How do you approach a low-mileage tempo run? (Read 1073 times)

Outside Lane

I looked at your log and you just ran a 5 mile race at 10:28 minute miles. Assuming that was a race effort, the tempo pace you mention here is way too fast. It should be closer to 11 minute miles. You should feel refreshed after a tempo run, not spent. Slow down, and make sure that you warm up before the tempo run.
    I am relatively new to varying the types of runs to train - and I don't mean to hijack this, but can someone define the difference between a tempo run and an easy run? I am asking because it indicates a 10:28 pace for a 5 mile race above - and a tempo pace for 11. What would be an easy pace here?

See how they run...

flatland mountaineer

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Prince of Fatness

but can someone define the difference between a tempo run and an easy run?
        I try to run by feel, so that is how I am going to try to explain it. Hopefully we won't start getting into a run by feel vs. HRM vs. some other gadget conflict. Tempo run - The best way I can describe it is that I am running comfortably hard. When I am done I feel like I could run more, and I usually feel refreshed. The pace ends up being somewhere between HM and marathon pace. Easy run - You're not pushing hard here. I like the talk test for this one. If I can carry on a conversation I am running easy. This is generally around 1 to 2 minutes slower than tempo pace. Hope that helps.

Not at it at all. 

Outside Lane

See how they run...