Racing every two weeks - training in between? (Read 630 times)

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

I'm doing the St. Louis Track Club Frostbite series.

Distances are 

10 mile

20 k

Half Marathon

The races are every two weeks.  Last year I did 3 of the 5 and most of last year, whenever I raced I got a small injury and took a week before I could train again.

This year I am not much faster but I am a lot tougher - today's race I PRd for 12k by about 45 seconds, but I didn't get hurt and I'm ready to train again.

Given that the races are every 2 weeks, what is the best way to train / taper in the short window between races?

Bill Wagnon / stl

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I would not  taper.Given your current mileage. Do easy training runs. Use the races as speed workout.

PS: Can speed workouts be done barefoot? Confused

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Sees-the-Ground

barefootin'

Oh yeah everything is barefoot!

Bill Wagnon / stl

old-runner

I race every week. To me it's just like a tempo run at race pace. The only tapering I do is usually short mileage the day before a race (usually just a mile or so). Seems to work.

I race every week. To me it's just like a tempo run at race pace. The only tapering I do is usually short mileage the day before a race (usually just a mile or so). Seems to work.

Yeah - I do the local 5k on Saturday morning if I'm not doing anything else and don't taper. Anything up to about HM distance you can go out and just run during normal training. If you particularly want to have a go at a good time then it probably makes sense to have a couple of easyish days before hand.

Why is it sideways?

These guys are on target, but I would be careful not to prioritize the "train through" mentality over the "race well" mentality. That's backwards thinking!

Before each race, take at least two easy days, and I would choose a couple races during this time period as "goal" races. Before these races,really back off the week before (instead of the standard two workouts a week, back down to one workout, maybe 5 days removed from the race and then just run short and easy headed into the race.) This will serve three purposes:

1) You will race well!

2) It will give you a good down week to absorb your training.

3) If you run your race really well, this will be an extra good workout that you can build from.

Racing frequently over short distances for a season is a really good idea for most runners because you will teach yourself how to race well and take lessons forward from race to race. Good luck!