What's more important...heart rate or pace? (Read 1541 times)

Ok, I'm not trying to start a war here and the fact that I posted here means that I'm talking about beginning and intermediate runners. There's a post in the gears forum about buying a 205 vs 305 and most people that have chimed in seem to indicate that they don't care about HR. This doesn't make sense to me because if I have to look at a number, I think HR is much more important than pace. The biggest problem most beginners face is either over- or under-training. If someone tells me that they ran 10 miles at 9:00/mile that means nothing. If the same person tells me they ran that with an avg HR of 200 BPM then I would suggest they slow down before they die. If they say their HR was 70 then I would suggest they speed up.
    Actually neither absolute value tellls you anything. HR needs to be relative to LT HR or VO2max HR although max HR can be used also. This is why I always people how their breathing was or were they able to talk or whatever.
    I understand that during a race, pace is everything but what's the obsession with pace during training? I understand that level of effort or feel may be a better indicator than HR but it takes a long time to dial those things in properly.
    Actually, if you work at it, it's not that hard. I "learned" to run by HR training and learned to correlate HR and effort. When running hills, the HR response might be too slow to properly gauge your effort. If I went too hard or too long, I'd be gasping, almost hyperventilating. With signals like that, I learned quickly to recognize body signals preceding that. Using your HRM based on HR zones, you'd be likely to keep pedal to the metal too long - like holding gas pedal down until you hit the speed limit and going over it, rather than backing off before hand. Yes, there are still times and conditions when things don't always line up right. But I rarely look at HR during race, and am usually clueless about pace. I'm just headed for the finish line, managing my energy resources up and down hills to get there in the fastest time I can. If one believes in the benefits of various physiological zones for training, then there is a reason to be conscious of effort in training. For me, I find breathing / feel is most correlated with zones followed by HR. But typical estimates of zones are just surrogates for lactate concentration or whatever other measure. IOW, I just run. I should mention also that low HR training is not the same as regular HR training, although for some people they may be similar (for others, they're drastically different).
    "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      I guess I should have stated when I started this thread that I wasn't talking about myself specifically. A lot of you that have chimed in are not what I would call beginning runners. I wasn't here trying to advocate one versus another but I think many of you have missed the point. BEGINNERS LOVE PACE. Find someone that's been running 3 months and you've found someone that can almost certainly tell you what the pace was for their last run. Even if they haven't extracted the number, they know how long it took them to run a certain distance. In probably 85% of those runs they ran too fast. No matter what the pace actually was or how the runner thinks he/she felt, it was probably too fast. Building experience means doing the correct thing and getting positive feedback or doing the wrong thing and getting negative feedback. I ran too fast for 9 months and didn't realize it because my feedback was consistent and I had no prior working knowledge. I just assumed that running sucked and it was supposed to feel awful. I think this is also the attitude most non-runners have and might be what keeps them from running. It was what stopped me until I decided I had to do something about my weight. Anyways, it wasn't until I increased my mileage in combination with a HRM that I discovered my problem and slowed down. In my opinion, if you've been running for more than 2 or 3 years or have been coached at some point in your life then you don't need to worry about it. However, if you're just starting out and you're obsessing about your pace then I still contend that if you WANT to look at a data point then look at HR. If you don't want to look at a data point and just want to complete a distance or run for a certain number of minutes then you are more mature than the average beginner and I commend you.
      2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
      xor

However, if you're just starting out and you're obsessing about your pace then I still contend that if you WANT to look at a data point then look at HR.
        I contend that you worry (aka 'obsess', but I don't mean to be pejorative) about pace and numbers more than 85% of the beginners that I work with. Many beginners I know are excited as all heck to run that first mile nonstop... and then their first 3 miler. Some collect finish times, but many do not worry about it as much as "how far did I go? how far did I go?" Edited to add: Some ask me to help them calculate a pace. And a few of those ask me "what does that mean?" Certainly not 85% of them, and certainly not enough for me to declare that my "beginners love pace". I think you extrapolate somewhat. Maybe not a lot. I do know folks who obsess about a 10:01 mile versus a 10:05 mile. That you do this is not a bad thing... it's just an aspect of the way that you are approaching things. Just be aware that not everybody is like that. I just ran 4 miles. I finished with a heart rate of 120. In and of itself, I have no idea what that means, except that I was not running super duper hard.

Actually neither absolute value tellls you anything. HR needs to be relative to LT HR or VO2max HR although max HR can be used also. This is why I always people how their breathing was or were they able to talk or whatever. Actually, if you work at it, it's not that hard. I "learned" to run by HR training and learned to correlate HR and effort. When running hills, the HR response might be too slow to properly gauge your effort. If I went too hard or too long, I'd be gasping, almost hyperventilating. With signals like that, I learned quickly to recognize body signals preceding that. Using your HRM based on HR zones, you'd be likely to keep pedal to the metal too long - like holding gas pedal down until you hit the speed limit and going over it, rather than backing off before hand. Yes, there are still times and conditions when things don't always line up right. But I rarely look at HR during race, and am usually clueless about pace. I'm just headed for the finish line, managing my energy resources up and down hills to get there in the fastest time I can. If one believes in the benefits of various physiological zones for training, then there is a reason to be conscious of effort in training. For me, I find breathing / feel is most correlated with zones followed by HR. But typical estimates of zones are just surrogates for lactate concentration or whatever other measure. IOW, I just run. I should mention also that low HR training is not the same as regular HR training, although for some people they may be similar (for others, they're drastically different).
          You're talking about concepts well beyond the average beginner unless they have significant aerobic base from another activity. I think poor aerobic fitness and HR training are like oil and water. I do think beginners with poor aerobic base should use a HRM as a brake. It doesn't take long at all for someone with poor base to dramatically increase their HR when they start a workout. Your point is very valid with someone that has a solid base, doesn't do a proper warm up to achieve an elevated HR, and then runs too fast because the HR was low. I know that it takes me about 20 minutes for my HR to reach a base-level for my workout. Compare that to when I started and it took 3 minutes for my HR to peg and would start to drift in as little as 20 minutes. I have ruined many a long run by running the first 20 minutes too fast (by feel) only to realize that I had burned too much too early and now I'm running 8 miles instead of 12 or I'm slowing way down to finish. I think it's important to keep in mind that a lot of people are here to lose weight, improve their cardiovascular fitness, or get into better shape. They are running but they aren't runners. Some of those people will eventually make the decision to become runners but many won't.
          2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

A Saucy Wench

I'll agree that most runners at the beginning run too fast. And I still contend that as a beginner it is ok. If you do ANY reading here or elsewhere, eventually the concept of slow down will get there. As you try to increase your mileage it will come by default. I went through a period of running too fast. Discovered that wasnt a good idea. Most people do at some point. Some take longer than others.
            A lot of you that have chimed in are not what I would call beginning runners.
            A) we were all beginners at one point. B) ummmm....do you think running advice from people who are no longer beginners is invalid and that people who are new to the sport have more valid opinions? I am not saying dont use your HRM, if it works for you great. But I disagree wholeheartedly that it is more IMPORTANT than pace, effort, or none of the above - ESPECIALLY for a beginning runner.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I think it's important to keep in mind that a lot of people are here to lose weight, improve their cardiovascular fitness, or get into better shape. They are running but they aren't runners. Some of those people will eventually make the decision to become runners but many won't.
              These are the same folks obsessed with their pace??

I thought it was this thread... I can't really remember but I was reading it, thinking, just how correct the late Arthur Lydiard was. of couse, I'm biased because I'm running the Lydiard Foundation! But you know, way back in 1961, he started the first ever organized jogging club. They had 20 people, the youngest being 50 and the oldest 74. Every single one of them had a history of at least one heart attack. NONE of them could run a half a lap around the local track (200m) without stopping. Eight months later, EVERYONE of them was running 20 miles WITHOUT stopping. Eight of them completed a full marathon. And, apparently, they ran it in around 4-hours. Considering so many people running today...so much SLOWER, only proves to me that he was doing something right. Beginners LOVE numbers. Yes, they love to know how fast (pace) they should be running and all. But then again, everybody else is eating McDonald and that doesn't make it "good for you". Of course, the end result of that is obesity being nation's epidemic... It's all marketing driven; to sell garmin and to sell heart rate monitor and to sell whatever else it may be! Lydiard's group did what they did with simple pair of sand shoes and shorts. No GU, no garmin, no energy drink, no coolmax, no GoreTex... So what would he say? He would tell you to "go by how you feel." Would beginning runners like to hear that? Absolutely NOT! It's difficult because there's no point of reference--they need to actually use their brain and "senses". This is the nation of "XXX for idiots"; everybody loves to be spoon-fed; they all want a simplified formula. In regards to interval training, we say, "Go by how you feel"; and at letsrun.com message board, we will get crucified with people (or at least one individual under several different posting names) yelling at us saying "such a bogus training method can NOT be the best training!" They all want numbers. Well, that aside, however, if you ABSOLUTELY have to choose one over the other; then heart rate would be a better choice. It reflects "effort" level. 10-minute-mile pace is world different from 10-minute-mile pace when you came home from stressful work day. But HR of 140 when you feel invincible (maybe 9:45 pace???) is an easy effort just as 140 on stressful day (perhaps 10:45 pace???). One of the leading US runners in the 80s, Jon Sinclaire, was being coached by one of Lydiard's protege, John Davies. He was told to run on HR, not pace. So did Kim Jones when she was being coached by Benji Durden. Of course, Jon said it's like driving a car by looking only at tacometer, not speedometer! ;o)
                  I contend that you worry (aka 'obsess', but I don't mean to be pejorative) about pace and numbers more than 85% of the beginners that I work with. Many beginners I know are excited as all heck to run that first mile nonstop... and then their first 3 miler. Some collect finish times, but many do not worry about it as much as "how far did I go? how far did I go?"
                  Perhaps...I know that I was obsessed when I started. I was (past tense) also a very competitive person with a long history of organized sports. If I couldn't win then why would I bother? I know a lot of Type A people (probably way too many) and I can tell you that they are the same regardless of what their fitness levels or ability are. They aren't happy to just be able to complete a mile; they have to finish it faster than the other guy they know. I also work for a company that's a bit fitness obsessed. We had over 30 people run a marathon last year in a company with fewer than 140 employees and we're a tech/electronics company. We have multiple, daily fitness activities and there is a lot of pressure to be fit. I will say, I do like your world...it seems a lot "saner" to me. I played in a softball game last night where we beat the other team 27-3. We batted 4 innings (mercy rule after 5 innings). Guys kept hitting long after the game was out of reach because stats are kept (not that they mean anything except bragging rights on the team). It wasn't until the coach told the team that he wasn't recording anymore stats and we should start making outs did the game end. It's pathetic but it's what I typically see in my life.
                  TJoseph

One of the best ways of learning something is by experience. If you make the mistake of running too fast and pay the price for it, you will remember how that feels. If you start slow, finish strong, and have a great run, you will remember that too. If you run a lot of runs at paces in between, you will remember how those feel. How can a beginner learn to run by feel if they don't make mistakes and learn how those mistakes feel?
                    xor

Well, I dunno if you'd like what you call "my world" that much. From what you've posted, I think it would make you itchy and bored. And yes, what Nobby posted is different from what I posted. This is ok. Nobby is a far better runner than I am, and based on what I've seen an orders-of-magnitude better coach and mentor than me. I'm very ok with this. I have a different perspective gained from the type of person who has come to me for help. It's a big world Smile

Prince of Fatness

I do think beginners with poor aerobic base should use a HRM as a brake.
                        I have a buddy that took up running almost a year ago. He goes up and runs trails around a reservoir nearby. It's a little under 7 miles. His goal was to make it around without taking a walk break. Every now and then I go up with him. It's usually when I want a nice recovery run. I just let him go and follow him around, walking when he wanted to walk. I told him a few times that he was going too fast. I could tell because he could barely talk to me. Anyway, one day I decided to do an experiment. I told him that he was going to follow me. So we went around quite a bit slower than we would had he led. Guess what .... he made it around without walking. It ended up taking longer than he had been taking even with the walk breaks, but he made it. So he didn't need a watch, or an HRM, or any gadget (I had my Garmin, but did not use it to monitor pace). He did it with just a pacer. The first thing he said to me is, "Now I have to make it by myself". Well, he went the next weekend and did just that. So, in one run with someone pacing him, he learned how to slow down.

Not at it at all. 

A) we were all beginners at one point. B) ummmm....do you think running advice from people who are no longer beginners is invalid and that people who are new to the sport have more valid opinions?
                          Sorry, that wasn't my intent at all. I think the advice that comes from the more experienced members of this group is priceless but I also think that with experience comes psychological distance from the pain. Ask a mother during delivery if she would have another child and compare that answer to someone several years removed. Or think about high school and how awful it seemed for so many kids but how those same people now reminiscence. On my first outdoor run I was passed (like I was standing still) by a mom pushing a double running stroller while talking on a cell phone. At the time I could barely breath and probably should have been walking. Now it seems funny to me but at the time it hit me right where it hurt (my ego) and for several weeks I avoided the more popular trails.
                            Well, I dunno if you'd like what you call "my world" that much. From what you've posted, I think it would make you itchy and bored. And yes, what Nobby posted is different from what I posted. This is ok. Nobby is a far better runner than I am, and based on what I've seen an orders-of-magnitude better coach and mentor than me. I'm very ok with this. I have a different perspective gained from the type of person who has come to me for help. It's a big world Smile
                            Oh, I don't know about that! ;o) I was doing some step running with one of the girls I'm coaching last night. The other one said she wanted to join. I actually told her that I prefer her not because I didn't think she was quite ready and this might "invited injury". My Achilles was so sore that, this morning, I couldn't even walk! Here' an injured coach telling his runner to be careful because it "might invite injury"... Convincing, isn't it!? Well, at least I always tell them to "do as I tell you; not as I do!" For MDRA (Minnesota Disatnce Running Association), I've done coaching for Beginning Women Running Class in the past 4 years. We usually have about 40~5o "students", and we're talking about majority being 10~15 minutes for one mile! Just ONE mile. We do a mile "time check" in the first week and the 8th and final week. Sure, we lose some of them; but for those who completed the course, in the past 4 years, 100% of them improved. It is quite exciting. But, of course, I always don't forget to point out that it's got NOTHING to do with coaching; if you haven't done anything and get out and run a mile; then you started to do SOMETHING, 8 weeks later you WILL improve! ;o) I'm against numbers. But when you have 40+ people with varing ability, you've got to come up with SOMETHING to keep them motivated, something measurable, some reference point. Checking your resting HR is actually a very good indication of your fitness level... One lady once asked me about treadmill running. She said she was discouraged that her "pace" was actually slower than, say, a few weeks earlier and she feels more tired... I tried to figure out and asked a few questions. It turned out she was running twice as long as before (30 minutes vs. 15)! Well! I actually told them, IF they run on treadmill, the trick number that they should do is to put the towell over and voer the meter so you have no idea how far or how fast or how long they are running! Go by how you feel. You've GOT to learn to listen to your "Inner Coach". In fact, if you miss that out in the very beginning, it will be hell of a harder work later on to regain that sense. It is even more important in the very beginning to learn this discipline than later.
                              Well, I dunno if you'd like what you call "my world" that much. From what you've posted, I think it would make you itchy and bored.
                              You'd be surprised. Age has tempered me and I spend less and less time with the people I call my friends. Waking up one day and realizing almost everything I thought I wanted was petty and pointless was painful. Change is a slow road, especially when past experiences are trying to take you a different way.
                                I have a buddy that took up running almost a year ago. He goes up and runs trails around a reservoir nearby. It's a little under 7 miles. His goal was to make it around without taking a walk break. Every now and then I go up with him. It's usually when I want a nice recovery run. I just let him go and follow him around, walking when he wanted to walk. I told him a few times that he was going too fast. I could tell because he could barely talk to me. Anyway, one day I decided to do an experiment. I told him that he was going to follow me. So we went around quite a bit slower than we would had he led. Guess what .... he made it around without walking. It ended up taking longer than he had been taking even with the walk breaks, but he made it. So he didn't need a watch, or an HRM, or any gadget (I had my Garmin, but did not use it to monitor pace). He did it with just a pacer. The first thing he said to me is, "Now I have to make it by myself". Well, he went the next weekend and did just that. So, in one run with someone pacing him, he learned how to slow down.
                                I did the exact same thing with a friend of mine who was basically killing himself. He'd been running 3 miles @ 9:00/per and I took him on about a 4 mile run that took about 45 to 50 minutes. When we were done I asked him how he felt and he said he felt great. Then he asked how far we'd gone and I told him and I could see him doing the math in his head and he asked me, "Why the hell did we run so slow?" Confused