How long does it take you to get back in it from illness (Read 108 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

funny I’ve never seen that number (200 miles/mo) in any of the stuff I’ve read. Perhaps bc I only read for beginners.

It's usually presented in table form expressed in miles per week

Optimal Running Volume (for the marathon) - Taken from Brad Hudson's Run Faster From the 5K to the Marathon

Beginner 40-50 mpw

Low-key Competitive 50-60 mpw

Competitive 60-70 mpw

Highly Competitive 80-90 mpw

Elite 110-130 mpw

Note that is optimal, not minimum.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Just curious, why is it not good to focus on one race at a time? Wouldn’t the training for a marathon create its own “base miles?”

I think the comment was meant to not focus on a single race distance.  Racing at other distances from 5K to HM can benefit your marathon training. I think it also alluded to not focusing so much on the distance of your long run.

when you say base miles are you talking about aerobic capacity?

Base miles has a lot of definitions depending on whom you ask.  I generally use average weekly mileage over the last couple months.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Gizmo2019

Is this a Spam Joke Post??

Are you a total newb runner?

200 miles a month training should put you under 4hrs for a marathon at the very least I feel.

If this is a sincere post...

I'm curious how long you've been running at at what mileage/week?

it sounds to me that you're running too much and not recovering, perhaps your legs/body can handle it, but apparently not you're immune system.

it's very common for runners to overdo it and get a cold, etc...or when too low of bodyfat/other sports.

I'd find a quality training program and follow that...

to answer a few of your questions you stated...

Many train and run a marathon once, yes, true,

but countless other serious or real runners, run many,

good luck!

keep us posted!

No.

Yes. Total newbie. What gave it away? I thought I posted this in running 101. Should have prefaced it with: I’m stupid...but,...

ok I’ll tell u my story: I started running again after about 20 yrs. before that it was on and off. Mostly I was getting knocked up and popping out minions for 10 yrs. I was kinda fit but not where I wanted to be. I wanted to do a marathon 20 yrs ago then life took over. The thought came up again while trying to lose weight. I’d reach my goal and then what?

i needed more. Since end of aug 2018 I started slow. 1-2 miles a day. Then increased to 3miles about 4-5 times a week. My goal

was to complete 5k in 30 min. That took about 3 mos. then I worked on intervals, hills. Mostly on treadmill. Then finally outdoor runs. Started at 3 miles then to 7.36 miles. So wimpy I know.

The main reason I’m going super slow is bc I have a 3 yr old plus my other 3 kids that I raise on my own (while husband is at work).

im trying to balance run life and family life. Running is very selfish. Any sport is I guess. I slowly increased my-miles from 12-25 mpw.

every couple months after I feel like I’m plateauing I try to find time to run longer. I sacrifice sleep a lot for this. I can only be on the community treadmills for so long since my son is with me (30-45min)

i don’t want to send him to a babysitter. So on those days I work on intervals and speed. My family has been great With accommodating my runs.

i also realize I may not be able to be ready until the youngest is in school and I can tack on more miles. Which will push my marathon goal ANOTHER YEAR.

which is fine I GUESS.

I think something with my body/fat ratio does affect me. I have actually took one day off to help with recovery and now only run 5 days vs 6 days a week.

i did go too fast initially but now I repeat my same goal for 2 weeks , so for long runs: 7 miles for two weeks, then 8 miles for 2 weeks, etc. same with speed: 6.3 mph for 2 weeks etc. as long as I feel like I don’t need breaks and recover well, I’ll increase it a tiny notch after the 2nd week.

despite that, I feel like I d gotten sick so many times within a short period (3xs in 4 mos), that I suddenly can’t get a good rhythm going. & due those illnesses I’m set back, it takes 1-2 weeks to get back where I was which further sets my plan behind. Having said that, I am feeling better but I think I will do more to cover myself with supplements.

yes I’m aware serious/real runners run multiple marathons plus ultras etc, even many times a year. I’m just a nobody asking for running advice.

Gizmo2019

It's usually presented in table form expressed in miles per week

Optimal Running Volume (for the marathon) - Taken from Brad Hudson's Run Faster From the 5K to the Marathon

Beginner 40-50 mpw

Low-key Competitive 50-60 mpw

Competitive 60-70 mpw

Highly Competitive 80-90 mpw

Elite 110-130 mpw

Note that is optimal, not minimum.

This is great thanks

Gizmo2019

I think the comment was meant to not focus on a single race distance.  Racing at other distances from 5K to HM can benefit your marathon training. I think it also alluded to not focusing so much on the distance of your long run.

Got it. Just bc I reach 26.2 in my practice runs doesn’t mean I’ll do “well”/finish at the race.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

I would wait until the last one is in school.

if you are getting sick all the time something is wrong

if you are not getting enough sleep most days then you are not  going to be able to run hard or long.

maybe cut back to 3 -4 days

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

Half Crazy K 2.0

I look at training plans from books as "best case". In reality, life happens. I did a marathon on an average of about 30 mpw over about 2 years. It wasn't fast, but there was no horrible crash and I passed a lot of people in the second half.

As far as getting sick, any chance one of your kids started a new school or new activity? I don't have kids, but have worked in a school for a long time. Often when people are new to working in a school, they catch a lot of illness their first year.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I had no idea that 200 mi a month was preferable! Mostly bc all the beginner training programs go up to about 20-25 mi for their once a week-longest run.

Again, you're talking about a long run, not base miles.  I think 25 is too much for you.  I have never run 25 in my marathon training cycles; 20 max. Don't worry so much about the long run.  By base miles, I'm referring to consistent, easy runs, typically 4 - 6 miles each.  That's how you can get 40/week without breaking yourself.  6 x 5 plus 10 -15 for your long run gets you 40 for the week easily.  Maybe do a couple 16 - 20 mile long runs late in your training and you'll be fine.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I think something with my body/fat ratio does affect me. I have actually took one day off to help with recovery and now only run 5 days vs 6 days a week.

i did go too fast initially but now I repeat my same goal for 2 weeks , so for long runs: 7 miles for two weeks, then 8 miles for 2 weeks, etc. same with speed: 6.3 mph for 2 weeks etc. as long as I feel like I don’t need breaks and recover well, I’ll increase it a tiny notch after the 2nd week.

despite that, I feel like I d gotten sick so many times within a short period (3xs in 4 mos), that I suddenly can’t get a good rhythm going. & due those illnesses I’m set back, it takes 1-2 weeks to get back where I was which further sets my plan behind.

Do you know what really helped my running so I wasn't getting caught up in those numbers so damn much? Running by time. It takes the pressure off needing to hit a specific pace/speed/distance. On a day I feel a bit more drained, I will cover less distance. On a day I feel like pushing, I can go further. I don't think that's why I don't get sick or injured, but it makes it a lot less stressful. And I'm seeing myself get faster. Yes, I do often have a rough idea of mileage when I'm heading out to run, but I do my scheduled minutes. There's no reason to push hard on a day I'm maybe overtired bc it's not going to get it finished any sooner. Running by time helps me listen more to my body and is a lot more flexible. Just something to consider.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Gizmo, my post above was before I saw your longish post about your life. I didn't intend to sound harsh. I think you're doing great to get in any running while raising the minions and keeping the household together.  Kids are disease vectors, and lack of sleep doesn't help. And those kiddos are your #1 priority; they'll be out of the house before you know it!  So...maybe putting off the marathon for a while is indeed the best plan. By all means, keep running as is feasible, and maybe your running goals can include shorter races. Run for your enjoyment and your health. Running shouldn't be stressing you out.

Also, no apology is needed for your questions. That's what these forums are for.

Good luck and best wishes!

Gizmo2019

I would wait until the last one is in school.

if you are getting sick all the time something is wrong

if you are not getting enough sleep most days then you are not  going to be able to run hard or long.

maybe cut back to 3 -4 days

My husband recommends this too and it makes me sick to my stomach to think I have to keep putting it off. 😔mostly bc I’m the type that thinks what if there’s no tomorrow or our situation changes by then...I’m fighting this but I may have to wait till 2021.

Gizmo2019

I look at training plans from books as "best case". In reality, life happens. I did a marathon on an average of about 30 mpw over about 2 years. It wasn't fast, but there was no horrible crash and I passed a lot of people in the second half.

As far as getting sick, any chance one of your kids started a new school or new activity? I don't have kids, but have worked in a school for a long time. Often when people are new to working in a school, they catch a lot of illness their first year.

Good to know that’ it can be done!

no nothing new. It’s not colds and respiratory (that was just once) but more digestive related (I think).

Gizmo2019

Again, you're talking about a long run, not base miles.  I think 25 is too much for you.  I have never run 25 in my marathon training cycles; 20 max. Don't worry so much about the long run.  By base miles, I'm referring to consistent, easy runs, typically 4 - 6 miles each.  That's how you can get 40/week without breaking yourself.  6 x 5 plus 10 -15 for your long run gets you 40 for the week easily.  Maybe do a couple 16 - 20 mile long runs late in your training and you'll be fine.

You know what I think this sounds doable. I never thought of splitting it this way.

thank you, this was very helpful.

i just always assumed I should do 25-26 miles at least once before the actual race prior to weaning miles.

Gizmo2019

Do you know what really helped my running so I wasn't getting caught up in those numbers so damn much? Running by time. It takes the pressure off needing to hit a specific pace/speed/distance. On a day I feel a bit more drained, I will cover less distance. On a day I feel like pushing, I can go further. I don't think that's why I don't get sick or injured, but it makes it a lot less stressful. And I'm seeing myself get faster. Yes, I do often have a rough idea of mileage when I'm heading out to run, but I do my scheduled minutes. There's no reason to push hard on a day I'm maybe overtired bc it's not going to get it finished any sooner. Running by time helps me listen more to my body and is a lot more flexible. Just something to consider.

I think this is key. I constantly push bc I want to constantly progress even tho I have LOTS of time (original marathon goal was Chicago 2019, then switched to SF 2020). But I want to have the extra time for things like family schedules logistics etc.

usually I can complete my 2-3 times a week 5ks Under 30 min., then a 45 minute run at an easyish pace. Or 20 min hills. But you are right, I should cut myself some slack.

Gizmo2019

Gizmo, my post above was before I saw your longish post about your life. I didn't intend to sound harsh. I think you're doing great to get in any running while raising the minions and keeping the household together.  Kids are disease vectors, and lack of sleep doesn't help. And those kiddos are your #1 priority; they'll be out of the house before you know it!  So...maybe putting off the marathon for a while is indeed the best plan. By all means, keep running as is feasible, and maybe your running goals can include shorter races. Run for your enjoyment and your health. Running shouldn't be stressing you out.

Also, no apology is needed for your questions. That's what these forums are for.

Good luck and best wishes!

Thank you very much LedLincoln. It wasn’t meant to be a sob story but you are correct that I put those kids 1st even before running. Your post wasn’t harsh, no worries. I will try to relax a little and see what my time/body allows.

ive liked all your responses everyone it all helps (except for the ones that say to put off the marathon!! That’s depressing but may be reality).

i will go easy...

thanks I do find this website beneficial!