Any tips for stretching? (Read 617 times)

george nesrallah

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has any good resources on learning to stretch? My flexibility is quite poor. I have extremely limited range of motion. I know nothing about stretching and would love to start it properly and progress efficiently. As one trainer at the gym said: I ' am as stiff as a board' and am probably the most inflexible person she has ever seen. Another one was watching me run on the treadmill and mentioned I am working twice as hard to move simply because of lack of flexibility (not sure if he is right or not) , which he could notice just from my running.

Thanks very much everyone.

Good question to ask.  Stretching is very important and something that I often neglect - and end up paying for it.  The problem I have with stretching is that if you do it right, it prevents problems so you never know whether it is doing any good. 

There are tons of place on the internet if you google running stretches.  Here is some of the information I have gathered:

- stretch warm, not cold.  Cold stretching causes micro-tears

- don't stretch so that it hurts, just gentle - might be sore but shouldn't make you wince

- stretching is preventative

- yoga is really good for flexibility

- spend an amount of time equal to 10% of the running time stretching after.  One hour of running needs 6 minutes of stretching

- hold stretches for 15 - 60 seconds

Some people never have to stretch.  I'm not one of them. I"m sure some more people will chime in but I really recommend the yoga for flexibility.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

chrimbler

I don't stretch, I found it was causing more injuries than helping, but, I would think that it's not a flexibility problem (you don't need much for running ) I would say it's more that you probably just need to relax a little bit, or a lot!!

Try relaxing and having fun when you run, because unless you are trying to win the olympics thats all it should be....FUN

Run like you stole it!

RickyB

I have been running injury free for about three years. I only stretch after my long runs but Ido stretch before every run for about 5-10 min. I feel that it only takes about 2 min to get into my run if i stretch before! I strech my whole body arms,neck,shoulders,chest, legs,etc.  EVERYTHING! I feel that your less injury prone if you start running when your already loose.
          george nesrallah

Thanks for the information.  I guess I should have pointed out as well that I powerlift as well and I want more flexibility to help with lifts and such; however, for me running is the main goal. I think another tell tale sign of flexibility problems for me is that in the first 8-9 minutes of a run my hips hurt extremely bad however the pain eases off after that; I am assuming it is due to them finally being warmed up properly but I am not sure.

I found a site that looks pretty for stretching. The link is http://www.changingshape.com/exercise/flexibility/ . I am going to start it tonight. Not sure how good it is but it seems like it will at least give a base of sorts.

Thanks again.

xor

Stretching is a source of great debate. Some folks don't stretch at all. Many will stretch after. A few before. Never stretch cold muscles. As for this:
              Another one was watching me run on the treadmill and mentioned I am working twice as hard to move simply because of lack of flexibility (not sure if he is right or not)

This trainer (me) does not see any sense in what that trainer said. Perhaps she/he was being overly dramatic. Improving flexibility is fine thing, but it isn't going to make you work half as hard to run.

Run for Ur Life AHH!!!!

I've heard somewhere before, now correct me if Im wrong.  Stretching relaxes the muscles( strecthing in place that is).  So it is not recommended to stretch BEFORE a run but after a run.  Its believed that when your muscles relaxes your running game isnt up to par as it should be.  One good way to strecth Before a run are moving stretches.  Try walking and kicking your legs backwards(gently) till your ankle's near your butt that stretches the quads, for hamstrings walk and kick forward (gently) with your knees locked, you'll look like a  robot but its worth it. Then after a run is where you want to concentrate on your stretches in depth.  This is where you want your muscles to relax.  This is what I've been doing and its working.  Have Fun out there.
                  Here is more information about stretching than you've ever wanted, a great resource:

http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/docs/rec/stretching/

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

I used to be more of a stretcher.  Now over time the more I have run the less I stretch.

If I feel a tight spot/knot (usualy in calves) may give 1 - 2 quick /lite stretches to loosen a little but usually after a slow start the muscles lossen themselves better than any stretches I do / not do.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!