New to the site, looking for some help on creating a half marathon training plan (Read 280 times)

blewis0526

I am a 22 year old sub 18 5k runner looking to get into half marathons, however I am totally unversed in this department. Can anyone give me some training advice? Everytime I run I wanna go balls to the wall so my longer runs leave me prone to injury. If I increase my average weekly long/slow paced runs will that effect my overall speed?

Maggie & Molly

google Hal Higdon half training plans.  He has beginner/intermediate.  Good stuff

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I am a 22 year old sub 18 5k runner looking to get into half marathons, however I am totally unversed in this department. Can anyone give me some training advice? Everytime I run I wanna go balls to the wall so my longer runs leave me prone to injury. If I increase my average weekly long/slow paced runs will that effect my overall speed?

If you want good advice, you're probably gonna have to give a little more background. Making your log public would be a good place to start.

Absent that, we have no idea what your running looks like now - other than a single race time. How much/often/how are you running now? How long have you been running? Etc. More background = better answers.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        mikeymike

If I increase my average weekly long/slow paced runs will that effect my overall speed?

No, not as long as you keep some speed in your routine.

It does not take a lot of fast running to maintain your speed, and adding easy mileage will not slow you down. It will make you faster at 5k to half marathon, though. And as Kevin said, the more info you provide the better answers you will get.

Runners run