Reebok realflex (Read 505 times)

wickedlady

Anyone?

Made an impulse purchase. They look kinda cute, and are super comfy.  But do I actually try running in these things? Clown

Anyone?

Made an impulse purchase. They look kinda cute, and are super comfy.  But do I actually try running in these things? Clown

They are cute little shoe and definitely built around the sound "concept"--that the shoe should not restrict natural movement of the foot.  Of course, I have a tape of Arthur Lydiard saying just that in the 1983 clinic and I remember him saying the same thing back in 1980 Seattle clinic.  There was a clinic I attended, in Beaverton, OR, sponsored by Nike and Nike rep got a little annoyed and he asked a question of "correct" shoes.  Well, a wrong move; Arthur went on listing a dozen things why some of their shoes were "wrong".  Of course, it's interesting that now they come out with shoes like Free or this (Impluse) kind of shoes 30 years later, saying the very thing Lydiard had said all along.

It is also interesting, however, that if you take a look at this page here: http://www.finishline.com/store/shop/_/N-/Ns-P_BestSellers%7C1/Ntt-reebok+realflex+?sourceid=paidsearch&cid=adwords&mkwid=skUYnuDea&pcrid=6910055166&gclid=CMfLncCvkq0CFYTsKgodNSHAnA and click the individual shoe, you can see the view from the bottom.  These shoes, to me, seem way too straight.  Human foot has a certain curve and, as far as I'm concerned, the most important thing with the shoe is the shape of the sole should fit the shape of the foot.  If not, that's when you start to pronate or supinate.  Also interesting that, in the little video, the guy's talking about how kids run on their toes (you know what I mean) and that's the natural way of running; yet, they built up the heel part of this shoe.  Doesn't really make sense, does it?  

The worst part or it, to me, is; when you take a look at their "toddler" shoe, because they are using the same rubber and the thickness stays pretty much the same, they are the bulkiest of all!!  Kids, particularly toddlers, are the ones who REALLY need flexible shoes.  As a parent, the worst thing you can do to your kids is to put their soft tiny shoes into cast like these.  Now, I don't have them and I haven't even touched them yet so they might be soft as mushmallow, I wouldn't know.  But from the looks of it, I highly doubt it.  So, from this perspective, they seem to say the right thing; but in the end, they ignore the concept and simply following the fad.

wickedlady

They actually feel quite natural and flexible... conforming to the shape of my foot, and all the little nubs are very soft and flatten out with each step.  I don't have much experience with "naturalist" style shoes though so that that for what it's worth...

wickedlady

and PS why on earth would there be a need for toddler running shoes? lol