send I remembered my ex owns (with his second wife) a restaurant in DC called Couscous Cafe and that said restaurant has the above information on its website.
              I boil veggie broth with a smidge of olive oil, some cinnamon, tarragon, pepper, and salt. Add some spinach, (fresh or frozen) and raisins and bring the water back to a boil. Remove from heat, add the couscous, cover and let sit for 5 mins. Add a can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained), cover again and let sit for 2 minutes. Fluff and eat.
              Jenny

A Saucy Wench

I usually use whole wheat couscous as a side dish...for me its the "oh crap dinner is ready and I forgot to make a starch" I usually just cook it in chicken broth and then put a little butter on it, but sometimes I'll stir in cheese or onions&shrooms or whatever. Anything that you would add to rice or potatoes works.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

cooked in chicken broth, then add in chopped sundried tomatoes, and thinly sliced basil, parmesan cheese. Smile

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Sort of spicy ( garlic & cumin ) and with plain with yogurt on top. Actually, any whole grain, rice too tastes so much better with a little yogurt on top. Yes, I'm a quarter Lebanese. And, by the way, my trip to Detroit last week really hit the spot! Lots of Kibbeh (baked and raw) grape leave, real hummus, syrian bread ( not that thick nasty "pita" bread out here ) God I miss good food!

- Anya

Lots of good ideas here--thanks!
                        We like do add chopped up dried fruit to regular Near East couscous. Yum. i've also done dried cranberries and sliced almonds. Double yum.
                        2009 Goals:
                        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                        Run a 10K
                        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                        Complete my first Sprint Tri
                        pitrunner

I boil veggie broth with a smidge of olive oil, some cinnamon, tarragon, pepper, and salt. Add some spinach, (fresh or frozen) and raisins and bring the water back to a boil. Remove from heat, add the couscous, cover and let sit for 5 mins. Add a can of chickpeas (rinsed and drained), cover again and let sit for 2 minutes. Fluff and eat.
                          This sounds fantastic!